DIY (do it yourself) jobs

There are 94 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 14,679 times. The latest Post () was by Rice.

• serafina ..........and was a Change or?????? Every time I have done it , the Aircon works like new again......

UK Man ...... come on.....do it!!!!!

It's quite simple and it's really the most important for having the Aircon working properly! The filter is a minor thing, the ventilator roll inside is the heart of the distribution of the air......if it's full with dirt, it does not roll evenly and do not distribute the cold air.

Many people talk about recharge gas..... bullsheeeeet......the important part is to keep it clean inside.

If ur wife consider u a genius after cleaning the filters.......be prepared for a wild night when u have cleaned it inside also hahaha

• OK Jan stop harping on about the bloody blower wheel....you're beginning to annoy me. :P

I won't be taking it out but will have a look and see if it needs cleaned.

• UK Man .....bien argentino......so basically, if all goes well u will have a lot of cuddling, if things goes bad, I will take the shit.......sounds like the generic formula for this country hahaha

• What kind of DIY do you do or have you done @Mateo ?

Quite a lot of different things actually.

Appliance repairs, central vacuum system repairs, electrical repairs, light fixture changes and repairs, plumbing repairs (Without needing a torch to sweat a fitting together.) alarm system trouble shooting and repairs with respect to motion sensors and sirens, drywall fixes and painting (Obviously!) window treatment repairs ... the list goes on and on ... but that ought to give you a good idea, I would think.

• Hi John, Splinter & UK,

I saw your replies. I have something additional to share ...

I grew up with a father who lived in the following way:

If it broke or needed repair, he would attempt to do the repair himself. If he failed or it was beyond him, he bought a brand new unit to replace the faulty one. My father did not like the idea of a stranger in his house. Although, even by his own admission, most on site service providers are staffed with reputable, honest workers, there are exceptions ... and he was not interested to take the chance he was inviting someone into his home to "CASE IT" for a future break in. Having said that, his methods frustrated my mother ... why? I do not know, he was being a good provider and leader of the family.

• There’s not a lot of buying new replacements for broken appliances in Argentina. It took me a long time to realize that. It is more like immediate postwar Europe in that people haven’t lost the ability to make repairs on even the most inexpensive things. A positive thing, in my opinion.

• For me, it's a lot easier to fix a large side by side refrigerator than to remove it and replace it with another unit. But I have to say I am a fan of throwing it away and buying a replacement.

I don't know what anyone's financial condition is but my own. So what I say may not be correct for the next person depending upon their financial condition and or their attachment to their funds.

• I still wait for the day I wake up, go through the day and go to bed......with everything working during whole day.......seems like there is nothing that works for two days in a row, either people or stuff.....

If I'm not fixing the toaster, I'm dealing with a water issue, if the TV and decoders work, the door won't lock.....and when all works perfectly in the house, u can bet the car or one of the bikes are out of order.....

24 hours with NO problem whatsoever, impossible!!!!

• For me, it's a lot easier to fix a large side by side refrigerator than to remove it and replace it with another unit. But I have to say I am a fan of throwing it away and buying a replacement.

I don't know what anyone's financial condition is but my own. So what I say may not be correct for the next person depending upon their financial condition and or their attachment to their funds.

In the UK it's got to the stage new appliances are so cheap and reliable you just chuck 'em away when they break down. It's cheaper just to buy a new one.

Here on the other hand you pay over the odds for any appliance.

• I mentioned this before, but I need to mention it again: in all my life prior to my 10 years here, I never have had a water, cloak, toilet, problem ever.......the last ten years I cannot put the number on the total.......

And those are issues u NEED to fix.....that's the problem......

• I mentioned this before, but I need to mention it again: in all my life prior to my 10 years here, I never have had a water, cloak, toilet, problem ever.......the last ten years I cannot put the number on the total.......

And those are issues u NEED to fix.....that's the problem......

What's a ''cloak'' problem?

We've had water problems galore this summer due to low mains water pressure. So much so I told the wife not to pay the water bill.