Police shootings and general behaviour in the USA

There are 138 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 21,842 times. The latest Post () was by Splinter.

• Official Post

Well that's just fine, but if people don't stand up for their rights nothing would ever change. It's all very well suggesting that people should instigate change through voting and lobbying their representatives but the fact is that blacks in America are targets and I can't see that changing under the current administration.

• ok....

How are u feeling about the police officers shot yesterday.....one shot in the head from behind......several others severely injured.....

Great or....?

Finally moving along......

And I'm sure that the police brutality and racism arrived around 3.5 year ago, because the 8 years before, it was non existent! Very similar to the amount of villas and poor people here in Argentina that suddenly came in a matter of 4 years if semi dictatorship.....

• Well that's just fine, but if people don't stand up for their rights nothing would ever change. It's all very well suggesting that people should instigate change through voting and lobbying their representatives but the fact is that blacks in America are targets and I can't see that changing under the current administration.

One's right's does not include the right to loot and or damage property or put someone's else life in harm. Please, do not tell me about the "poor black man". If they want change then let them get their ass out and vote.

• daniel ........it's such clichés.....

Always by loosing, it's against your constitutional rights......meaning if someone is in power you did not vote for..... exactly same childish argumentation here in Argentina.

This incident with Floyd would have happened exactly the same way under Obama!!!!

• I continue to see y’all bunching the demonstrators in with the arsonists & looters who are hiding behind them and trying (successfully, apparently) to make us think that it is people protesting racial inequality / police brutality who are responsible.

For those of us who have never been oppressed, targeted by those more powerful, or afraid for our lives when we simply drive our cars or walk down the street: how wonderful for us that we have never been in a position to feel a need to protest our situation!

Several hundred demonstrators marched down the street, just 3 buildings from us last night. Their voices were loud and angry, but they were there not to destroy property but to protest, as is the honored American tradition from the 18th century.

Would you have opposed the Boston Tea Party, @JAN and daniel ?

• Official Post

daniel the poor black man as you so coldly refer, is guilty from the moment a white policeman looks at them.

@JAN it's not a childish argument to rise up against police brutality, especially since American racism is so deeply engrained, especially in the South.

No one condones the wanton destruction but you two are determined to take our eyes off the ball here, which I find disturbing.

• Racism/bigotry happens in almost every country.....happens here and certainly used to happen in Glasgow to some extent.

I had thought the racist situation in the US had subsided over recent decades but obviously not.....although it has to be said I never really paid much attention to it. Therefore I have no idea how much of it is real or manufactured for other purposes. Therein lies the problem.

• I think perhaps ‘wherein lies the problem’ could be that those of us who aren’t oppressed can tell ourselves that a black man who is murdered by a policeman crushing his windpipe, while his brother policemen look on passively, could even possibly be manufactured for other purposes.

Like those three other policemen, we find it more comfortable to look the other way and blame the victim.

• I don't wanna think about how a right Wing "peaceful" protest just like this would have been portrayed in the news....really put a smile on my lips to think of the headlines!

(In these sad and difficult times).

The resemblance with the right/left here is quite similar...... remember all the feminazi boludas one year ago?????

Funny how un important all their thematics have become the last 6 months.....but at least the poverty fall and the rights of the poor got stronger.

But to boil it down: when the left-wing demonstrate, riot and kill, it's in the name of justice....

When the right wing express their opinions, it's nazi terror and dictatorship approach!

The current happenings in USA just makes these pathetic Hipocrites even more visible!

I hope all the left-wing is happy and proud of what is going on in USA, keep up the good work!

• Your framing is simplistic and specious, @JAN:

Lefties bad, righties good.

Do you remember how pilloried Bajo was for his tired old “Macri bad, Cristina good” Knee-jerk response?

Let’s wait for the facts to come in before, from thousands of miles away, we declare that the looting & arson are being done by the left.

And btw, your parroting right-extremist Rush LimpBalls’ cute little put down of feminists by calling them feminazis was a tired old saw 30 years ago. Please, if you must find a hater to quote, choose one with fresher material?

Love and kisses, sweet Jan!

• I am not sure its a case of left wing and right wing @JAN

I know quite a few left wing racists......

