Corona Virus in Argentina

There are 521 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 63,798 times. The latest Post () was by UK Man.

• We have a friend whose Peruvian relatives came in March, had the 2 doses before the end of April, and went home. As far as I can tell, anyone who shows up at vaccination sites in New Orleans can be vaccinated. No charge.

• Official Post

Since Argentina is on the red list for travel to the UK, a ten day hotel stay is mandatory regardless of whether you've had the jab. It's also stated that, coming from a red list country, you would need a British passport or residency, so I would have to travel alone even if I decided to travel in the first place.

Imagine being stuck in a hotel room for ten days?

Although it's not recommended, I would try to make the best of it by uploading diary videos to YouTube every day, catch up with my writing, try to exercise and also to get some kind of gaming PC or laptop into the room.

On the other hand, this lady travelled to Colombia...

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-london-57287212

• Official Post

Since Argentina is on the red list for travel to the UK, a ten day hotel stay is mandatory regardless of whether you've had the jab. It's also stated that, coming from a red list country, you would need a British passport or residency, so I would have to travel alone even if I decided to travel in the first place.

I haven't researched in depth the issue. So far, I am in the fantasy stage, but with just $753 USD round trip to Milan via Amsterdam, I am VERY tempted. You can enter Italy on an Italian passport for personal or health or business reasons. A friend flew in from LA and he said it is all self-reported. They simply call you on you mobile mobile to check if you are self-quarantining. You can quarantine at home, so that would be no concern. I also think nobody would want to meet me coming from a red list country, but my immediate family, which is also fine.

I haven't been home in three years and I have a medical device to get checked/replaced. If shipping was an option, I would consider it. But since we are in F**-me-customs la-la-la-land, that option is not on the table. I am also asking to my uncle, who lives in the UAE, if I could get vaccinated over there.

coming from a red list country

I know that people overcome this by making a stop over in a non-red flag list (can be any European country, at this point).

• Official Post

Although it's not recommended, I would try to make the best of it by uploading diary videos to YouTube every day, catch up with my writing, try to exercise and also to get some kind of gaming PC or laptop into the room.

On the other hand, this lady travelled to Colombia...

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-london-57287212

• The video of the woman in quarantine in the UK after a trip to Colombia wasn’t as depressing as our Argentine friend’s description of the quarantine hotel in BsAs, But it sure didn’t make me want to travel, either.

serafina , do you know whether stopping at a European country would sidestep the red-flag quarantine requirement in the UK? Or would the Passport Control official look beyond the last stopover and note the trip’s origin point?

• Official Post

They aren't the ones checking your certification. It is my understanding they have other personnel that merely check the certificate and ASK the question. Of course this may vary depending on the country / airport /time of the day.

Today I investigated this further... to be able to leave, I need a PCR test within 72 hrs from my departure. It costs 7800 ARS.

Upon arrival, I have to do another PCR for 85 EUR and isolate for 10 days. After that, I need to do a further PCR or an antigen test (from 55 EUR the antigen, and from 85 EUR the PCR).

To come back I have to do another PCR within 72 from departure, so another 85 EUR, and then an antigen one upon arrival (2500 ARS).

All the saving in the ticket goes toward COVID-19 tests. That's close to 300 EUR in COVID-19 tests.

Not to mention if when coming back I am found positive like Rice 's friend... should I also pay for the hotel or can I isolate elsewhere?

• I think there’s no doubt that you’d have to stay in the quarantine hotel, serafina . Our friend has Argentine citizenship and her home in BsAs just sitting there, and she wasn’t allowed to quarantine at home.

BTW, Semigoodlooking , I forgot to answer your question about where in the city her quarantine hotel is. It’s in Cerrito, near the Obelisco, which she can see from her window. She describes the hotel as a not-very-remodeled 1930’s bldg. she’s not allowed to have a coffee pot because “it would overload the fuses.”

Oh yes, and she’s been told that she’ll be arrested if she attempts to break quarantine.

Welcome To The Hotel California.

• Official Post

What does it change what you answer? I mean, they aren't checking on you at home. Answer Argentina, go home and go out the next day. It is just a checkmark on a file.

My friend who travelled from the US said they were simply calling him on his mobile phone to check on his health. He could have been anywhere. And there is nobody checking your ID or your health records when you go out and about.

After reading the current rules, they do not make much sense. You are exempt from the self-isolation period if you need to attend a medical appointment in your target country. It would be one of the reasons of my visit and I was calculating my potential stay taking into account that I should stay locked up for 10 days before I can even out my nose out of home (just to get a second PCR!)... instead I find out I can go out on the next day if it is to go to a medical appointment.

It seems silly.

With many countries already allowing tourists in, it seems I could take a vacation elsewhere in Europe and then head to Italy and avoid any self-isolation period and be in compliance.

• Yet another disastrous days figures in cases as well as deaths.

On the plus side I've seen many more youngsters wearing masks than I ever have. :thumbup: Usual maskless idiots spotted as is the norm unfortunately. Mostly male....tossers!