DIY (do it yourself) jobs

There are 94 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 14,677 times. The latest Post () was by Rice.

• Official Post

Wherever possible I like to fix things myself around the house and today I tackled a roller blind (persiana) that was coming apart. This isn't the first time either because the design of these blinds allows them to come out of alignment, so that when you let them roll down, one side catches on the channel and the whole thing gets caught up at an angle.

Obviously the slats are interlocking, but you can take them out individually, which is what I had to do because one was beyond repair. The only way to completely fix these buggers is to take them out and line them up.

Another thing to remember is to have a stop at the bottom so that when you roll it up it doesn't disappear into the roller. I just screw a block of wood at the bottom of the blind to prevent it going beyond reach.

There was a medium amount of cursing during this job, as you can imagine.

• Splinter .....you just started the longest thread ever, without knowing hahaha.....

Orange orangutan hairy guy thread will be nothing compared to this.....

• Official Post

I've always enjoyed doing stuff myself, but I must admit that this country has turned what used to be a hobby into a necessity.

Plumbing - changing taps, rubber washers/o-rings and flexible joints is fun and pretty easy as is fixing leaks. In fact, keeping water out of the house, either from rain or broken joints, has been a major issue for years.

Electric - most electrical fittings here, such as wall plugs, are dire and often finished and joined with electrical tape. I'd even say dangerous and out of the three houses we've lived in, none have been earthed. I usually photograph fittings before I tackle them.

Painting and decorating - Not my favourite job, but once I get started, I get into the groove. The labour costs alone are worth the saving.

General Repairs - I'll repair anything now, at least until it becomes FUBAR. That in itself is very satisfying indeed.

Possibly one of the most important factors is the cowboy effect and as an example, we were once quoted $7500 to fix a washing machine, having already paid $500 for the callout (not my call at the time). Having been told that the machine control board needed replacing, I found one on ML for $1200 and fitted it myself.

They don't call it The Wild West for nuttin.

• Official Post

I've always enjoyed doing stuff myself, but I must admit that this country has turned what used to be a hobby into a necessity.

Imagine how myself, as an unskilled person, must feel in this country.

I always take into account I might have to call more than one professional to solve an issue. So, even if each one is cheap, the time and the money spent add up to quite a bit.

I have also noticed that most 'fixes' here are patches and do not correct the issue long term.

My husband tries to do as much as he can. Luckily, he is really committed to his handyman assignments! But one doesn't feel like they have an alternative, do they?

• I don't mind painting and decorating and done the whole house when we moved over. Had started doing it all over again a few months ago but the entrance hall side wall was soaking with dampness. Turned out to be a water pipe inside the wall which goes to the garden had a leak. We have a good plumber who has all the gear to expose and repair it....something I would never do as I don't have the gear or the knowledge. He came and repaired inside an hour. Trouble with these old houses is the way they were built...nothing is easy to get at but the experts who are used to working in them know all the ins and outs.

I don't touch anything electrical....as you say the wiring all looks dodgy so not worth risking your life just to save a few bob. I just attempt the simple stuff so YouTube comes in handy for showing you what to do. One of the aircons stopped blowing cold air the other day. So my next job is to take out the filters and clean them. If that doesn't work then I suspect it needs topped up with gas. A chap round the corner will do that and he doesn't charge much for doing it.

It's not so much the cost of getting jobs done it's the time you have to wait for them to come and do the flippin' thing.

• I can only say I follow u 100%!!!!!

Started building a house here in tigre som 12 years ago....... everything that has been done, need to be redone in some way, even that all is brand new! So trust me, I work on a daily basis with DIY!!!!

Beside that: any electrical appliance that suddenly doesn't work, first thing I do is open it up to check myself first......very often electrical stuff here burn a fuse because of the electrical ups n downs , and changing a fuse is quite a simple job......just open up the thing that doesn't work, look for where the electrical wire inlet are, and there normally u have a fuse.....!

If u give it in for repair u r 99% sure to be charged for more than a fuse.....

• UK Man ......and others with air-conditioning......

Cleaning filters is only first step!!!!!

