Hi Everyone! I’d like to introduce myself …

There are 97 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 19,108 times. The latest Post () was by UK Man.

• It’s a big world out there and life is too short. I think it’s a crime against one’s self to be born, live and die all in the same 100 square mile area with only an occasional excursion outside of it.

For those who have come before me, you already know, there is much for me to do and learn as I transition in life. In advance, I appreciate all the advice and guidance I will receive. It will will be my pleasure and responsibility to pay it forward to others someday.

I am very happy to be here as a part of this community.

I am looking forward to learning and growing as a person.

Respectfully,

M!

• Hi Rice,

Thanks for the welcome mat, so to speak.

No, I am not living in Argentina at this point in time, but I certainly will be in the future. In fact, it's my best guess that I am going to die there someday. Hopefully of old age!

I am a long time recurring visitor. I estimate I have spent about 9 months of my life there over the past 15 years. I have seen enough of the country, it's culture and people to know what I am doing.

I have read quite a bit from all over the internet with respect to people who are immigrating to, or are intending to immigrate to Argentina. (To other countries as well.) The majority of what I have read scares me, if what these people are posting is true.

People seem to be throwing caution to the wind with a few dollars in hand, along with the hope that they will find employment enough to sustain them. That certainly is not me. And I'll add to that, the vast majority of these posters appear to not have made much of a study of what they intend to do. They are lacking quite a bit of information before they act.

I am a successful, self employed person. You don't usually achieve that by luck. In most cases, it takes dedication, stick to it and a lot of hard work. And that same recipe, if applied to other endeavors births good results ... such as building a new life in another country.

My timeline to make all this happen is by the end of the current decade, perhaps sooner if there are some positive surprises along the way. I know that sounds like a long time, but it really isn't. I have a ton of things I need to do in preparation for such a life change. Chief among them is finalizing a financial plan that will make me bullet proof.

So that is what brings me here. I have (and I am sure I will have) a lot to learn beyond the perspective of being a tourist. Living somewhere day in and day or is quite a bit different than a vacation. Knowledge aside, a support network is critical for success as well. I already have one in place, but I am always interested to fortify it. So I will do that over time.

I look forward to many exchanges with you and the other people who are here.

Have a great day!

• You are wise to carefully research the economy in Argentina before planning a move. At this time, many young people in Argentina are considering the option of emigrating and building lives in other countries. It is heartbreaking to think they could have to leave the country of their birth in order to make a living in a country wit a more stable economy.

May I ask where you are living now, and why you have chosen Argentina as your future home?

• You are wise to carefully research the economy in Argentina before planning a move. At this time, many young people in Argentina are considering the option of emigrating and building lives in other countries. It is heartbreaking to think they could have to leave the country of their birth in order to make a living in a country wit a more stable economy.

May I ask where you are living now, and why you have chosen Argentina as your future home?

Of course Rice, you can ask me anything you like. I'll always try to answer a question.

Part one is easy.

I live south of Boston. (I use Boston as my geographical marker so that those who are out there can instantly associate me with a place they may know of, or have heard of.) I can jump in my car and be there in a short amount of time. That is how close I am.

The second part of your question is much more difficult for me to answer in a public forum, but I will give you a hint of the TRUE answer / reason.

I have an Argentine wife!

Unfortunately, I can''t go into detail here, it wouldn't be right.

But I can share this:

My wife is a great person and she has helped me know and appreciate her country much better than I ever could have done on my own. Economy and politics aside, Argentina is an incredible country! The more I see of it, the more I fall in love with it.

It has been the plan to relocate to Buenos Aires since very early in our time together. And with God's good blessing, that is going to happen when I am still very young enough to enjoy it all.

• Welcome to the forum, Mateo.

I'm sure we'll all try to help and offer tips where we can.

Are you in Argentina yet?

Hi Splinter,

Thank you!

I welcome all the guidance and advice that can come my way. I hope to reciprocate in some way when I can as well.

No, I am very much in The US at the moment.

I'll be in Buenos Aires for the month of December, 2020 - Unless something unexpected comes up. (I have family and friends there.) I hope that does not happen because I am awful busy here.

I anticipate a schedule like I just described for the next few years. As time moves along, I will adjust the amount of time I spend there to a greater portion of the calendar. I have a lot to do there as well. My biggest task will be to buy a place to live, but I am in no rush. I intend to take my time and think it over very carefully before I act. It's not like The US there with respect to real estate transactions as I am sure you already know.

• Over time I will get my profile finished.

I feel information about me is the priority.

I'll get something nice for an avatar as the icing on the cake!

• Official Post

Welcome on the forum, @Mateo.

I agree with your plan to come here with a well-established business that you can manage remotely.

Some people live part-time here and part-time in the States. It is a great arrangement if your work, finances and family can switch hemisphere every now and then.

If you want to switch entirely to 100% of time in Argentina, you are in for a ride. I did underestimate the economic limitations of this country.

• Hi Mateo and welcome to the forum.

Having an Argentine wife qualifies you to be a contributor here even though you're based in the US. I'm Scottish and blame my Argentine wife for bringing me here to live 12 years ago so just watch your step. ^^

Fortunately I didn't have to worry about finding a job which has made living here possible even though I sound like a miseable git at times.