I think everyone can agree that it is correct to protest peacefully against injustice

It is correct , no matter your skin colour.

But is it correct that white supremacists ( right and left wing ) are allowed to protest in favour of their extreme views?

• The Rev. Gina Gerbasi is the Rector at St. John’s, Georgetown, and was at St. John’s, Lafayette Square, DC, when this all went down this evening. If you are looking for a primary source account, here it is.

16177729_10154404185329624_8753427674742159383_o.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_sid=dbb9e7&_nc_ohc=SE3kz8gzcl0AX9mY_6N&_nc_ht=scontent.faep7-1.fna&oh=55a521688e86f6fa07499eeeeb0d5b6e&oe=5EFA797F

Gini Gerbasi is with Julia Joyce Domenick.12 hrs

Friends, I am ok, but I am, frankly shaken. I was at St. John's, Lafayette Square most of the afternoon, with fellow clergy and laypeople - and clergy from some other denominations too. We were passing out water and snacks, and helping the patio area at St. John's, Lafayette square to be a place of respite and peace. All was well - with a few little tense moments - until about 6:15 or so. By then, I had connected with the Black Lives Matter medic team, which was headed by an EMT. Those people were AMAZING. They had been on the patio all day, and thankfully had not had to use much of the eyewash they had made. Around 6:15 or 6:30, the police started really pushing protestors off of H Street (the street between the church and Lafayette Park, and ultimately, the White House. They started using tear gas and folks were running at us for eyewashes or water or wet paper towels. At this point, Julia, one of our seminarians for next year (who is a trauma nurse) and I looked at each other in disbelief. I was coughing, her eyes were watering, and we were trying to help people as the police - in full riot gear - drove people toward us. Julia and her classmates left and I stayed with the BLM folks trying to help people. Suddenly, around 6:30, there was more tear gas, more concussion grenades, and I think I saw someone hit by a rubber bullet - he was grasping his stomach and there was a mark on his shirt. The police in their riot gear were literally walking onto the St. John's, Lafayette Square patio with these metal shields, pushing people off the patio and driving them back. People were running at us as the police advanced toward us from the other side of the patio. We had to try to pick up what we could. The BLM medic folks were obviously well practiced. They picked up boxes and ran. I was so stunned I only got a few water bottles and my spray bottle of eyewash. We were literally DRIVEN OFF of the St. John's, Lafayette Square patio with tear gas and concussion grenades and police in full riot gear. We were pushed back 20 feet, and then eventually - with SO MANY concussion grenades - back to K street. By the time I got back to my car, around 7, I was getting texts from people saying that Trump was outside of St. John's, Lafayette Square. I literally COULD NOT believe it. WE WERE DRIVEN OFF OF THE PATIO AT ST. JOHN'S - a place of peace and respite and medical care throughout the day - SO THAT MAN COULD HAVE A PHOTO OPPORTUNITY IN FRONT OF THE CHURCH!!! PEOPLE WERE HURT SO THAT HE COULD POSE IN FRONT OF THE CHURCH WITH A BIBLE! HE WOULD HAVE HAD TO STEP OVER THE MEDICAL SUPPLIES WE LEFT BEHIND BECAUSE WE WERE BEING TEAR GASSED!!!!

I am deeply shaken. I did not see any protestors throw anything until the tear gas and concussion grenades started, and then it was mostly water bottles. I am shaken, not so much by the taste of tear gas and the bit of a cough I still have, but by the fact that that show of force was for a PHOTO OPPORTUNITY. The patio of St. John's, Lafayette square had been HOLY GROUND today. A place of respite and laughter and water and granola bars and fruit snacks. But that man turned it into a BATTLE GROUND first, and a cheap political stunt second. I am DEEPLY OFFENDED on behalf of every protestor, every Christian, the people of St. John's, Lafayette square, every decent person there, and the BLM medics who stayed with just a single box of supplies and a backpack, even when I got too scared and had to leave. I am ok. But I am now a force to be reckoned with.

• Do you remember the advice that, to understand another person, we must walk a mile in his shoes?

In this morning’s NYT there are some comments by demonstrators.

The anger is different this time. After years of Americans being killed by the police — more than 1,000 per year, for as long as statistics exist — something has changed over the past week.

