Is the lockdown causing more problems than COVID 19?

There are 96 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 16,376 times. The latest Post () was by Splinter.

• Official Post

Is the cure unnecessarily worse than the disease? 5

1. Yes (3) 0%
    2. No (2) 0%

Argentina has been in total shutdown for about 11 days now, with other countries having taken this step much earlier.

However, with the dire state of the Argentine economy already being evident long before the virus outbreak, it's clear that the lock-down is going to plunge this country into an even more severe financial crisis, with most of the population being unable to earn even a basic living and default is not out of the question.

From a personal standpoint and bearing in mind that my income is based on locally generated income through Mercadolibre sales, computer repairs and motorcycle courier work, that income has now been reduced to ZERO.

My partner's income as an accountant (she is the bread-winner) has halved and we now face a very uncertain future, just like the majority of the population.

I would argue that a more flexible lock-down be instigated, allowing certain small businesses to open, maybe on certain days, perhaps related to DNI numbers, thus enabling at least some trade and production. Kiosks, for example, are ubiquitous and provide a very useful service to millions in this country, but most, if not all, are now closed, as are banks.

The point I'm trying to make here is that the damage of a full and protracted lock-down in Argentina will be felt for years to come and will make 2001 look like a walk in the park by comparison.

• I fully agree!!!! The outmass of the lockdown will be devastating!!!!

You NEED to let shops start opening up, at least just for through the window sales.....

Beside that there are many things u could release a little, f.ex. traveling by car.....when u use the car u do not expose yourself or anyone to danger!!!!

Something else:

Nobody yet, knows WHO or which country is the one that did this the most correct way......which country managed the coronavirus the best and came out the best? Still unknown! Could be it will be Sweden, could be Germany, could be China, could be Argentina, could be whatever country.....we don't know yet! But ok we have a few countries that we can exclude I think.....Italy and Spain and USA f.ex.

The aftermath from the argentinean approach will be devastating I fear....but let's see......

• Our retail tennants have all been closed. Rents are due next week so it'll be interesting to see how many 'cough up'. One is always reliable for paying on time the rest will use any excuse to stall so I suspect they'll be taking advantage of the situation to avoid paying at all.

• I read somewhere that there will be more dead from bankruptcies than from the virus itself

Wouldn't that just fit a populist totalitarian communist country good: make the people die that where supposed to live, and make the ones supposed to die survive..... trying to fight nature and evolution!!!!

• I would say right now no. I think the country can bounce back from three weeks. However, I have been saying for weeks that allowing a lockdown to run beyond a month and then into a second month will result in massive problems. I really think at some point governments around the world have to choose between people dying from COVID-19 or suffering the economic fall out.

And I don't mean putting the economy before lives. I mean the economic fall out will cost lives. You will have the slowburn effect of economic corosion that will see people lose money, starve, crime rates will soar, and more. This won't just happen in the months following the lockdown but could trickle on for years and maybe decades, depending on how long this goes on. In the UK I keep seeing stories about the lockdown going on for six months. Impossible unless the government is really going to support people.

I think we have to get to a point where a robust plan of re-introduction is started. I am not sure how that will work, but along the lines of certain job sectors being allowed back to work and allowed out, practising social distancing within reason, implementing curfews to stop parties and gatherings in the evenings and weekends. From there, if the first phase is successful, open the doors to more sectors, such as education. Of course, during this time, the vulnerable people should be kept in full lockdown. Travel would only be open to essential needs fr maybe six months (i.e., no vacations).

By the way, social distancing within reason cannot include public transport. Unfortunately, we can't get away from the fact that buses and trains will be full, unless the government magically clicks its fingers and makes more buses. That's why keeping the vulnerable in lockdown would be important. Of course, this would mean religous practise of cleaning for people who live with those vulnerable.

• Some Kioscos here are still open usually those away from the centre.

I had a job getting the cigarettes I wanted yesterday due to lack of deliveries. Ended up visitng two which are 100 yards apart and still couldn't get them. Had to buy some Lucky Strike for the first time which thankfully turned out to be rather nice.