The rolling tube inside, that distribute the cold air, need to be cleaned also.......and that's a freaking job! If u do as a DIY job, u need to clean with toothbrushes and other small brushes.......all the small holes in the role need to be fat free, (kitchen fat f.ex), and dust free...... Trust me, when u open it up u know what I mean!!! The filter is nothing compared to this!!!! But when it's done, aircon is gonna cool like a zero km!

• UK Man ......and others with air-conditioning......

Cleaning filters is only first step!!!!!

The rolling tube inside, that distribute the cold air, need to be cleaned also.......and that's a freaking job! If u do as a DIY job, u need to clean with toothbrushes and other small brushes.......all the small holes in the role need to be fat free, (kitchen fat f.ex), and dust free...... Trust me, when u open it up u know what I mean!!! The filter is nothing compared to this!!!! But when it's done, aircon is gonna cool like a zero km!

Well if the cleaning of the filters doesn't make it work I can't be arsed doing all that. Guess we might be giving Fabio the aircon man a call.

• UK Man .......

The filters is nothing.......the real job is inside......but it's straight forward but dirty job......I first spray some liquid on the roll to dissolve fat and listen it up, then clean with brushes. You can also take the whole roll out and clean to perfection in zinc or with pressure. I did these jobs many times....... cleaning filters and gas recharge the small unimportant jobs.....the cleaning inside the most important! Take a look inside it, stick a small wooden stick in, (when it's off!!!), Then see if it comes out with sticky dust on it. It's a fulfilling job because u will have a new Aircon after the work!!!!

• Like my Scottish colleague , I am a painter and decorator. I actually quite enjoy i and have been tempted to do it professionally.

Absolutely no electricity work where wiring is involved , especially as you never know what has been done in previous maintenance jobs.

• UK Man .......

The filters is nothing.......the real job is inside......but it's straight forward but dirty job......I first spray some liquid on the roll to dissolve fat and listen it up, then clean with brushes. You can also take the whole roll out and clean to perfection in zinc or with pressure. I did these jobs many times....... cleaning filters and gas recharge the small unimportant jobs.....the cleaning inside the most important! Take a look inside it, stick a small wooden stick in, (when it's off!!!), Then see if it comes out with sticky dust on it. It's a fulfilling job because u will have a new Aircon after the work!!!!

Far too complicated Jan...I have better things to do with my time. And anyway....if I do it once the missus will expect me to do all the time. :P

• Official Post

UK Man .......

When you say 'roll', do you mean the roller fan inside?

I'd certainly tackle a job like that, no probs.

Edit

Like this?

• Splinter exactly!!!!! It's easy peacy...u just look inside the outlet to see how dirty it is first, and test with a small stick.......

After u clean it it, u realize it's difference from night and day, if it was dirty, trust me!!!!

• Well if the cleaning of the filters doesn't make it work I can't be arsed doing all that. Guess we might be giving Fabio the aircon man a call.

Due to the heatwave that's coming I finally got around to doing this job. Spent more ruddy time getting the cover to lift up than it took to take out the filters, clean them and put them back in.

Now belting out cold air again.....and the wife thinks I'm a clever clogs.

• A person can save a lot of money by rolling up their sleeves and doing it themselves.

Not to mention the other benefits:

Learning something new.

Being a bit more independent and self sufficient.

Saving money.

Not having a stranger in your home.

Not having to wait for a repairman to arrive.

Getting it fixed on a SUNDAY!

There is probably more that I am missing.

With the power of the internet, YOU TUBE specifically, there is more than likely a video on someone's channel showing you exactly what you need to see and know. I have gone this route many times and I have to say, it works. You just need to be patient and willing to try.

Obviously, there will be occasions when it is beyond a person's abilities / confidence level.

• I showed the video to my husband and he did all three units. Except the last one is an industrial AC impossible to disassemble. We were at it for 4 hours, and at the end we had to use the vacuum cleaner as the blowing wheel was impossible to remove. 8|

I don't even think I'd attempt removing it just incase I couldn't put it back in. The videos I watched on how to lift the front cover to take the filter screens out made it look so easy. In reality it wasn't as ours doesn't have quick release clips. I had to press the sides in and exert a lot of force in order for the cover to lift up.....it's designed for someone with three hands.^^