Covid-19 realities: The Department of Do As I Say, Not As I Do

There are 60 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 10,903 times. The latest Post () was by JAN.

• GlasgowJohn has it right. I don’t know if it was auto fill in or wishful thinking on my part, but clearly the elections are in Nov 2020, not 2019.

If the American public cares anything about the country’s future, they will remember the dumpster fire these past 3.5 years have been, and will vote for a sane leader instead of the one who has ruined the country’s reputation while gutting the institutions that make the government work.

If the American people again vote for the person who is over his head right now, then as Argentines often say, they will have the government they deserve.

Which will happen? I honestly don’t have enough faith in the public to make a prediction.

Biden is hardly a bright new dawn. Personally, I am disillusioned with what the Democrats have become but ultimately I am left of center so support many of their ideals. Luckily I am not from the US so don't have to vote. I dislike Trump and the Republicans, but I wouldn't be delighted about giving Biden and the Democrats my vote either.

Perhaps the best way to view Biden is as an interim president. In other words, a chance for the political landscape to breath and sort of reset itself. He won't be radical, he won't make some neccesary deep changes, and he probably won't rock the boat. I like Biden for the most part, but he is deeply rooted in the establishment. In four years time, hopefully someone more forward thinking can emerge as a viable presidential candidate.

• I don't care who wins to be honest. However I find it incredible that in a country the size of the US the opposition can't come up with a better candidate than a 77 year old has been?

If I had to put money on it then I would bet on Trump.

• ^ That's basically my issue. Fact is, there were better candidates than Biden. I am not sure Biden can beat Trump because he is only promising a return to the political mire so many were tired of when they voted Trump. I still think many people underestimate the support Trump has and further underestimate the amount who dislike the Democrat establishment and may not vote at all.

• ^ That's basically my issue. Fact is, there were better candidates than Biden. I am not sure Biden can beat Trump because he is only promising a return to the political mire so many were tired of when they voted Trump. I still think many people underestimate the support Trump has and further underestimate the amount who dislike the Democrat establishment and may not vote at all.

Couldn't agree more. The impression I get is it's run like a gentlemans club and it's now Bidens turn to receive the favours. Just the sort of establishment thing Trump loves to take the piss out of.

• try and Google "Obama+ hypocrisy"......see what comes out.....

Even before googling, I Could come up with several examples which fits into this threads title.....

"Stay humble" "you only need one house" "money is nothing" and all this crap.

I think the Michelles wineyard was probably the best example.....

Nothing better than a black gospel preacher......

Even before googling, I Could come up with several examples which fits into this threads title.....

Come on @JAN , give the guy a break. You may not like him but he has some class and is streets ahead of the guy who is currently in the WH.

Is it a bad thing to have cash that you worked for?

@JAN , I think trump is counting on people forgetting that Obama’s humility or Michelle’s vineyard (?) have nothing to do with this election, and reverting to racism.

Rice - what are people in USA saying about Biden and the alleged sexual assault incident?

GlasgowJohn , there’s the usual spectrum of reactions, largely but not entirely informed by our current tribalism:

FuxNews and Trumpers pretend that this is proven truth and spread the allegation gleefully;

Biden campaign pretends it couldn’t be true;

Many women wish we didn’t have to choose between two men with these allegations;

Many men blame the “Me Too” movement for encouraging women to think/say they’ve been assaulted;

Some point out the hypocrisy that trump, with a pending sexual assault lawsuit and 11 similar or worse allegations, has the timerity to point a finger at anyone else;

One NYT op-ed was headlined “I believe Tara Reade. I’m voting for Biden anyway,” meaning, I suppose, that in the light of a badly-handled pandemic and a crumbling government, there are more important issues;

Biden himself has said she has a right to be heard, and he has called for a thorough (Republican) Senate investigation;

And probably the minority response is “Let’s wait and see if this allegation is confirmed.”

Couldn't agree more. The impression I get is it's run like a gentlemans club and it's now Bidens turn to receive the favours. Just the sort of establishment thing Trump loves to take the piss out of.

