Coronavirus around the world

There are 1,097 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 150,064 times. The latest Post () was by Rice.

• Yip the figures in Argentina are bad and getting worse

Slight improvements in the Capital and the BA Conurbation - but if it was under control the figures should be falling more rapidly.

We are now number 7 in the list of most cases and it looks like we will be number 5 the end of next week.

But when you are out in the street , things seem normal.

There is something very strange and I can put my finger on it.

• Remember when this was all taking off and the coverage of Italy. It was as if the country was falling apart, images of hospitals like warzones, etc. I am not sure if that early coverage was over the top and Italy has bounced back fine, or whether the country was unique in that it was hit hard and fast.

Regarding why Italy gained so much attention (just weeks later the UK was beating Italy's numbers), I think it was when COVID was dominating the news cycle. It just seems the media has mostly moved on on a global level. However, I do find it interesting that in Argentina there is very little "front-line" coverage of what's going on. Are the hospitals overflowing, is the health system buckling? I don't know because the news does not report on the front line of the virus. Strange.

• Official Post

I don't believe the numbers any more. There are no reports of ventilator shortages, ICUs being overloaded or bodies piling up in the streets.

I've even heard from close friends that infection figures include those people who have a family member infected, but they themselves are not. I truly believe that this has gone on for far too long already, the damage is done and we should, observing all precautions, bring this basket case country back to what we in Argentina consider normal.

• Official Post

There is something very strange and I can put my finger on it.

Let us know what's under your finger, GlasgowJohn !

Semigoodlooking , on Easter, we had a zoom session with my university classmates. The wife of one of them is a cardiologist in a public hospital in one of the most affected provinces (Lodi), so we all asked many questions. She got wet eyes when she told us they had to decide who to put on a respirator 'because there weren't simply enough', despite having repeated the same things many times to her family, her husband's family, her own friends, etc.

Another wife is a lab biologist near Bologna, and she also reported that the situation was critical and out of control.

Other parts of Italy weren't so much affected, but the more developed and advanced north Italy was put on its knees for real. They had to call the Army to take away the coffins in Bergamo because the crematory had no enough capacity to keep up with the demand. It is not clear why the rest of Italy wasn't so badly affected.

I called my mother today and she said that the number of cases is on the rise again, it is autumn in Italy and temperatures are going down. The government has put a stricker rule on the use of masks (now they are mandatory anywhere, also outdoor).

• Official Post

Slight improvements in the Capital and the BA Conurbation - but if it was under control the figures should be falling more rapidly.

Unfortunately, I have been writing on the forum since the beginning that I was seeing/hearing people coming and going from neighboring houses. The quarantine was barely followed.

A friend of my husband found a lover, moved in with her, broke and came back, came together with the lover again to sleep with her but back to his GF to live. He never stopped going out, because HE needed to run/go out/have a shag etc.

A family member keeps inviting us over for asado because 'nobody is checking anyway'. Another found a boyfriend, who gave her coronavirus but she won't tell because she is afraid he'll leave her.

Trying to force hand Argentinians is like herding cats. Just the world 'rule' prompt their disobedience by principle of personal freedom. In the end, they did like Americans, and perhaps Trump knew from the beginning that American can't be told what to do. In fact, he left the hot potato to Governors, and people roamed the streets in protest.

I'm amazed that mandatory masks wasn't imposed globally, to be honest.

So are my mother and I. A friend told me that you were mandated to wear a mask indoor and outdoor only if in proximity of other people.

I am not sure how many people would have complied with the mask-all-the-time rule, though. During hot months, it is really a pain to wear the mask.

• Remember when this was all taking off and the coverage of Italy. It was as if the country was falling apart, images of hospitals like warzones, etc. I am not sure if that early coverage was over the top and Italy has bounced back fine, or whether the country was unique in that it was hit hard and fast.

Regarding why Italy gained so much attention (just weeks later the UK was beating Italy's numbers), I think it was when COVID was dominating the news cycle. It just seems the media has mostly moved on on a global level. However, I do find it interesting that in Argentina there is very little "front-line" coverage of what's going on. Are the hospitals overflowing, is the health system buckling? I don't know because the news does not report on the front line of the virus. Strange.

Last week , it was time for my annual check up with the urologist.

You know the one guys , the test we just love every year ! I have the big plan in the Hospital Aleman and my guys nurse is a pretty 30 year old lassie . I can live and dream.....

Anyway , I called to see if they were doing presential(?) appointments or video-conferences.

I was surprised to hear it was presential but in one of the places the Aleman has close to the hospital for their senior people.

Arrived on time , no one in the waiting area and he started the examination . He decided that we should do a few ecographs of kidneys , , bladder and other parts of the male anatomy and some blood work. He said do them now as there are very few people in the Hospital . Sure enough , the hospital was empty - in the area where the do xrays and imagery work , I would expect to be there for between 60-90 minutes depending on the day . I was attended to and out the door in 15 minutes ....

I got the blood work done in ten minutes.

