Corona Virus in Argentina

There are 521 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 63,771 times. The latest Post () was by UK Man.

• Sounds awful. The pandemic has already saved us from having to celebrate 3 birthdays. Always look on the bright side of life.....

Actually our big family parties tend to be pretty good

average attendance 45-50

all like a good drink and a laugh.

Not sure what will happen this year and what state we will be in for Xmas and New Year

• Family renuions have not just been banned. They have been outlawed, and it's not just family renuions. If you are "caught" having someone in your house for a social visit then you face punishment of up to 2 years in prison. Some outlets report it is for 10 people but nowhere in the decree does it say this. Oh yes, this was done by decree, in other words on the whim of one person in an effort to control a population. Just some months ago the country when apeshit over a move to help older people by offering them to stay in doors and access a phone number for help they needed. Let's hope Argentine's attack this DNU with even more vigor because this is outright dangerous. Where else in the world is it illegal and punishable by prison to have someone in your house?

I think some people will think "well, if I have one person in my home, no-one will know, no-one will care, and the police probably can't even be arsed to enforce this".

From what I understand the police must respond to every complaint of this nature. Now, they may not push the letter of the law for that one person depending the situation, but is it worth the risk? I live in a building where they would know if I brought in just one guest and they would 100% report me. My brother in law was working on his motorcycle in his garage with the door open last week. A neighbour reported him and the Old Bill showed up. They told him they were embarrased to be there but they had to respond to all such reports. They also told him regrettably he had to close the door.

Either way, whether this "law" is followed by people or the police is besides the point, its very existence is an afront to democracy.

• By the way, it does piss me off that people are now openly disobeying stay at home measures. While this is frustrating and shows a lack of awareness, I think it is more demonstrative of the cat being out of the bag, so to speak. People are done with this lockdown and the government is scrambling to avoid having to address the economy on even terms, even if it includes threatening prison for having your grandmother around for mate.

• Official Post

Quite so. The cat is very much out of the bag and where we live, it's a very popular cycling route by the river in Olivos and every single day fro the last couple of weeks, hundreds of cyclists have been riding past.

It used to be a weekend thing, but since those don't exist any more, it's every day because no one is working.

The mil had to come around yesterday for a virtual doc appointment and she needed our help. She's 83. Are they going to put her in prison?

• Quite so. The cat is very much out of the bag and where we live, it's a very popular cycling route by the river in Olivos and every single day fro the last couple of weeks, hundreds of cyclists have been riding past.

It used to be a weekend thing, but since those don't exist any more, it's every day because no one is working.

The mil had to come around yesterday for a virtual doc appointment and she needed our help. She's 83. Are they going to put her in prison?

Wouldn't it be you going to prison for hosting her?

My wife, me, and the two kids all have DNI's attached to my MIL's house, so I guess we could visit her place without much hassle. However, does that mean if someone erroneously reports us at our apartment, we will all go to jail for social gathering in a place that isn't our legal address (even though we lived her 6 years)?

• Official Post

Coronavirus: Alberto Fernández anunciará que se producirá en el país la vacuna de Oxford

se confirmó que la novedad es que se producirá en la Argentina la vacuna de Oxford que ya están en fase 3. Consultado sobre ello, González García, sin confirmarlo, respondió a América TV: "No está mal, el gobierno de la Argentina le ha pedido eso a dos o tres grupos, así que está dentro de lo que les hemos pedido de entrada: tener disponibilidad pronta, precio accesible y transferencia de tecnología para poder hacerla acá".
    • Official Post

Not surprisingly, the government announced yet another quarantine extension. Meanwhile, rumour has it that the flights that were supposed to resume in September, have been moved to October.

Just like in everyday life in Argentina, Argentinians are stubborn and will resist any external pressure. This applies also to higher levels, politics, management.

Cheap vegetables and nice weather don't cut it anymore for me...

• Not surprisingly, the government announced yet another quarantine extension. Meanwhile, rumour has it that the flights that were supposed to resume in September, have been moved to October.

Just like in everyday life in Argentina, Argentinians are stubborn and will resist any external pressure. This applies also to higher levels, politics, management.

Cheap vegetables and nice weather don't cut it anymore for me...

Wouldn't be surprised if it goes on into 2021 in some shape or form. Especially after hearing the wife this morning saying according to what she read the ''latest'' Argentine virus figures aren't exactly the latest. :rolleyes:

• Yip the figures are getting massaged .......

Not sure if deliberately or by accident.

Apparently when they announce the deaths , it is not actual deaths that have happened in the 24 hour period , but deaths reported in the last 24 hours .

I can imagine that there is some false reporting but a huge amount of inefficiency as well.

HOPEFULLY THIS GETS SORTED SOON....

• It would seem the establishment where figures are compiled hasn't been fully operational due to the lockdown. So God only knows where the government are getting the numbers from. ^^

I suspect Argentina isn't the only country guilty of this.

• Official Post

The quoting function seems not to be working for me.

UK Man: Alby said that the vaccine will be ready in the first semester of 2021. I.e. end of summer. Booooo!!!

He also said that Argentina and Mexico are the two producers of the Oxford vaccine... like they wanted to preserve the best of the best in the world. We will be lab rats. :nono:

GlasgowJohn : I have never gotten massaged by accident, so I had a strong idea on this one... :D

• Official Post

Gathering of max 10 people outdoor allowed. Don-t-call-it-quarantine has been extended to September 20. No more joke press conferences with embarrassing graphics and updates.

Restaurant can have outdoor space for guests. Will Palermo Soho become the new epicenter or the first area to spring back to normal life? I don't know if I should be happy or worried. With so little people on the street, it was becoming sketchy even in daylight...