Meanwhile, in the Ministry of Conspiracy Theories

There are 74 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 13,923 times. The latest Post () was by Rice.

• MSM - Mainstream Media

I include it all in that. All the TV news stations, newspapers, and mainstream social networks. I think they are all as bad as each other and all as good as each other, if you lock yourself in a bubble and only read/watch what fits your narrative. And Rice is correct that social media is not largely a part of the traditional MSM definition, but how can we say Facebook and Twitter are not mainstream these days.

Rice - That's the problem really, it is not an interesting pairing. Both are garbage. But that wasn't my point. I am saying if I am going to watch CNN (or MSNBC would be close to my own views probably), how can I not then watch some Fox News to at least attempt to understand the other point of view? One of the biggest problems in the culture divide we are clearly going through at the moment is people are happy in their echo chambers.

• Semigoodlooking ....

To reply to post, since that seems the only one a little clarifying and explanatory....

Just as u I watch and read a wide range of news channels and feeds.

Actually fox, I think is one I would have watched or read 10 times over the last years, until a month ago or so.

I watch a lot C5N, because it's better than any comedy.

I have tried now a million times to explain that I think a neutral search machine search would return a lot of hits from any direction. To ridicule that idea is just behind stupid , sorry!

People trying to convince me about the a "cup" is a box with four wheels on, or that the riots around the globe specially USA, was peaceful protests, will not succeed, sorry! I suggest the people that believe that because it fits their political agenda, should seriously follow your advice and read a broader spectrum of news feeds.

By luck, even with my poor English, I'm actually able to pick up news information from many parts of the world in other native languages, German, Danish, Swedish, Dutch, French, Spanish etc., And not only English speaking news media......which should to a certain extent guarantee a more global perspective.....(the ones I read internationally is actually middle to left wing biased, so spare the pathetic attacks).

Again I asked this question before:

What are the Gods of news information here on the board using, since it seems like my information is totally wrong.

I'm stunned that people can really shoot down other peoples argumentation with "bad news, bad information", pretending that their own information is more neutral and non biased.

I would like to know that news channel, maybe it's from pope Francis or someone even higher up.

With nearly every number or argument I would post, I would be able to post a link to a website that would be exactly as legible as any other numbers or arguments posted by other members. But again, the political orientation does not favor such comments.

And since this is the thread of conspiracy theories: the theory that the neo Nazis or right wing KKK members are behind the riots and instability around the globe is just outright stupid.....that really fits in this thread title as good as can!

Someone continues banging on that idea to push it through, should really use neutral news searches and maybe look at some of the pictures coming up also.

But ok, why not just keep the idea as fully legitimate argument and then ridicule other people posting the contrary.......

• Just read this on the NYT: a really interesting look at how teachers of very young children are using TikTok. It is marvelous!

“Want to know what teaching looks like in 2020? Check out this viral video from Mackenzie Adams, a kindergarten teacher in Washington state, as she mightily tries to get the attention of her young pupils — and teach them how the mute button works.

18schoolnewsletter-tiktok-articleLarge.jpg
    Screen grabs from the TikTok video of kindergarten teacher Mackenzie Adams.

It’s keeping them engaged and looking at me,” Adams, 24, told The Times. “That’s where those facial expressions come from and those big gestures.” (One Twitter user, taking note of Adams’s efforts, said she “should literally be paid one million dollars a year.”)

Teacher TikTok is a booming new genre, as educators across the country post their Baby Shark stunts, enthusiasm and tearsunder hashtags like #teacherlife2020 or #teachersoftiktok, garnering millions of views.

For teachers with younger students, it’s especially challenging to hold their focus — and teach them the life skills that may not be learned easily on video chat.

“The academics are going to get done,” said Arielle Fodor, a kindergarten teacher in California, who has been documenting this semester in videos. But she worries about their social skills and fine motor skills: “How do you hold a pencil? How do you make a friend?” On video chat, that’s harder.

“I am like: ‘OK, I know you don’t have the motor skills for this yet, your muscles in your hands don’t do this, but can you drag and drop?’” said Fodor, 28. “‘Can you click a button with a trackpad?’”

Some of Fodor’s best tips for virtual learning — games to play, apps to use for story time — have come from other teachers on TikTok. They’re encouraging one another and sharing strategies, a socially distanced platoon trying to weather an uncertain school year. Tech frustrations are universal.

“My biggest stress is the connection,” said Sofia Murillo, 23, a kindergarten teacher in Nevada who recorded a video about computer glitches. “When I see a kid wanting to answer a question and then they’re devastated because I tell them, ‘I‘m sorry, I can’t hear you,’ it breaks my heart.”

To help students remember how to unmute, Adams holds up a paddle with the picture of the microphone icon.

“Go ahead and turn your microphone on for me,” she says in the video, calling on a student. “What kind of picture do we see? Hmm,” she said, tapping her lip. And then, silence. “Can you get your microphone on, so we can hear you?”

(Download TikTok to explore those teacher videos while you can: The Trump administration announced this morning that it plans to ban the Chinese-owned app from U.S. app stores. )“

• Are the Same-Old, Same-Old conspiracy theories boring you to sleep? Here’s a new one to check how much you’ve lost your grip:

“The Birds Aren’t Real movement parrots (!) a conspiracy theory that birds are not real and instead are being used by the government in surveillance.

"What makes me think that? I think the evidence is all around us, birds sit on power lines, we believe they're charging on power lines, we believe that bird poop on cars is liquid tracking apparatus," Peter Mcindoe, the leader of the movement, told a local news outlet on Friday. 

“The movement began in 2017, when McIndoe, an English and philosophy major at the University of Memphis in Tennessee, held up a sign at the local Women's March that read, "Birds are a myth; they're an illusion; they're a lie. Wake up America! Wake up!" The meme quickly went viral, and the Audobon Society reported that while the campaign is political satire to many followers, to others, it is "no more unbelievable than QAnon."

“As conspiracy theories over politics and the coronavirus pandemic took off in the last two years - some spread by former President Trump himself - the movement has grown, now offering merchandise called "truther gear."

TheHill.com

OK.  Now we’re at the heart of the matter.  Like all good conspiracy movements, this one stands to make money by selling their gear.  This one seems like old fashioned $atire.

• Official Post

Really?

Robert F. Kennedy Jr. compares US Covid-19 vaccine policies to Nazi Germany

Son of Robert F. Kennedy compares Covid-19 vaccine policies in America to Nazi Germany - CNN Video
    Robert F. Kennedy Jr. speaks at a rally against vaccine mandates, where he compares vaccine mandates to Nazism. CNN's Brian Todd reports.
    www.cnn.com

• Formula shortage is major news in USA. Abbott Labs’ Michigan factory produced 1/3 of the country’s supply (not good). After a contamination problem, Abbott closed the facility and the supply chain ground to a halt. The President has invoked the Defense Production Act to produce identical formula in other factories; meanwhile, the US is importing from approved facilities in Europe, to cover the massive shortfall.