“Notable Bar” La Biela possibly permanently closing

• Although we have never been customers of La Biela, it is such a stunning landmark in Recoleta that we’ve always appreciated it, often scanning the patrons under the spreading Banyan tree, to see if Robert Duvall might be drinking a coffee and reading his newspaper there.

I’m sad to see that it might become a victim of the quarantine, and sadder still to think how many iconic and historic restaurants and bars in the city may also be gone forever.

https://www.infobae.com/socied…s-vamos-a-poder-resistir/

• Frankly, I don't understand how any business can survive given the current regulations. The government forces business owners to pay 100% of their employees salary for 5 months with minimal chance of working. Some businesses are doing okay anyway (such as food delivery like pizza, empanadas, ice cream), some are struggling (dieteticas did not usually deliver, verdulerías it depends etc.) and some are completely off (like cooking tools, carpets, etc.)

• I hope that they will be able to spring back once the economy improves. These places are usually well positioned, and since going to a cafè is a cheap pleasure, they are very popular among Argentinians.

I have noticed that in Argentina one hardly ever invite people over, they'd rather meet in public places. In Italy I never arranged to meet for a coffee in a café. It was simply a thing that 'happened' while doing other things together or when casually meeting on the street.

Whereas in Argentina meeting for a coffee is a 2-3 hours affair. In Italy, you invite people over for coffee if you want to sit that long chatting. Bar owners don't like people occupying a table for 2-3 hours spending just a few dollars.

• The Telegraph reported that a very favorite restaurant of ours, El Trapiche, has closed permanently. Yet I’m not seeing that on the internet. So we are hoping against hope that the news is incorrect.

Located on Paraguay esq. Humboldt, it was an anchor business in Palermo Hollywood before there was a Palermo Hollywood. Always bustling with business people at lunchtimes, it boasted one of the most complete menus in the city, with dishes served by efficient but friendly waiters on crisp white tablecloths.

Predictions are that unthinkably high percentages of restaurants will permanently close, all over the world. It will be especially painful to see iconic ones like El Trapiche close in Buenos Aires, and I’m hoping that it isn’t really gone.

• This week, many 'gastropubs' have started putting tables outside. However, a cold, rainy weather didn't help.

Last afternoon, I spotted a couple of brave friends having their beer sitting on stools with 9 °C and drizzle, but that's about it.

Driving through Santa Fe, I saw some tables at Bonafide, Havanna, etc with 1/2 people drinking disposable coffee. Better than nothing!