Famous people supporting political issues

There are 14 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 3,118 times. The latest Post () was by JAN.

• just realize why I constantly getting annoyed about famous people, singers, actors, sportlers or whatever taking side in political issues or happenings around the world.......

If you watch whatever news, pro or con whatever, there is always famous that come out to support that opinion...... whatever it's Trump, global warming, war or whatever.

Of course it's obvious when a famous that you like, have a different view than you, but by me it's also when they support my own view.......how can that be????

I realize why.....

To explain, my old German boss always said "because a dentist is rich, does not show he knows anything about money"......and it's so true.....he is maybe a brilliant dentist, earning a lot money, but that's it!

Same with famous when they take a position.......let's say an actor oppose against whatever......that actor then put himself in show as a superhuman, even that all he is, is being a good actor!!!! Its like the dentist......being good dentist does not make u a superhuman!

Here in Argentina is more than obvious this stupidity......you have famous taking sides in childish statements.....you need to face palm when you see such statements......I will not elaborate or give examples!

But, same with Hollywood stars......

Take an example : Arnie.......I'm a huge fan and always was.....I believe he is such a self-made and great person ......still I prefer being without his opinion on many things! And btw, if he is such a morally superhuman, how can it be he needed to bang the house keeper????

Let's not talk about brainless rappers or popstars coming with their opinion....

• People do tend to listen when famous people opine, with or without any solid basis for their opinions. This makes me think of the rock musician who noted that so many people were listening to him that he concluded he must have been saying something!

• yep, but what would the argumentation be why a rock musician would have a more valid point than u?????

In music yes, in politics? Why?

• There’s clearly no connection whatsoever between a celebrity’s fame and any perceived expertise in politics, world events, etc.

But there is always the Fans + Groupies Factor. When Brad Pitt grows a beard, men all over the world do the same. When Megan Markle carries a purple handbag, her fans dash out to buy copies. Likewise, when celebrities voice opinions, other people listen; some are influenced, some are not. But, having such a platform, many famous people take advantage of it to advance their ideas, politics, favorite charities. Apparently it works.

• Splinter .....

I like to comment on that quote......but please don't misunderstand or interpret is as a support for who said it......

Hitler used exactly same statement about lawyers in Berlin before ww2......at that point 90%+ of the lawyers in Berlin was Jewish!!!!! His assessment was that they were totally parasites......

I personally cannot stand them and have not had one good experience with them in life..... lawyers.

Beside that, any sane person should be able to represent himself and declare his innocence......

In other cases, yes, you would need a lawyer!

• Social media has a lot to answer for, especially Instagram which is now the new Facebook.

You're right about Instagram, but only to a degree. Instagram has become the platform for teens and celebrities, so it is definately the platform where they are pushing their views.

However, the celebrities pushing opinions are rarely basing the information on their own views. For the most part they are following memes (I mean meme in the truest sense), which are still largely pushed on Twitter and to a lesser degree Facebook.

I guess what I am saying, in terms of political discourse, Twitter and Facebook are still far more influential, and dangerous. Celebrites will take issues (whatever the meme issues are that week) and often conflate them before summarizing them in their "own view" on Instagram.

Social media does have a lot to answer for, but if you removed Instagram, the problem would not improve. If you removed Twitter it arguably would. Or at least until the environment around political discourse moved to another platform (so, yeah, about 2 minutes).

On the actual subject of the thread, rarely have the celebrities had something interesting to say. I watched the actors round table from last week where De Niro could not help to push his political agenda. Now, I agree with De Niro in terms of his general politics, but every time I have heard him talk about it he comes across as empty with little to say. Of course, we think of him as this legend of film and automatically believe he must also be extremely thoughtful.

Another example is Ben Affleck attacking Sam Harris on Bill Maher's show. On many, many subjects I don't agree with Harris (although I do on some) but rate him or not his whole schtick is discourse. I will let you decide the merit of his intellectualism, but the point is he enters into debate. Affleck instead believed debate means to attack and spout ill-conceived arguments. It was embarrasing and highlighted to me that for the most part, celebrities should keep their mouth shut.

Having said that, Trump was a celebrity and got quite far by not keeping his mouth shut, so, who knows.

• as stated by Splinter , many famous use statements to increase their popularity......if a hippie music band would come with anti Trump statements, they would be even more beloved.....and if a redneck country music star would support NRA, he would become more beloved....

The problem is, that most famous do not have a superior IQ I guess, so their ideas or thoughts are not better than any other persons!

A lot of the famous would be better of keeping the piehole shut.....Roger Waters is a good example, or any rapper or popstars in general....

As I said, I adore the ones that do not have ANY opinion....

I noticed here in Argentina, that in general all the cerveceros, breweries have stayed totally unbiased......they know just a small remark regarding cfk or mm could do enormous harm.......they would love to be el Bolson Patagonia hippie beer brewers, buuuuuuut, they need to sell their stuff to people middle and upwards class......the peronchos, many stay by Quilmes beer!

• yes, but unless Jane Fonda has an IQ superior to other, or a supervision to predict stuff, her opinion is a valuable or worthless as any other person......

A person like Stephen Hawking would be worth listening to and following advise from....because he would be more smart as John Doe.......

• The problem is, that most famous do not have a superior IQ I guess, so their ideas or thoughts are not better than any other persons!

A lot of the famous would be better of keeping the piehole shut.....Roger Waters is a good example, or any rapper or popstars in general....

The low IQ argument (although you may have been saying it flippantly) is something I have thought about, and it is interesting even if I have not come to any big conclusions.

Firstly, there is some observational evidence that shows people who are locked into their path in life earlier tend to struggle with critical thinking and analysis. For example, sports stars are well known for being - for want of a better word - stupid. Their whole development is centered on becoming elite in one specific field. For many actors this is a similar path.

It's a generalisation that I have not quite come to terms with yet so don't want to go too deep on it. Of course, if your path was centered on something that involved critical thinking (like physics) then your world view may be more expansive.

However, there is no way all people fall under this and some people in the world of celebrity must have a grasp on current affairs and knowledge. The question is where are they? You mention Roger Waters and for me he fits in with Robert De Niro. Someone who is reputed as making thoughtful art does not equate to having something thoughtful to say on other subjects. It's got nothing to do with whether I agree with them or not, they offer such low effort arguments and deal with slogans. They don't even realize Trump saw what they were all doing in pursuing self advertising and seeking approval and took it to the 10th degree and became president off it.

Edit to add that having an IQ higher than the next person does not neccesarily make your opinion on a given subject more valuable.

• Semigoodlooking I would totally agree on your last statement......a good example of that would be Shakira....she is extreme high IQ, think 140 something......so is she would say something it should be clever and good for mankind, or???? Nooooo.....first in line would be herself....

Anyway I would believe anything from her, hips don't lie hahaha.....