• donno why I start to think of the nigerian letter tread....... hahaha

Welcome Mateo, I hope that you do like and find the appropriate concerning articles and topics that do describe the situation to be found in Argentina.

• Welcome on the forum, @Mateo.

I agree with your plan to come here with a well-established business that you can manage remotely.

Some people live part-time here and part-time in the States. It is a great arrangement if your work, finances and family can switch hemisphere every now and then.

If you want to switch entirely to 100% of time in Argentina, you are in for a ride. I did underestimate the economic limitations of this country.

• Good Morning Serafina,

Thanks for the welcome.

I re read my posts, they made sense to me, but perhaps not to others.

NO! I have no such intention of managing a business or having one operate in my absence when I am transitioned to living in Argentina full time. Actually, my plan goes something like this:

Now that I have decided to relocate there before the decade is out, I will follow my usual pattern of staying in Argentina for the month of December. And as the decade rolls along, I will increase that time stayed by a bit, but not more than a few weeks extra from what I can currently see on the horizon. As this is going on, I will assemble a BULLET PROOF FINANCIAL PLAN to sustain me in Argentina when I am living there full time. Part of the process will be to sell major assets and convert the funds to safe investments. At the moment I have no plans to work there. Certainly not for "The MAN." BUT - I would not rule out doing something small on my own for fun, or to help others, more than for financial need. It would be a way to be involved, keep busy and not stray too far from what an average life is like. Also, it would keep me close to the community.

Speaking of community. It seems to me that many foreigners who relocate / immigrate elsewhere seek out their expat counterparts to associate with. That is fine because as you know, they are a great source of knowledge, strength and support. My intention is to not ignore that dynamic available to me, but I intend to embrace the local culture and it's people. I am very comfortable in doing so now and I can't see that changing. I have a good group of friends there and making more is enjoyable to me.

What it all boils down to is this:

Even though I will be relatively young in 10 years time, I will essentially be a person of independent means. THAT IS CODE for someone who does not work or need to work in order to live and flourish in life. And I feel that regardless of the turmoil that Argentina is famous for, it will not harm or affect me in any meaningful way.

So if the ship continues to sink, as sorry as I will feel for those who are sinking with it, I WILL BE SAFE IN MY LIFEBOAT!

• Hi Mateo and welcome to the forum.

Having an Argentine wife qualifies you to be a contributor here even though you're based in the US. I'm Scottish and blame my Argentine wife for bringing me here to live 12 years ago so just watch your step. ^^

Fortunately I didn't have to worry about finding a job which has made living here possible even though I sound like a miseable git at times.

GOOD MORNING UK Man,

Thanks for the welcome.

It also qualifies me for all the other great things marriage is know for! (a JOKE!)

Seriously though, There is a lot I need to learn and be aware of. You make a good point. I know I need to research my moves and actions before THEY ARE MOVES & ACTIONS! Ramifications of them could sting!

I will be in your situation with respect to not needing to work. If I do, it will be purely for the sport of it, not the necessity.

• donno why I start to think of the nigerian letter tread....... hahaha

Welcome Mateo, I hope that you do like and find the appropriate concerning articles and topics that do describe the situation to be found in Argentina.

Good Morning Jan,

Thanks for the welcome.

Well, that is what I am hoping. I am hoping that there is some good information on this forum that I can use to learn about what is ahead of me. And if not, I will post questions,. With a little luck, someone may know the answer to them.

BUT - There is a point I would like to make:

This forum is tiny compared to BAexpats.org. Both in terms of participants and scope of information available. I'll tell you the reason I am here. And I am wondering if any of you have experienced what I am about to share???

I made an account on BAexpats.org. (Actually a couple of them as each one FAILED!)

Once an account is made here (Argentina Expats) the user is ready to go and can post away without any oversight. In contrast, once an account is created on BAexpats.org that is not the case. When you attempt to post, the post is subject to moderator review. And for some reason, the posts got erased, no review, no communication what so ever. In fact, when I contacted the administrator (SEVERAL TIMES) I never received a single reply. Further more, I reached out to some members via their exterior contact channels and not a single reply. I am dumbfounded by the experience.

No disrespect to this forum or it's members, but I would rather be there because of the level of activity and amount of information. But I am here, so the idea is to grow this board. I hope you good people agree with that. I know you have had a nice private club for a long time, but I can't help but think how much better the site would be with a few hundred more ACTIVE USERS.

I'd be interested to get anyone's thoughts / comments on this.

Thanks!

• Official Post

This forum was started eight years ago because many of us discovered the Stalin-style moderation of that other place and were not prepared to tolerate it any longer. You're quite right, they do delete posts and ban people with no warning and furthermore, they read every single PM (private message) between members.

I agree that we do not have as many members, but this is a very active, friendly forum that respects members' privacy - we do not moderate posts and we certainly don't read private messages. The only members who have been banned were robot spammers and Nigerian style scammers. Banning and moderating posts is considered an absolute last resort and is only used in extreme circumstances.

There's a wealth of information here, or if you can't find the information you need, please ask or PM a member.