Carnaval Day here....ever been to one?

There are 41 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 7,654 times. The latest Post () was by daniel.

• Long holiday weekend here because of Carnaval. In all my years visiting and living here I've never been to see it.....couldn't be bothered walking the ten blocks into the centre of town to be honest.

I asked the missus last night what it was all about and she said it's all bands and scantily clad women parading about....the latter piqued my interest enough to think about going along tonight and having a look. I did some Google research for some pictures and here's what I found.

Has anyone been to one in BA?

53503831_2531515766890297_2158675834557169664_n.jpg

• Not for me, except if it's in Rio or Germany!!!!

Rio for obvious reasons and Germany because it's a boozers party........

Here it reminds me more of one of the daily piquetes!!!!!

• ur photo gives good reason to skip it.....

As I stated, and u also, the drums are terrible to listen too.......

And just one question: are those drums made up for this event or are those also used for other "events"......?????

I know the answer I think......!!!!!

I'm passing by piquetes on a daily basis.....and if it's not piquete it's some hinchas from a football team, (again with totally different drums than the two above).

Would be funny if u would make a picturegram over the drums and their owners........3 circles.......see how much they would overlap each other.....

On a distance that would look like one circle I bet.....!

No thanks!!!!

• I hear drums being played every week even when I'm inside the house. They congegrate in the square a couple of blocks away to practice. No idea why they have to practice cause all they do is bang them....even I could play them.

• UK Man ......

Maybe I come to u one day, we get drunk and go and bang on the drums also....... maybe we'll like it hahaha!

Sorry to be "nazi" in my comment, but trash is not only garbage on the street.......can also be noise, smell whatever........the amount of unnecessary noise in even "quite" parts of BA, like be me in tigre is incredible!!!!!

Not uncommon here also to go to the river and a group or family have a huge ghettoblaster with cumbia or reggaeton...... terrible! Seriously cannot understand how it can be allowed.

The hammering on a drum is just primitive and annoying to listen to.....

• No, I have never.

I would imagine Rio to be the best place followed by New Orleans for Mardi Gras. (That is code for CARNIVAL as well!)

• I hear drums being played every week even when I'm inside the house. They congegrate in the square a couple of blocks away to practice. No idea why they have to practice cause all they do is bang them....even I could play them.

A murga troop practices right on our plaza, practically under our windows, every Saturday afternoon from 4:30 until 6:30. The drums drown out all thoughts in your head, all conversation. The dancers with them, though not scantily dressed for these year-round rehearsals, certainly could pass any military endurance test.

• Former musician here. Bass player. There was no peace for anyone when I was practicing.

I am surprised my parents put up with it all.

Looking back on it all, they were great parents.

• Remember: BsAs isn’t Rio. The dancers on our plaza practicing all year for their big moment more closely resemble that chick’s choripan-eating grandmother. But they have stamina!

Want to know a little about Carnival in New Orleans? Here’s a good little mood piece.

And this National Geographic video gives some history and added dimensions.

Carnival, or Mardi Gras, in New Orleans isn’t at all like Rio’s Samba parades. Celebrations center on Parades featuring enormous, highly decorated “floats” of slow-moving land barges holding masked, costumed riders who very generously rain “throws” (beads, stuffed animals, flowers, doubloons, etc) on the appreciative crowds. Parades can last for hours, with dozens of floats, marching bands from all over the US along with the Marine Corps Band and other internationally famous bands, and some highly entertaining grassroots groups on foot, horseback, or rollerblades.

There are some 55-60 parades within the final 12 days of the weeks-long carnival season; each parade has hundreds-to-thousands of riders who belong to the sponsoring social club, or “Krewe.”

My favorite float, in the Krewe of Bacchus parade, is 3 long flatbed trucks connected like an articulated bus, holding more than a hundred riders and fantastically decorated like the head, midsection and tail of an alligator. It is called the Bacchagator, and it comes from a large sculpture from the 1984 New Orleans World’s Fair.