Tattoos - Do you have one? What is it of? Why don't you have one? What do you think of them?

There are 21 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 4,756 times. The latest Post () was by UK Man.

• I saw the conversation was about tattoos in another thread (Sub topic.) ...

So let's give it it's now thread!

FIRE AWAY!

FTR >>> I do not have a tattoo. And I am not sure what I would want if I were required to. But there are a few ground rules to it, if I had to get one:

#1 - No sayings in a language I am not fluent in, because I could never be sure of what was being said.

#2 - No names or likenesses of other people in my life, because people come and go ... even the ones who you think would never leave.

#3- And design must have a strong connection to who I am and what I believe in .. and whatever is related to it, must be from a long term association to my mind / thinking. i e ... if you haven't thought about it for years, the design could become a regret in a short amount of time thereafter.

#4 - Only to be applied by a professional at the craft who I can see previous results ... It's not like you can fix a bad tattoo or erase it if the "artist" is not competent.

#5 - Never in or on a part of the body where it can't be covered up, if desired or needed.

#6 - NOTHING OFFENSIVE to others. (That could be the majority of whatever you could dream up!)

#7 - Forget everything I have said ... I DON'T want to deface my body:-)

• Mateo

Changed the title of the thread from “Tattoos - Do you have one? What is it of? Why don't you have one? What do you think of the?” to “Tattoos - Do you have one? What is it of? Why don't you have one? What do you think of them?”.
  • @Mateo ,

#2 - Very true. Why do you think so many sailors chose to have a “Mom” tattoo?

#8 - Tattoo would need to be done only with new ink and new equipment, to avoid hepatitis.

and

#7 - ditto. No tattoo here. And I don’t want to eat at a restaurant where the cook or servers have them (see #8 above).

• @Mateo ,

#2 - Very true. Why do you think so many sailors chose to have a “Mom” tattoo?

#8 - Tattoo would need to be done only with new ink and new equipment, to avoid hepatitis.

and

#7 - ditto. No tattoo here. And I don’t want to eat at a restaurant where the cook or servers have them (see #8 above).

Rice - FULLY AGREE!

• Always fancied one just never had the balls to go and get one....my mother used to say it was a sign of being ''common''. ^^

Very much doubt I'll get one now but if I did it would most likely be a leaping salmon or trout.

Your Mother gave you great advice UK.

Question?

Do you fly fish?

• Always fancied one just never had the balls to go and get one....my mother used to say it was a sign of being ''common''. ^^

Very much doubt I'll get one now but if I did it would most likely be a leaping salmon or trout.

Cannot imagine u can go wrong on that...... whitey skinned, red haired with a pink salmon tattoo..... the colors go hand in hand!!! Hahaha

Only tattoo I could go for would b t-hunk...... but his fine alpha yellow hair don't shine through on my skin I think....

Other option would be old German granddad, but it seems like he is out of fashion in West Germany.....beside that it could land me in the slammer or seriously beaten up by hippies n feminazis....

• Cannot imagine u can go wrong on that...... whitey skinned, red haired with a pink salmon tattoo..... the colors go hand in hand!!! Hahaha

Only tattoo I could go for would b t-hunk...... but his fine alpha yellow hair don't shine through on my skin I think....

Other option would be old German granddad, but it seems like he is out of fashion in West Germany.....beside that it could land me in the slammer or seriously beaten up by hippies n feminazis....

Who the heck is t-hunk?

I would have thought a tattoo of a cannabis leaf would be more up your street Jan?

• Official Post

Only tattoos on this body are left over scars from living life.

Ditto. I can't really understand why people like to be poked with needles for fun and deface their body permanently.

And tattoo ink has been linked with long-term issues. After all, it's a foreign substance within your body for years and years.

Tattoo became popular in Italy about 20 years ago. Before then, only people who had been in jail or had an adventurous youth had tattoos, and they were small or just one.

Now people tattoo entire calves, forearms, chest, neck...

Here in Argentina it's terrible and, in my opinion, a sign of the low cultural level of people.

• serafina ...... exactly that's how I see it too......

Tattoos was popular in Europe 20-30 years ago......not anymore!

I believe you maybe have a segment that have tattoos, say 5-10% in Europe, bikers, hippies, prisoners, hard rockers for ex.

But here it seems to be a wide spectrum that have tattoos......

I just have so difficult taking someone serious with a bad tattoo, sorry.....I get fixed on looking at the tattoo talking to them and thinking about how it land there........... probably not because of an extreme IQ or wisdom.

Another thing is, the people that have bad tattoos, say older, above 40, doesn't even seem shy to expose them or maybe consider to remove them...... sometimes I must "fremdschaemen", be ashamed on behalf of another person.......

People in public positions or in authority positions, like police etc., I really prefer not to see tattoos on......

Anybody do want they want, I don't care....

But it does not make a person look more clever!

The huge amount of tattoos here in Argentina could have to do with the fact that people like to show their opinion all the time......with tattoos u can do that 24/7. And one opinion is not enough......some have whole poems written "I am who I am accept me like that BLABLABLA" dreadful!

• Searfina,

You hit the nail on the head.

Tattoos are a sign of a low cultural level.

One famous person gets a tattoo ... and 100K people have to copy it.

Also a sign of people who don't think for themselves.

A great hairstyle ... a fit body ... or a nice outfit ... speaks louder than any ink ever could ... how about a million dollar smile or an even richer personality???

• .......now when we are in the tattoo rant mode anyway.......some tattoos fit better to one person than to another........ hahaha.........a little skinny nerd guy with Satan tattoos and dragon head just looks funny......

Also tattoos that signifies tranquility and balance, like ying yang, on a totally annoyed looking feminazi with PMS, doesn't fit either.....

If I was ever, which I'm not, but anyway, to get a tattoo, it would be something with wikings I guess.....I have a wild beard and bigger build, so I think it would fit into the package.........beside that I love the ones of furious blond/red haired , looking like they are on meth, ready to slaughter what need to be slaughtered.... hahaha

I remember once some years ago a girl came into eat in the restaurant I was working.......very elegant, very sensual, very playing it down......not flashy or primitive......

She had a huge tattoo of a tree of wisdom on the arm......nothing more.....that tattoo was so in place and actually made me even more attracted to her.........but I think that was one in a million.

Beside the Facebook tattoos as serafina mention..... Your whole life in picture....many here tend to have one small statement, that just needed to be made....a secret sign, a dolphin on the ankle, or whatever....still not needed in my opinion.....beside that I cannot stand tattoos in offensive areas, neck, ears, face etc.......even if it's a neutral tattoo.

In northern Europe u r not allowed to tattoo in those areas!

• Jan,

I too had the same experience with a woman who had the perfect disposition and one well placed tattoo of something (I can't remember what anymore???) that became her.

SHE WAS ATTRACTIVE indeed.

• The first place I saw people with extremely serious tattoos was in Geneva, Switzerland in the early 1990’s. There was a young couple covered in tattoos from neck to ankle. I averted my eyes, as it was so grotesque to me. When I looked down, I saw their very young son, whose body was almost as filled with tattoos as his parents’. I sometimes think about that child, a real victim of abuse, and wonder how he feels about his disfiguration.