The gruesome video of a Minneapolis police officer kneeling on George Floyd’s neck plays a role. So does a pandemic that’s disproportionately killing African-Americans. And so do the angry, racialized politics that President Trump encourages.

Here are some of the voices from the protests, which have included many people who say they’ve never protested before:

“In every city, there’s a George Floyd,” said Michael Sampson II, 30, of Jacksonville, Fla.

“It could be my father, my brother, my uncle, my cousin, my friend,” said Victoria Sloan, 27, of Brooklyn. “It makes me angry.”

“I’m speaking for everybody, all my kinfolk, all my brothers and sisters who’ve gotten beaten up by police,” said Cory Thomas, 40, who said the police beat him when he was a teenager in Brooklyn. “I don’t condone the violence,” or the looting, he said, “but at the end of the day, no 14-year-old should be beat up by police.”

“There are people out there who are very negative,” D.J. Elliott, 30, a gym manager in Harlem said, in frustration about a small number of late-arriving, violent protesters. “And this is their golden opportunity.”

“If we don’t fight for change we’re not going to get it,” Douglas Golliday, a 65-year-old resident of a Minneapolis suburb, told The Star Tribune while waiting to be taken to jail along with his 44-year-old son, Robert, and other protesters.

“I took six rubber bullets, but do you know what didn’t happen to me?” Elizabeth Ferris, a 36-year-old Georgetown University student, told The Washington Post. “No one kneeled on my neck.”

Ashley Gary of Minneapolis said: “We’ve been through Jamar Clark, we’ve been through Philando Castile, and there was no justice whatsoever. We’re tired of it, we are very tired. My son, he’s 16 and six feet tall, and I don’t want him to be taken as somebody bad because he’s a bigger black man.”

“I came out peacefully to show my support, and the police are aiming right at me,” Mariana Solaris, a 20-year-old from San Bernardino, Calif., told The Los Angeles Times, after the police fired foam pellets at her. “I saw this on the news earlier tonight,” she said, “and I thought, ‘No way is it really like that out there with the police.’ So I came out to see. And, yeah, it’s really like that.”

• “Wanton thuggery” pretty much covers it. Yesterday my husband saw video footage on the news that included an officer on horseback running right over someone.

I used to be embarrassed when something showed up on international news that showed the dark side of America. Now I am starting to think we must reach rock bottom, and in full view of the world, before our voters wake up and change the country back into a place we can all be proud of.

I think I’ll have some baseball caps printed up with “Give America Integrity Again.”

• The Rev. Gina Gerbasi is the Rector at St. John’s, Georgetown, and was at St. John’s, Lafayette Square, DC, when this all went down this evening. If you are looking for a primary source account, here it is.

16177729_10154404185329624_8753427674742159383_o.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_sid=dbb9e7&_nc_ohc=SE3kz8gzcl0AX9mY_6N&_nc_ht=scontent.faep7-1.fna&oh=55a521688e86f6fa07499eeeeb0d5b6e&oe=5EFA797F