On this experience , the normal hospital is much quieter than usual

A friend went to A&E the other day and said it wasn't too busy

it could also be that people are afraid to go to the hospital

• GlasgowJohn , many people ARE afraid to go to a hospital or clinic now, for fear of exposure to the virus.

But if Argentina’s numbers are so bad, wouldn’t Aleman have been bursting at the seams with them? Or do they have the facilities to treat covid pts there? Are the numbers down so much in Greater BA?

serafina , point taken about stubborn, stupid Americans. Great gravity analogy! Watching a raucous, no-mask political rally, a friend of mine asked “God help us, did all ignorant genes migrate to the US or have a few polluted our gene pools beyond hope??

Someone suggested that the results might be worse in the countries that locked down more. Remembering China’s extreme lockdown, where houses with infected people were welded shut to keep the people inside, I’d have to offer China as a counter example. This morning CNN ran a feature of normal, no virus, no mask life in Beijing today. I wonder if the rest of us will ever get there.

• GlasgowJohn - As you say, there's something strange going on, and I am not really pointing to conspiracies or underplaying the virus. It's just seems weird that numbers are out of control according to the data, but there is so little evidence of it.

News is not reporting the front line, like happened in Italy and the UK (amoung others).

Where are the overflowing hospitals, the COVID wards that are bursting at the seams? If they exist, why don't we ever seen them?

I still don't know many people who have it, did have it, or have died from it. I want to be clear, I do know someone who died within a week and someone who recovered after a couple of weeks and is a shadow of the man he was before. Again, not doubting this virus exists or anything stupid like that. However, I am not hearing about mass cases as the numbers suggest.

Where are the families affected by lost loved ones, there's no coverage on it?

I find what's happening in Argentina puzzling to be honest. It would be nice if there was a level of press here that could probe and question to provide some answers. I

serafina - I wasn't doubting what happened in Italy, but more wondering why the coverage was so in-depth and not elsewhere. First major western nation badly affected and hit hard and fast are probably the reasons, but it was clear even Italy was ultimately not as bad as originally thought. The UK surpassed Italy just six weeks later in terms of deaths, and while COVID dominated the news agenda in the UK, it was never the kind of warzone reporting we saw from Italy.

An extended family member who has been a nurse for 40 years said it's the worst she has ever seen. But at the same time, I have other medical associations who say this has been the quietest year they can remember.

Throughout this pandemic, one of the big feelings has been this is not as bad as is being made out. Whether you agree with that or not, I think it's interesting to explore why this differing opinion exists. One clear reason could be that while COVID is killing tens of thousands in some countries, it is still not really killing "that many". What I mean is, tens of thousands are not that much when you spread them around a country. In other words, the chances of you knowing a large group of people who have it/died from it remains small. That number is not going to make a health system collapse, but it may make a ward dedicated to COVID patients look like a warzone.

• I keep reading that the vast majority of new cases are not in BsAs province, with the fewest cases by far, in Greater BA. But I can’t find any breakdown by province, or any primary sources to check. There is an abysmal lack of accessible facts.

• China as a country did not lockdown hard...The pictures coming out of Wuhan would suggest they locked down quickly and they knew exactly what they were dealing with within hours..

I do find it surprising that the main cities in china were spared what the rest of the world is experiencing .

In the UK it has become a casedemic rather than a pandemic. The numbers are high of so called cases,,,But the governments own figures put those testing positive but with zero symptoms at 89%..Many suggest its much higher. The deaths are so low that covid is now the 24th biggest killer in UK and yet its all we are hearing about.

There is a huge problem around the PCR test ..The whole world is using this test which is seriously flawed as it cannot isolate covid 19 . It picks up any coronavirus inc common cold...Dead remnants of virus..flu shots etc etc. They are also amplyfing at 45 spins where anything over 35 is considered unreliable . Its almost like they are looking for more cases.

The search and trace in UK and i suspect many many other countries are being run by Serco..This is a company Bill Gates is very involved in..They are paid 900 pounds for every person they trace..The latest figures are around 12 billiion so far...A lot of money for just one country.

Here is a very interesting link...4 respected german lawyers( one also a doctor) with an excellent track record in suing big companies are taking the german government to court over there fraud and lies...It explains very well about the PCR test..

The harshest and longest lockdowns are proving counter productive...In fact just today the WHO have turned a 180 and suggested all countries stop there lockdowns as soon as possible...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/heal…ontrol-method/ar-BB19TBUo

Above is a link to WHO statement

• The 3 leading scientists from oxford, harvard and stamford who started the great barrington debate which the WHO have not been able to ignore.

In effect slating everything that has been done up to now and giving there stance on how we should be dealing with this.

Excellent viewing

• Official Post

In the Department of unexpected consequences, The Times reports :

Ken McCallum, MI5's director-general, yesterday revealed that spies have found it more difficult to trail suspects during the pandemic because of empty streets.

Too difficult to blend in I suppose.

Mind you, there are always trees to hide behind.