Coronavirus around the world

There are 1,097 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 149,765 times. The latest Post () was by Rice.

• Rice

I fail to see your logic between being vaxed and the spread of covid? I see nothing on how any vaccination has lessened the spread of

covid, only the "maybe" that one will not get a serious case, and even that is iffy.

I’m returning to your question, daniel . I apparently failed failed to adequately answer your question. I’m sharing this short article from the NYT, which does a better job (and also explains why masks are so important). I hope you find it helpful.

I’m Vaccinated. When Should I Wear a Mask?

by Noah Pisner, Reporting on the coronavirus

If you’re fully vaccinated and become infected with Covid-19, you most likely won’t get very sick. But you might spread the coronavirus to immunocompromised and unvaccinated people.

Here’s what to keep in mind →

The C.D.C. recommends that you wear a mask in high-risk circumstances, whether you’re vaccinated or not.  Masks are highly effective at stopping transmission.

So, why are Covid vaccines effective at preventing you from getting severely sick, but not as good at stopping transmission of the virus?

The vaccines are injected deep into your arm where they prompt your immune system to produce T cells and powerful antibodies known as IgG.

These antibodies and immune cells circulate through your body, recognizing infected cells. This can offer enough protection to keep you from becoming severely ill.

But IgG antibodies have a hard time reaching the wet, squishy surfaces of your nose, mouth, respiratory tract and digestive system. These areas rely on a different immune response that involves antibodies known as IgA.

New research suggests that current vaccines aren’t as good at eliciting a strong IgA response in your nose and mouth. If you’re vaccinated, IgG antibodies and T cells will prevent you from becoming seriously ill. But the virus can still bloom in your nose.

The Delta variant is especially contagious. The vaccines will still prevent serious illness if you become infected, but Delta replicates much faster than other variants, increasing the chances that you will transmit the virus from your nose and mouth.

Scientists are testing nose spray vaccinesthat might help IgA production — but they won’t be ready for a while.

In the meantime, masks are a simple and effective way to curb transmission.

NYT 16 September 2021

• Fully vaccinated British tourists will be able to travel to the United States from November, for the first time since the start of the pandemic.

Olaf Scholz, one of Germany's most senior politicians, has ruled out a return to lockdown as the government struggles to breathe life into its flagging vaccination efforts.

Horse owners are complaining of higher prices and restrictions on buying ivermectin, a livestock dewormer, as many Americans continue to use it to self-medicate against Covid-19.

The Times, 21 September 2021

• Sputnik has had some good reviews in the medical journals but has still to be approved by a western government

I hear from Europe that it is an anti-Putin manoeuvre by the EU.

Yes I've always wondered how it can attract such high praise. Despite the Russians witholding information about the vaccine and their own people still dropping like flies from Covid many many months after Sputnik V was introduced.

• President Biden pledged to double vaccine donations for poorer countries to 1.1 billion as the United States backed a campaign to inoculate 70 per cent of the world by this time next year. Biden, 78, urged fellow wealthy nations to join the US in donating more doses "with no strings attached". It was seen as a dig at China, which has sold millions to developing nations.

Jens Spahn, the German health minister, has predicted that Germany will have "vanquished" the pandemic by early next year, when the population reaches herd immunity through a mix of infection and inoculation.

The Times, 23 September 2021

• Is there any reliable information on how many Russians have actually received the vaccine?

Sputnik V had received positive reviews in both Nature and The Lancet, publications that I would trust. I received a first dose of Sputnik V and the second of AstraZeneca. I am not in any way unhappy with my level of protection but unlike most people, I want to be covered for international travel. I have heard that both doses of AstraZeneca have the same components so I assume I just need one more injection to be covered for most international locations.
    Right now I am trying to find a way to get that second dose without spending 2 weeks quarantine in an expensive dingy UK airport hotel. Maybe I can fly to Miami and get shots there. If anyone else is in a similar situation and has a solution I would be glad to hear from them.

• Northerner , if you fly to Miami from Argentina, will you start again with one of the three vaccines approved for use in the US? AstraZeneca will get you into the country, but you won’t be able to get a second shot.

In case this helps, it was updated in the NYT yesterday:

For the past 18 months, virtually all visitors from the banned countries, including those that are members of the European Union and a handful of others, have been prohibited from traveling directly to the United States. Come early November, this policy will no longer apply, Jeffrey D. Zients, the White House pandemic coordinator, announced on Monday. Individuals from these countries can fly to the United States, as they did before the pandemic, so long as they can show proof of vaccination and a negative coronavirus test taken within three days of boarding a flight. No quarantine will be required.

• UK Man , I’ve been looking to see if the US recognizes Sputnik as an acceptable vaccine, but can’t find a definitive answer. It is not approved for distribution in the US, but were you able to also verify that it is not accepted as a valid vaccination for people entering from other countries? What about Sinopharm?