Gini Gerbasi is with Julia Joyce Domenick.12 hrs

Friends, I am ok, but I am, frankly shaken. I was at St. John's, Lafayette Square most of the afternoon, with fellow clergy and laypeople - and clergy from some other denominations too. We were passing out water and snacks, and helping the patio area at St. John's, Lafayette square to be a place of respite and peace. All was well - with a few little tense moments - until about 6:15 or so. By then, I had connected with the Black Lives Matter medic team, which was headed by an EMT. Those people were AMAZING. They had been on the patio all day, and thankfully had not had to use much of the eyewash they had made. Around 6:15 or 6:30, the police started really pushing protestors off of H Street (the street between the church and Lafayette Park, and ultimately, the White House. They started using tear gas and folks were running at us for eyewashes or water or wet paper towels. At this point, Julia, one of our seminarians for next year (who is a trauma nurse) and I looked at each other in disbelief. I was coughing, her eyes were watering, and we were trying to help people as the police - in full riot gear - drove people toward us. Julia and her classmates left and I stayed with the BLM folks trying to help people. Suddenly, around 6:30, there was more tear gas, more concussion grenades, and I think I saw someone hit by a rubber bullet - he was grasping his stomach and there was a mark on his shirt. The police in their riot gear were literally walking onto the St. John's, Lafayette Square patio with these metal shields, pushing people off the patio and driving them back. People were running at us as the police advanced toward us from the other side of the patio. We had to try to pick up what we could. The BLM medic folks were obviously well practiced. They picked up boxes and ran. I was so stunned I only got a few water bottles and my spray bottle of eyewash. We were literally DRIVEN OFF of the St. John's, Lafayette Square patio with tear gas and concussion grenades and police in full riot gear. We were pushed back 20 feet, and then eventually - with SO MANY concussion grenades - back to K street. By the time I got back to my car, around 7, I was getting texts from people saying that Trump was outside of St. John's, Lafayette Square. I literally COULD NOT believe it. WE WERE DRIVEN OFF OF THE PATIO AT ST. JOHN'S - a place of peace and respite and medical care throughout the day - SO THAT MAN COULD HAVE A PHOTO OPPORTUNITY IN FRONT OF THE CHURCH!!! PEOPLE WERE HURT SO THAT HE COULD POSE IN FRONT OF THE CHURCH WITH A BIBLE! HE WOULD HAVE HAD TO STEP OVER THE MEDICAL SUPPLIES WE LEFT BEHIND BECAUSE WE WERE BEING TEAR GASSED!!!!

I am deeply shaken. I did not see any protestors throw anything until the tear gas and concussion grenades started, and then it was mostly water bottles. I am shaken, not so much by the taste of tear gas and the bit of a cough I still have, but by the fact that that show of force was for a PHOTO OPPORTUNITY. The patio of St. John's, Lafayette square had been HOLY GROUND today. A place of respite and laughter and water and granola bars and fruit snacks. But that man turned it into a BATTLE GROUND first, and a cheap political stunt second. I am DEEPLY OFFENDED on behalf of every protestor, every Christian, the people of St. John's, Lafayette square, every decent person there, and the BLM medics who stayed with just a single box of supplies and a backpack, even when I got too scared and had to leave. I am ok. But I am now a force to be reckoned with.

GlasgowJohn , thank you for posting this. I hadn’t seen it, and this minister’s firsthand account speaks much more graphically than anything I’d read.

Cheap theatrical stunt indeed.

• I hope u r happy and proud of your country Rice , that's the most important!

I personally have no relation to USA like mentioned many times......so I could really give a damn! (But I do!)

Btw, anyone here in this thread putting thoughts a prayers out to the families of the 4 dead police officers the last days.....one executed with a shot in the back head. (These deads are only in relation to the riots, beside these u have a few deaths a day, every day). Probably just another white sob......

Regarding me mentioning the feminazis here: it's just such a classic example of sponsored pseudo associations.......

You have plenty others here.....

Assuming you are Caucasian Rice , how would you feel about a Molotov cocktail through the window, or a beat up on the street? (Not threatening, just try to make you understand that anyone can end up being a victim of these "peaceful" protesters). Please dont carry any anger then........and also if they light up your car, stay calm and chill out.....it's just a cry for help and fully legitimate!

• daniel the poor black man as you so coldly refer, is guilty from the moment a white policeman looks at them.

@JAN it's not a childish argument to rise up against police brutality, especially since American racism is so deeply engrained, especially in the South.

No one condones the wanton destruction but you two are determined to take our eyes off the ball here, which I find disturbing.

Splinter... I have worked and lived all my life around black people, some of my best friends are black, I have seen racism and prejudice, between both black & white. I certainly do not condone what that policeman did, but no matter how tragic this incident, the guilty party will and should have their day in court. What do you suppose the reaction will be if the verdict is not one that pleases? I have nothing against standing up and being a man but being an idiot, is totally different.

• @JAN

Peaceful protesters dont throw Molotov cocktails

Anarchists do , as do other parties trying to hijack peaceful demonstrations.

Please dont mix them up , as you tend to do in every post you make.

I have friends who were in protests last night in NY , NJ and in Minnesota.

They all talks about being provoked by the forces of law and order.

But they remained peaceful . They also mentioned that some of the agent provocateurs who were being violent got off lightly and some mentioned they had a "close " relationship with some of the police.

Surely not in the USA?