Coronavirus around the world

There are 1,097 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 150,029 times. The latest Post () was by Rice.

• Heartbreaking for the families and businesses that are adversely affected, but heartening that the intention is to be guided by the facts.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-54767118

What do you do if you live in a country that vehemently challenges the facts, and continues to plunge straight down into the abyss?

Fact: yesterday there were more NEW cases of COVID-19 in the US, than the entire number of cases in China since January 1, 2020.

Let that sink in.

Will that be the case in Argentina at a future date?

• Official Post

One cannot escape the fact that there appears to be an overreaction.

• For a travel writer, she certainly has strong opinions about science, e.g. her support of the discredited Great Barrington Declaration, which leans towards herd immunity.

While reading her screed, it struck me that Boris Johnson would have received far less criticism, had he followed the path of his US counterpart and denied the spread of the virus while abdicating leadership to local officials. This canny move allowed him to avoid all responsibility (an admirable quality in a leader, right?) for fighting the pandemic, while receiving full marks for loudly opining that the states needed to reopen.

Where would the UK be, if Boris had taken the smart route as his counterpart did? Would Britain be #1 in the race no one wants to win?

• Do you prefer your coronavirus from a bat or a mink? (And are the Danes drinking mink soup?!?)

Britain has closed its door to people arriving from Denmark because of a new strain of the virus that has spread in mink farms, and has jumped to humans. Or possibly jumped from humans to minks to humans.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/art…mail_6518692_11081625_144

I certainly hope a new season of Borgen is already in production.

• [This isn’t a political post; rather, an update on one of the countries covered in this thread, the USA, whose new President Elect has announced a plan for aggressively going after the coronavirus. Because of the strict firewall, I’m cutting & pasting the whole thing.]

• China, Germany, and Poor Pitiful Putin:

China has seized on claims that Covid-19 was circulating in Italy last September as evidence that it may not be to blame for giving the world the virus.

German police used water cannons to try to break up an illegal rally of up to 14,000 protesters around the Brandenburg Gate during a furious parliamentary debate over the government's pandemic bill. One prominent right-wing MP described the bill as the doorway to a "health dictatorship".

President Putin is desperate for human contactafter spending the majority of the year in near isolation at his coronavirus-proof residency near Moscow, the Kremlin has said.

Source: The Times, 19 November 2020

• Official Post

Recent announcement from The Boot Inn (a pub in Ludlow, UK) which I'm still trying to get my head around:

Following yesterdays news that Herefordshire is in Tier 2, we can now put in place our plans for reopening to the public and welcome you all back in the safest way possible.

Please note, we are unable to have ANY mixed households (unless you are in a support bubble) indoors and alcohol can only be served with food.

• Apparently the tier system is causing distress, with pub owners saying it is much easier to maintain social distancing there than in sops. Now if someone would just make available masks with valved straws -

And I’m still trying to get my head around pubs that can’t serve a pint without selling accompanying food.

This morning’s Times newsletter brought the following COVID news from around the world:

North Korean cyber criminals are suspected of targeting AstraZeneca, the British Covid-19 vaccine company. Hackers posing as headhunters contacted the pharmaceutical giant's staff on Linkedin and Whatsapp with fake job offers aimed at luring them to provide access to their computers.

China is to put its neighbours first in line when it comes to Covid-19 vaccines being developed in the country. President Xi said the country would give priority to trading partners Japan, South Korea, Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam.

Denmark is planning to exhume and burn the bodies of up to 17 million minks who were killed and buried after a mutated form of coronavirus was found. Emergency approval is being sought from the environment agency over fears that a large amount of phosphorous and nitrogen could seep into the soil.

A Belgium study has shown that nearly half of 2,662 hospital workers who contracted Covid-19 had lost all antibodies within five months. Researchers at the Universitair Ziekenhuis in Brussels could not define specific factors as to why one person lost the antibodies and another retained them, and said that antibodies are not the only aspect that determines the strength of an immune system.