Coronavirus around the world

There are 1,097 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 150,796 times. The latest Post () was by Rice.

• hairyscotsman ...If what you are saying and what that article is saying, then the wearing of a mask serves very little purpose, it seems this virus is turning into

a, not if you get it but a when you get it. I can only imagen what will happen when schools reopen.

When schools reopen, there could be a serious problem, which is why we should serious question the motives of those who are trying to force schools to reopen even as infection rates are accelerating.

As serafina points out, science is a learning process. As knowledge of the coronavirus changes, so also will the recommendations for mitigating the risk of contracting COVID-19.

This week, scientists have brought evidence of the presence of ultrasmall airborne particles to the attention of the world. From Hairy’s BBC article:

But 239 scientists from 32 countries ... say there is also strong evidence to suggest the virus can also spread in the air: through much tinier particles that float around for hours after people talk, or breathe out.

“Today the WHO admitted there was evidence to suggest this was possible in specific settings, such as enclosed and crowded spaces.

That evidence will have to be thoroughly evaluated, but if it is confirmed, the advice on how to prevent the virus spreading may have to change, and could lead to more widespread use of masks, and more rigorous distancing, especially in bars, restaurants, and on public transport.“

The new discussion of airborne particles that can hang around in the air for hours should remind us that masks are necessary but not sufficient. We need to pay attention to distancing and time spent in enclosed spaces, starting with elevators, subways, buses, and airplanes, as well as stores, gyms, restaurants and bars.

We don’t need to accept the inevitability of contracting this virus; but we do need to be careful and make safe choices. And encourage those around us to do the same.

• Must admit I detest wearing the mask and now pull it down at every opportunity I can. As to their usefullness....apart from when mixing with large amounts of people I think wearing one isn't needed. However I suspect few people would wear them here if it wasn't compulsory.

• Wearing a mask 'may' reduce your chances of catching the virus however probably not as much as some people think....wearing gloves is probably a better idea. Several cases here suggests they caught the virus from others in the family so maybe we should wear one when we're in the house?

• In the US, every day brings record numbers of new COVID-19 cases, states with ICU beds at capacity, hospitals with overflowing morgues. Simultaneously, government officials, desperate not to lose their re-election bids, boast that they have the coronavirus “under control” and attempt to discredit the very scientists with the Sisyphean task of bringing truth and facts to the people.

My husband and I are grateful that we can spend time sheltering in nature. As more and more people that we know, and know of, contract the virus, the reality of this disease has hit home. People who feel they will never get this virus may continue to complain about being quarantined. But we are self-isolating by choice. After a few months without contact with other humans, losing vocabulary from lack of conversations with others, and living the quiet life we aren’t accustomed to, we may be singing a different song.

Fortunately, nature provides beauty around us. And because it is summer in the northern hemisphere, we can take long walks. If we stay until winter, the snow will be deep and the temperatures will be below zero....

But this is how it looks now. Notice how few people are on the beach.

• Rice ... And the one's caught between a rock and a hard place, are the one' who have to face this virus and work everyday. I really have my concerns for my Daughter, if the Mississippi public schools are reopened. My prayers go out to these people!!!!

• Official Post

Although I am somehow pissed at the long quarantine in Argentina, I recognize that I am easily driven by social pressure.

If there wouldn't be any restriction in place, I would be probably go out a lot more, including at the beach, in parks, and maybe even in restaurant or an outdoor café.

The first days we wore mask and gloves before everyone did, the people looked at us like we were banana. A week later, it was made compulsory for everybody.

We have a very limited social circle, but even when we started having the first cases of covid-19 in Argentina and it was clear we would soon be restricted somehow, my husband family invited us for the last asado before the quarantine, which is exactly the wrong thing to do.

I love asado and I love going in Zona Norte, so I reluctantly told my husband to decline. We had to talk ourselves into it (this one works in a school, the other one goes to the university, they all take public transportation, maybe they recently met with a friend who just returned from Europe...) and we were still zealous and un-quarantined.

After 115 days and counting, I may be even more prone to give in...

• Its the school winter holidays next week .....

Two weeks off from home schooling !!

I fully expect to see some sort of relaxation in the lockdown in CABA - not too sure about the Provincia though.

I am hearing rumours that Kiciloff will resign as Governor and will be promoted to Minister of Economy - surely this cant be true......

• What you've just outlined Rice is a salient reminder for all of us, especially the likes of @JAN and others who play down the significance of the virus.

I count myself among that group and should take more care, especially in the work that I do.

Splinter .....

Hilarious how the left wing boboism seems to be very similar all around the world, including Argentina, USA, GB etc......

The extreme need to find someone to blame....

The idea that the spike in infected people in USA have the slightest correlation to the peaceful Molotov parties and collective destruction of public property of millions of anti social wankers and baboons, does not cross ur mind? First idea u get is, it's Trump that did something?

Even when I'm drunk I don't make so stupid comments.....and if I would, I would try to smoothening them out afterwards to try to save my self urinated wet trousers look.

@Mckenna made a very well made and explanatory comment about the left wing and BLM movements.....u r managing very well to oil up ur own disaster....but ok, afterwards u will start to blame the nazi or right wing...... absolutely same strategies as used by ur fellow spunkers here in Argentina.

Do me a favour and don't start to whine around when the reality hits the fan here in Argentina......the left have oiled and greased it up very well themselves....

• Official Post

@JAN

Thanks for catapulting us into outer space yet again. Nobody, except you of course, has even referred to BLM or political movements. We're actually discussing the serious state of disease control, in case you hadn't noticed.

I for one am concerned that, in spite of the best efforts in this country, things appear to be getting out of control.