Coronavirus around the world

There are 1,097 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 149,774 times. The latest Post () was by Rice.

• Ivermectin in the US is FDA approved for treating parasites, but not for treating - or preventing -COVID-19.

It is astounding that so many otherwise apparently sane people reject the vigorously tested and FDA approved vaccines for preventing Covid infection, yet are happy to drink bleach or rush to veterinary supply centers to buy and ingest a chemical compound formulated for de-worming livestock.

A Google search for any reputable sources endorsing ivermectin failed to deliver any. All praise of this drug seems to come from or through the “FLCCC Alliance,” which dates all the way back to last year. The FLCCC Alliance (Front Line Covid-19 Critical Care) promotes the use of Ivermectin and engages in fund raising.

Analysis: What the ivermectin debacle reveals about the hypocrisy of the anti-vaxxer crowd
    Stores in Oklahoma are struggling to keep Ivermectin, a drug used to de-worm large animals, in stock. In Mississippi, 70% of calls to the state's poison…
    www.google.com

• Our exchange is not going to change either of our minds and there appears to be a lack of interest from others. Almost everything in your post is false.

FDA and the search regulating tool called Google are your sources?

Science magazine is no longer a reliable source?

FLCCC is hardly an isolated group.

BIRD Affiliates - British Ivermectin Recommendation Development group
    Affiliated Organisations The British Ivermectin Recommendation Development Group (BIRD) is proud to associate with health and patients’ organisations from all…
    bird-group.org

Your attempt to paint the situation as ivermectin being chosen by an isolated gang of deluded people who believe in nonsense inspired by Trump is most lamentable if anyone takes you seriously. Otherwise, it's the usual official propagandistic farce.

• Your attempt to paint the situation as ivermectin being chosen by an isolated gang of deluded people who believe in nonsense inspired by Trump is most lamentable if anyone takes you seriously. Otherwise, it's the usual official propagandistic farce.

Let’s be serious. Even Merck, maker of ivermectin, is warning people not to take its drug in an attempt to prevent or treat Covid-19 infections.

But I do agree that the ivermectin tangent seems to be of little interest on the forum. If you want to continue promoting it, perhaps you’d like to start an ivermectin thread? This one is called Coronavirus Around the World.

• Scotland is set to become the first nation in the UK to introduce vaccine passports to gain entry to nightclubs, concerts and major sporting events.

Nicola Sturgeon announced the policy as coronavirus cases north of the border soared to a level 80 per cent higher than last week, and five times greater than they were last month when almost all restrictions were lifted. The first minister said that she was reluctant to reimpose measures that would curtail businesses but added that the surging case numbers were ­"extremely concerning".

Wales's first minister, Mark Drakeford, recently said there were "no plans" to introduce mandatory vaccination certificates for venues due to "ethical and equality considerations".

Elton John is releasing a "lockdown" album of collaborations with artists including Nicki Minaj, Dua Lipa, Stevie Nicks and Stevie Wonder. The Lockdown Sessions, a collection of 16 songs, will be released next month by Interscope Records, the US label.

The Times, 2 September 2021

• New York Times 2 September 2021:

Earlier in the pandemic, most major health insurers [in the USA] voluntarily waived costs associated with Covid treatment. Most tests were free, too.

During this new wave of cases, a routine coronavirus test or a lengthy hospitalization will likely cost Americans significantly more, my colleague Sarah Kliff reports.

That’s largely because vaccines have long been available to adults across the country, so insurers are now treating Covid-19 like any other disease.

Oscar Health, which sells coverage in Florida and in 14 other states, also ended free Covid treatment this week. It cited the widespread availability of the vaccine as a key reason.

“We started waiving cost sharing for Covid-19 treatment at the peak of the pandemic in 2020, when there were few options available for those who fell ill with the virus,” a spokeswoman said.

Although many pointed to vaccines as explanation, the new policies generally apply to all patients, including vaccinated people who get breakthrough infections and children under 12, who are not yet eligible for vaccines.

Most insured patients won’t pay the entire bill, which some research finds to be about $40,000 on average for a hospitalization; they will face whatever share they owe through deductibles and co-payments. Research published this summer found that for patients who had to pay a share of their hospitalization costs, the average cost was $3,800.

• Official Post

Anti-vaxxers have tried to storm the MHRA in London over plans to roll out Covid vaccines to children, even though the vaccine won't be compulsory. I wonder if any of these people were ever vaccinated against smallpox, tetanus and other killers when they were young?

Anti-vax protesters storm UK drug regulator’s London office in protest over planned Covid jab for children
    Protesters have stormed the headquarters of the UK’s Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency in London’s Canary Wharf and clashed with police amid…
    www.rt.com

And in breaking news, the UK government watchdog has ruled out the 12-15 year old vaccine roll out. Will the anti-vaxxers see that as a victory?