UK Man , Trump does like to take the piss out of the establishment, all the while taking cronyism, favoritism, and receiving favors (most recently, $930,000 to trump companies) to stratospheric levels. There has never been such a “Gentleman’s Club,” but his ungentlemanly behavior, selfish actions, bullying, lying and vulgar speech fool people into thinking he is just the Average Joe rather than a sleazy politician.

• what are people in USA saying about Biden and the alleged sexual assault incident?

I could care less on whom or what he has either wanted too or even wants to take to bed. I do not like or trust the man, so my vote, for now would be for Trump. To be honest, I can't see why anyone would even want the job, given the circumstance. Do I think someone from the Democratic Party has some kind of miracle, to rid the World from covid-19, I seriously doubt it.

• I could care less on whom or what he has either wanted too or even wants to take to bed. I do not like or trust the man, so my vote, for now would be for Trump. To be honest, I can't see why anyone would even want the job, given the circumstance. Do I think someone from the Democratic Party has some kind of miracle, to rid the World from covid-19, I seriously doubt it.

Sure, but if you are willing to vote for Trump that means you support the Republican party, yes?

That's fine but you would have voted for Trump regardless of Biden, no?

I mean, If I was from the US I probably wouldn't want to vote for Biden and either wouldn't vote or look for an independent. However, I would never vote for Trump simply because the party he represents goes against my politics. Would you be democrat (left) one election and Republican (right) the next? That's really walking the centrist line.

• Official Post

I could care less on whom or what he has either wanted too or even wants to take to bed. I do not like or trust the man, so my vote, for now would be for Trump. To be honest, I can't see why anyone would even want the job, given the circumstance. Do I think someone from the Democratic Party has some kind of miracle, to rid the World from covid-19, I seriously doubt it.

If you can't trust Biden daniel , you can trust Trump?

• I would never vote for the person. When I say I wouldn't vote for Biden, I mean what he represents, which is the political class. The "Gentleman's Club" UK Man talked about. I vote for my politics, and the Democrat party is so lost in its own leftist mire it would make it hard for me to support them. I say that as someone on the left.

However, the Republican's I could never vote for, even if they put Jesus forward as a candidate because, I don't agree with their ideals.

So, if you don't like Biden, I am with you. But I don't think that should automatically transition into a vote for Trump.

• UK Man , Trump does like to take the piss out of the establishment, all the while taking cronyism, favoritism, and receiving favors (most recently, $930,000 to trump companies) to stratospheric levels. There has never been such a “Gentleman’s Club,” but his ungentlemanly behavior, selfish actions, bullying, lying and vulgar speech fool people into thinking he is just the Average Joe rather than a sleazy politician.

Yes I agree.....at least he makes it obvious it's all a pantomime. I think that's his appeal. ^^

• Official Post

NO!!! I vote for the candidate that I think can lead the country, and not apologize, for what the USA is or change it to something it isn't.

daniel

Would you say Trump is doing a good job of leading the country, especially in this current crisis?

And if not, do you believe that 'establishment Biden' would do a better job of leading the USA?

• Yes I agree.....at least he makes it obvious it's all a pantomime. I think that's his appeal. ^^

Hypocrisy is his appeal?

God help us.

NO!!! I vote for the candidate that I think can lead the country, and not apologize, for what the USA is or change it to something it isn't.

By far, my biggest objection to trump is exactly what you say:

A). He is definitely NOT leading the country (latest and most glaring example: malpractice on handling the covid crisis. Jan: Complete silence. Feb: “our 15 cases are very quickly going down to zero.” April: Clorox and UV lights, anyone? May: “Anyone who wants a test can get a test.” And today: “We will have a vaccine very, very soon. And If not, the virus will go away on its own” ).

B). He IS changing the US to something it isn’t. I won’t go into comparisons with the paths of other countries led by strongmen.

C). But he definitely never apologizes. For anything. Because he never makes a mistake.