I'm still not sure why most shops have been forced to close. Most of them are empty of customers at the best of times.

• just came back from my small shopping tour......a few chinos closed by me, of fear from being raided.... others that are open are being guarded by the police! And this is not Matanza.....this is tigre city.....which I would say is one of the most civilized and well controlled hoods!!!!

One group of cops looked very anxious when I pull up in front.....seems like the pirates are coming in cars or trucks and just emptying shops!!!!

• serafina ......I was down to 5 months and 3 weeks, so I needed to restock!!!! Hahaha!

No, joke.....I have stock of all food that can be stocked up, and also freezer full......but veggies I buy weekly and also fresh meat.

• Official Post

From a personal standpoint and bearing in mind that my income is based on locally generated income through Mercadolibre sales, computer repairs and motorcycle courier work, that income has now been reduced to ZERO.

Motorcycle courier work is very sought after these days. I am on a FB group called 'Agenda Amiga' where people ask for suggestion/help on services/products and nowadays most requests are about moto delivery services with a permit to circulate.

Sometimes it is people who need to collect/send stuff to stores, others they have to send stuff to relatives, or are looking for someone who could go grocery shop for an elderly parent that lives far. It looks like crossing the City access is a big deal, so people are looking for someone on the other side of the 'border' for these tasks.

• Official Post

Motorcycle courier work is very sought after these days. I am on a FB group called 'Agenda Amiga' where people ask for suggestion/help on services/products and nowadays most requests are about moto delivery services with a permit to circulate.

Sometimes it is people who need to collect/send stuff to stores, others they have to send stuff to relatives, or are looking for someone who could go grocery shop for an elderly parent that lives far. It looks like crossing the City access is a big deal, so people are looking for someone on the other side of the 'border' for these tasks.

Thanks for that serafina

We're currently trying for the exemption but the government site is down as usual. Most of the bike courier companies around here are operating which is why I'm trying to get this first otherwise I'll be detained.

• Official Post

We're currently trying for the exemption but the government site is down as usual. Most of the bike courier companies around here are operating which is why I'm trying to get this first otherwise I'll be detained.

I suggest you try between 2AM an 4 AM. Is it true that the current permit is valid until April 6, only?

• just went down to the bank in the centre of Escobar

One police control just as you enter the town .

"Morning Sir , Where are you going to?"

"The bank and Coto, Officer."

"No problem . keep your tickets in case you are stopped again."

"Have a good day."

To be honest , all very professional

• Same here whenever we've been on the way back into town. Always three on duty at the roadblock mostly young ones...always very pleasant. In fact the other day they were having a tea break and didn't see us coming. Would have been interesting to see what they would have done had the wife not stopped on her own accord.

• Going through this whole mess and difficult times for whole world, the one thought that crossed my mind: what would have happened if no steps was taken anywhere to prevent the spread?????

It would have spread like a fireball and killed millions probably.....but still a small percentage probably......but it would have done it's job and moved on and all would have been over in just a month or two maybe!!!! It's very cold hearted to think about......but what is ahead of us, globally, is a real disaster....And it will drag on and kill directly but also indirectly........

To be sincere.....I really would have preferred the first option now when I see and realize the chaos that is ahead of the whole planet!

• One thing's for sure the cause of it all has to be investigated and something has to be done. If the f'ing Chinese are to blame, which seems likely, then action should be taken, This nonsense can't happen again.

Having said that I still don't think it's as bad as some are making it out to be.

• Going through this whole mess and difficult times for whole world, the one thought that crossed my mind: what would have happened if no steps was taken anywhere to prevent the spread?????

It would have spread like a fireball and killed millions probably.....but still a small percentage probably......but it would have done it's job and moved on and all would have been over in just a month or two maybe!!!! It's very cold hearted to think about......but what is ahead of us, globally, is a real disaster....And it will drag on and kill directly but also indirectly........

To be sincere.....I really would have preferred the first option now when I see and realize the chaos that is ahead of the whole planet!

Exactly what do you mean, @JAN ? What kind of global disaster do you see that we would not be facing if we had simply let the virus kill the most vulnerable and decimated the world’s population?