Corona virus

There are 1,240 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 195,866 times. The latest Post () was by Rice.

• You remember when AIDS was the worst thing we've ever seen? Yet we learnt to live with it, there still no cure or vaccine....at one point someone predicted we would be gone in a couple of generation due to AIDS back in those days... then came dengue, yellow fever, sars, all potentially world ending illnesses to which many didn't have a cure and still don't, so what i'm saying with this , is when the next catastrophe happens and we would need to run away from..... i dunno.... let's say lava, all of the sudden being quarantine won't look so bad, lol

Folks , relax this will also come to pass , just take the precautions that we think work and enjoy life everyday.

Also i want to take to opportunity to thank god for bourbon salud!( always drink responsibly in self defense)

• Quiet Heroes

(2018)

Overview

In Salt Lake City, Utah, the socially conservative religious monoculture complicated the AIDS crisis, where patients in the entire state and intermountain region relied on only one doctor. This is the story of her fight to save a maligned population everyone else seemed willing to just let die. Read more

Genres

• Documentary
  • If I’m remembering correctly, there was empirical evidence very early that AIDS was transmitted through sexual contact, especially in the gay community, and contaminated needles used by drug users. For some reason I don’t remember, there was also a high infection rate in Haiti, leading to the belief that it was a disease of “addicts, homosexuals and Haitians.”

I wonder if some kind of similar meme will emerge from covid-19, which is distinguishing itself as being far more infectious than most if not all previous viruses.

• Official Post

I wonder if some kind of similar meme will emerge from covid-19, which is distinguishing itself as being far more infectious than most if not all previous viruses.

Covid is definitely more democratic than AIDS. I remember that in the early 80s my mom used to bring me to a public park to play after kindergarten, and she insisted on me not picking anything from the ground, and to stay away from syringes and needles. I was 3-4 years old and I still remember it. It was a big park and there were some corners where I was not allowed to go, which were usually the darkest hidden corners used at night by drug users.

• yea, @Mckenna I fully agree, we need to move on!

Anyway aids really was quite easy to control and limit the spread....

Or say, u could really avoid it 100% if u took precautions.

The chinese flu is really impossible to avoid, unless u stay in ur house rest of ur life.

Aids had its go in gay scenes much better because gays tend to live a little wilder life than most normal people.

Also many gays at a certain point accepted it and start having unprotected sex, even that they were not infected.....for solidarity. I have been living in high density gay communities and have friends working in their scene, they say the same.

Aids is still predominant in gay population compared to rest, even that that might sound discriminative.

Remember watching a documentary long time ago about the birth of aids, or say the patient zero in the Western world......think it was a gay steward from Canada. Many say though that aids arrive before him.....no idea, at least he did a good job to promote it.

• AIDS and COVID are not really good comparables other than they are viruses. If you don't want to get AIDS you can avoid it pretty well. I think it's becoming increasingly clear that most of us are probably not going to avoid COVID, one way or another. So, that's why I think the lockdown is pointless other than to make the spread of the virus take longer as not to overrun health services. And while that is a noble goal, I have made my feelings clear that I don't think that's the goal of Argentina's lockdown... not now anyway.

If 70% could get COVID without lockdown (let's say), I would guess 70% will get it regardless. It's more a question of when not if.

For example, my building has been incredibly strict on COVID. One in the elevator at a time, no guests whatsoever, religous cleaning of common areas, threats of legal action for those doing even something close to breaking the rules, etc. etc. etc. Yesterday a letter circultated saying someone in the building has COVID-19. Go figure. So even despite those strict efforts the virus is here and it will now spread around the building.

Of course, I am ignoring the near certainty that people in the building have already had it. The man/woman who has it now is asymptomatic which most of us will be when we get it. Still, I will continue to practise my own personal protection as if I can be one of 20%, 30% (or whatever number) who avoids it.

• Semigoodlooking I'm using same approach.......even that think we could end up being worse of, by not just getting it and move on.

But in a country on the level of Zimbabwe, I think we are better of this way.......

• daniel , I thought of your family gathering when I read about this man, formerly a virus denier. In his words, "I began prognosticating the alphabet soup about this 'scamdemic.' I believed the virus to be a hoax. I believed the mainstream media and the Democrats were using it to create panic, crash the economy and destroy Trump’s chances at re-election."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/w….com/news/amp/ncna1234980

I didn’t want to post this until I knew you’d decided to postpone your small family gathering, which is exactly what this family had, in their case, to celebrate a new baby.