Corona virus

There are 1,240 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 195,539 times. The latest Post () was by Rice.

• serafina ......

Exactly... yesterday they had made TOTAL 3800+/-!!!! That was even published by c5n.....which would even tend to lie IN FAVOR of Alberto, (more tests done than fact).

The number is MINISCULE!!!!!

• Official Post

[quote='daniel','https://www.argentinaexpats.org/forum/index.php?thread/2225-corona-virus/&postID=20419#post20419']

Later yesterday night, the US had already surpassed China in that chart by number of infected people. Their death rate is still much lower, though.

Some countries, like Germany, do not account as ‘deaths due to coronavirus’ those people who died due to a preexisting condition which was just accelerated by the virus. This is a very convenient manner to keep the numbers down, except that those people might otherwise have had years to live.

Hypertension is not uncommon in people over 60 years old and people can live for decades with it if properly medicated. I think it’s unfair to treat them as ‘already half dead’ before the virus.

My mom falls into this category. In some areas of Italy, people over 60 have been moved to non-priority. Initially it was those over 80. This is because of lack of breathing machines.

In the US they are considering not providing medical care and saving breathing machines if the patient is disabled, especially if unfit to work anyway.

I read some Italian expat blogs and those in the US are very frightened by the American approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• in Germany I think the fact that few die is more related to the age of the infected ones!

Until last week you had huge Corona parties going on.....just making fun of the virus, the authorities and to show you don't die from it!!!

Now the price for doing that is to pay....just like UK and other countries!

You can well argue it would be preferable to isolate the risk group instead of the whole country and world, bringing everything to a still stand! Anyway now's to late to change I guess!

• Official Post

It's worth remembering this @JAN first post on this subject back on 31st January. I for one was sceptical.

• Splinter .......its so funny......have the feeling it was years ago.....but it's not....it's only 2 months ago!!!!

Next big surprise: when the REAL number of infected comes out and when Argentina start to test people!!!!

Seems like nearly no one in the news think about this or comment it!!!!

It's also funny when the news rant over the huge amount of infected people people in neighbor countries.....without doing the population calculation and the tested per million number!!! Several of them and other south American countries have LESS infected people even that they have tested more, (in relation!)

It's actually one of the first things you learn in school: percentage, pie charts etc.

• Interesting view from one prize winning and well respected biological scientist. He seems to think there's been a gross overeaction taken by world organisations and governments to it all. He goes on to say the consequences of the preventative measures taken will far outweigh the harm done by the virus had it been left to take its natural course.

He thinks if the reaction to the next virus to come along within the near future is the same we might as well all put up the gone bankrupt signs.

• Interesting view from one prize winning and well respected biological scientist. He seems to think there's been a gross overeaction taken by world organisations and governments to it all. He goes on to say the consequences of the preventative measures taken will far outweigh the harm done by the virus had it been left to take its natural course.

He thinks if the reaction to the next virus to come along within the near future is the same we might as well all put up the gone bankrupt signs.

I would like to see the source for that, do you have it?

I have been saying this for weeks. We have to be very careful about how far we push the situation we are currently in. I have been arguing that at some point what we do to stop the outbreak will be worse than the virus itself. I am talking a decade lost for many people.

Although, I would say the measurements currently being taken are within reason considering how COVID-19 spreads. The problem is, as I tirelessly say, is that it cannot go on and on. At some point a choice has to be made. All this talk about "the US will be in lockdown for six months" etc. will result in millions dead for hunger, crime, etc. Don't underestimate this scenario like we underestimated the virus, it is a real possibility many people won't recover from the economic disruption. I am not saying COVID-19 should be left to run rampant, but at some point more intelligent management will have to be introduced.

Furthermore, I will say another thing I have been chiming on for weeks. This would not be happening now if China had been closed off from the international community throughout February. It was a manageable situation then, not now.

I agree with what this doctor says apart from saying we have overblown the situation. COVID-19 is real, is killing, and is spreading rapidly.

• Official Post

Yesterday I had an interesting chat with a friend from Italy. She said she had an odd sudden fever a few weeks before the covid-19 had a name. She said that even when people were starting to die of it in Italy, the politicians letting business go on also meant that people in employment had to go to work. Since everybody was new at this and were caught unprepared, they were given almost no PPE and no instruction beside wash your hands & do not touch your face. She said she cried in her car while driving to work because it became evident that it was very risk to go out.

She worked in a clinic as an administrative. Refusing to go to work would have meant being fired and hence have no salary while the country was going to be on lockdown, and a job not waiting for her when the pandemic will be over.

So, even if countries like in the US will let the virus circulate because economy damages may have more serious consequences, don’t think that life would resume as usual. Those who can afford to not go to work, will not. No job is worth risking not just your life but also your family (co-living people).

Maybe in the US it is easier to pilot people’s life out of desperation (think about the many who serve just to get veterans’ benefit for them and their family), but in Europe I don’t see it easy to trick people into risking their health over a desk job. At least in Italy, people have savings and estates that go from generation to generation and they won’t rush out to work once the lockdown is lifted.

For example, on US news they already talk about a staggering number of people being unemployed due to the virus, and they barely have acknowledged it. In Italy nobody talked about jobs during this emergency. Of course people are wondering how long this could go on and how will be life and the country after this, but in a completely different fashion than in the US.

When Europe started crushing because of the virus, people in the US were pondering what stocks to buy because extraordinary situations like this are ‘a once in a lifetime opportunity’. Provided they stay alive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• something I don't understand in this whole show......

Right now 42 million are sitting locked up in Argentina.......until now only 2 cases was from transmission INSIDE country.....which means basically anyone with virus here have got it from traveling outside Argentina......

My suggestion, which is Nazi, but for sure better than this Muppet show:

Anyone that have travelled outside of Argentina should be quarantined until tested!!!!! Then instead of 42 million locked up, u would have only a few million locked up!!!!!

And would be more than easy to check: immigration has all info!

On top anyone that have travelled have used a passport and got a stamp.....on the other side anyone WITHOUT travel in this months would have NO stamps!!!! easy peacy!

On top of that, it would keep all the politicians and hot shot bobos home.....

And yes, some would suffer and have a disadvantage, but maybe 35-40 million people here would not be quarantined unrightful!!!!

What I need to add: the scientists believe that the virus get transmitted and exist easier by colder weather, which have probably saved the outmass a little here in Argentina.....that again would confirm, that probably the absolute majority of the infected people are people that have travelled! (Considered it's still pretty damn hot here, +25c or more, and have been hot nearly all the first month's of 2020).

• Official Post

@JAN

If only it could be proven that quarantine for those who have travelled would actually work.

Adri's lad was in 14 days quarantine anyway, since arriving from Spain on 12th March and is showing no symptoms. However, I agree that he should be tested before us. But where?

He may be asymptomatic for all we know.