UK government vaccines watchdog rules out Covid jabs for children
    JCVI says there is insufficient evidence to support giving jabs to all 12- to 15-year-olds
    www.theguardian.com

• Anti-vaxxers have tried to storm the MHRA in London over plans to roll out Covid vaccines to children, even though the vaccine won't be compulsory. I wonder if any of these people were ever vaccinated against smallpox, tetanus and other killers when they were young?

And in breaking news, the UK government watchdog has ruled out the 12-15 year old vaccine roll out. Will the anti-vaxxers see that as a victory?

yes and yes.

• My Daughter and Son in Law or just getting over covid, along with Maddie, one of our twin Grandchild. The other one, Lizzy, checked positive today.

Our pastor and his wife have both checked positive, along with their school age children. I know I am ready for this stuff to be gone!!!!

• It sounds as if they did not have to be hospitalized, daniel , and I hope not. One of our best friends, also vaccinated, is in his 4th week of slowly recovering from a breakthrough case of covid. His immune system is compromised, so despite the fact that he is extremely careful, he was a sitting duck for the virus, which is everywhere, thanks to all the people who didn’t take the vaccine. We’re so grateful that his fever is finally under control and that he is better every day now.

Risk of severe breakthrough Covid-19 is higher for seniors and those with underlying conditions -- but the unvaccinated still face much higher risks
    Seniors and people with underlying conditons are most at risk of severe Covid-19 if they get a breakhtrough infection. But the unvaccinated face even higher…
    www.cnn.com

• Rice

I fail to see your logic between being vaxed and the spread of covid? I see nothing on how any vaccination has lessened the spread of

covid, only the "maybe" that one will not get a serious case, and even that is iffy. The un-vaxed have made their choice, we do still have a choice???

and now the CDC wants to approve this vaccination for the children and the only voice they will have, are the parents. Our does our CZAR of a

President think he can mandate that also. I think a lot of prominent people are afraid to admit that covid vaccinations is not going to stop

the spread of this virus. I am thru ranting.

The White House will also require nearly all federal employees and contractors, totaling about 4 million people, to get vaccinated or face disciplinary measures

What will our loving President do? Shooot them or maybe round them all up and send them over to our trusting Taliban leaders, I am sure they could

deal with some unruly employee!!!!!

Edited once, last by daniel: Merged a post created by daniel into this post. ().

• daniel , I am so sorry about your family’s covid. I understand why you are so angry, and presidents are often the object of anger, especially from people who didn’t like them from the start and didn’t want them to be president. I get that. I don’t think I really have to defend President Biden’s increasingly strong attempts to protect the American people. That is his job. Doing so makes him a leader, not a czar.

[What gives Biden the authority to mandate vaccinations? The answer is in a 51-year-old law aimed at protecting workers from “grave dangers.” ]

You do not see the “logic between being vaxed and the spread of covid?” Or “how any vaccination has lessened the spread of covid?” The latest CDC study shows that unvaccinated people are 4 times more likely to get covid, 9 times as likely to get a serious case, and 10 times as likely to die from it.

I will put this very simply. Covid is like a forest fire that needs wood to burn. Unvaccinated people are the wood that allows the fire to keep burning and spreading. If everyone were vaccinated, the fire would have no fuel, no way to spread, and it would simply die out.

Unvaccinated people (wood) are allowing the virus (fire) to spread through the population (forest). As long as more than a third of our population choose not to be vaccinated, that virus (fire) will continue to spread.

Any of us who come into close contact with someone with covid, even if they are asymptomatic (do not seem sick), can inhale virus particles from them, and these particles (called a ‘viral load’) can be carried around in the nose & throat area and spread to other people WHETHER THE CARRIER IS VACCINATED OR UNVACCINATED. Most of the time, the antibodies that vaccinated people have, prevent them from getting sick. Occasionally a vaccinated person WILL get covid, though THANK GOD the vaccine almost always keeps them out of the ICU, off of a ventilator, and out of the morgue.

Unvaccinated people, unfortunately, do not have those protective antibodies and are defenseless against this killer virus, especially the extremely contagious Delta variant, at present, the dominant variant spreading in the US and other countries.

We are all in this together. The unvaccinated have made a choice for themselves AND FOR ALL OF US. We will have this virus around infecting people as long as the virus has unvaxxed people to fuel it — and, even more dangerous, as the virus spreads, new and possibly worse variants will undoubtedly develop, potentially new variants that do not respond to the vaccine we now have. This would put everyone - EVERYONE - back in the same boat, with no immunity to fight back.

i hope this helps you understand what is happening. If you want to learn about this coronavirus and its variants, the internet is full of both facts and bizarre misinformation. I would be glad to help you find reliable sources, if you message me.

I hope that, even as you read this, your family is continuing to improve.

• Yes it does seem as if it's going to be around for years in some shape or form. Then again, that's nothing new when it comes to viruses.

I can understand if its the bus driver, but the irony of it all, they don't tell the people on entering the bus, "You can't come in this way, you can only come in that way", some people are just fucking irritating