Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House

There are 45 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 18,393 times. The latest Post () was by ben.

• Less racista than in the 60 and the 20 or KKK does not mean not racista. Does it? Calling Anil Dash a racista is ironic. The MAJORITY voted Trump. The problem is not Trump. We the people. Trump believes he is not a racist. Typical racists believe that they are not racists.

How else would you characterize his comments?

I'm going to do something not very popular (or considered necessary, these days): I'm going to define terms and premises. No good all of us rambling on if we mean different things for the same words. This, from Wikipedia, is typical of what we find under "racism:"

"Racism is the belief in the superiority of one race over another, which often results in discrimination and prejudice towards people based on their race or ethnicity."

"The ideology underlying racist practices often includes the idea that humans can be subdivided into distinct groups that are different due to their social behavior and their innate capacities as well as the idea that they can be ranked as inferior or superior."

The root, then, is when we substitute thinking in group terms instead of evaluating each individual based on his/her characteristics and capacities. It goes, "A is a member of group XX. XX's are liars and thieves. A is therefore a liar and a thief." The obscenity of that syllogism is obvious when we face it head-on: people can be divided into groups statistically. We know nothing about an individual when we know only group membership.

Yet Mr. Anil knows everything about "whites," and is eager to apply this "knowledge" to condemn individuals. So it's ironic to call a non-Caucasian racist? If he practices racism, it isn't. And if you disagree, please tell me what part of his comments on whites could be seen as anything other than "the idea that they can be ranked as inferior or superior."

• A couple points:

Firstly, in the tech/design industry, Anil Dash is fairly well known as an irreverent but thoughtful figure. He has more than a few thought-provoking pieces under his belt.

Secondly, I am not sure what you mean by asking whether "his comments on whites could be seen as anything other than 'the idea that they can be ranked as inferior or superior'". He was making exactly the opposite point. He referred to differences between the "success" of Asian-Americans and white Americans to make the point that this kind of discourse is not acceptable. The thread started with a conditional: If Asian Americans talked about white Americans, the way whites talk about black folks. The point being - you shouldn't.

Is your point that whites don't often refer to blacks in with a subtext of under-achievement and crime? They do. Hell, I do. The point about Asian Americans was simply to put a new twist on that - that there is a group that beats whites at their own game, so to speak. With the point being, explicitly, that that game should not be played.

I do airline tickets, car rental, hotels, cruises, insurance, and all-inclusive packages.

If you want great service and low prices, look no further.
    I also sell local SIM cards for several countries.
    ben@kanfeinesharim.com