One year of La Nación and its discount card for a fixed $2/month

There are 30 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 15,570 times. The latest Post () was by serafina.

• I don't read Clarin. My father-in-law does and let us have the 365 Plus. Good deal for us, but I am not sure for him because I think Clarin subscriptions are relatively expensive (if your purpose is to get the card).

And year, Supermarket deals are the best ones. Carrefour 15% on Wednesdays is another (different days for Express and Market locations). Although, I am not sure if its still available in Carrefour. It is in Disco and Vea thought. 2X1 on cinemas is another good one (Hoyts Cinemark). Then a whole bunch of places to eat and stores.

• Official Post

The 2X1 on the cinema is available to everybody on Wednesdays.

I'd do it mostly for the newspaper, because there are many society and events covered by La Nación. The journalism level of their articles is not great, but it's the best there is in Argentina.

Overall, I think there is not much of a serious and reasoned debate across the various newspapers here.

I have tried to compare La Nación, Clarín, Perfil, and Página 12 but they don't even cover the same news. Página 12 is just propaganda and they seem to have the same news 180 degrees from everybody else.

I realize that by ready only La Nación I am probably biased, but, as I said, the others don't seem to cover in depth what's going on. La Nación is not exactly diving in on the news, either...

• My dog has a weak bladder and around once a day she ends up pissing in the house. Luckily we have got her to do it in the same corner each time. It's easier to let her pee on newspaper, pick it up and throw it away. I buy La Nacion one Saturday each month, never read it, and just use the paper for my dog to pee on. I value the broadsheet format of La Nacion.

• la nación has some of the most highly recognized journalists......

Again to use the wording "as good as it gets"!!!!!

I used to watch the television channel a lot, was excellent......Donno if it still exists.....!

I read nearly all newspapers online...... including the childish ones like pagina12..........good for a laugh..........

They tend to rely on people forgetting they bring out totally fake, manipulated and obviously wrong news and accusations.....

To me la Nacion is the most neutral and adult news channel......

• Official Post

Again to use the wording "as good as it gets"!!!!!

Exactly. Sometimes a foreign journalist writes an extensive piece on Argentina on a foreign magazine, and we finally find out what has been going on here or at least we can read an in-depth analysis (with which can agree/disagree). Oddly, it seems nobody can produce such journalistic pieces from within Argentina.

Articles on newspapers here are mostly interviews to know the opinion of someone about something, not crafted pieces after research and gathering evidences and bits of information. There is also a lack of opposing view within the same article, like if trying to sparkle a debate was something to avoid at all costs. This is even valid for food places - have you ever read a negative review on La Nación?! Where is (food) criticism?

When I read La Nación, it is entertaining but not complex nor dense of details. It is like a longer Twitter, written in plain language, with lots of nice images. I'll call it 'simplified newspaper with simplified journalism', like simplified books for beginners students of foreign languages!

I am wondering if I am missing some in-depth magazines like The New Yorker, for a most sophisticated audience. Learning about the longest pizza challenge below the Obelisk is fun, but there must be more than that going on in Argentina...

And also the Spanish level on La Nación is way too down-to-earth than that used in the Spanish edition of BBC, CNN, NYT etc.

• Just a glance at the situation of news on TV here shows the journalistic standards. There's almost zero investigative reporting here. Yeah, news is going down the toilet just about everywhere but it seems it was never out of it in Argentina. Oddly the collapse of quality news may be felt less here becuse it was never great to begin with. News is very rarely informative in Argentina, instead it's lieterally, this happened, that happened, goodnight.

• serafina .......u ever watched la nación tv?

That was excellent....one guy, Hugo Alconada, great guy.

I think the news are bad here because no one dares to be critical in serious.....so it all end up being very platonic.....

On top as I mentioned in earlier threads: sometimes they use totally wrong facts, in all the news media......I always wonder f.ex. if they dont have just ONE guy with knowledge of weapons etc......they sometimes post totally bollocks......regarding weapons used, calibers, categories of weapons and and and......just disturbing to me, since if u f.ex put a totally non existent caliber of a bullet or gun, how can I believe anything is the slightest researched in the article...?

• There is also a lack of opposing view within the same article, like if trying to sparkle a debate was something to avoid at all costs. This is even valid for food places - have you ever read a negative review on La Nación?! Where is (food) criticism?

I am wondering if I am missing some in-depth magazines like The New Yorker, for a most sophisticated audience..

A friend of mine was, for a very brief time, food critic for a US newspaper. Anytime she wrote a negative review, the paper chose not to print it. After this happened a few times, she strongly complained to her editor. He told her that a negative review - even a negative comment in a mostly positive review - could cause the restaurant to withdraw its advertising, so all reviews had to be completely positive.

She got another job.

On subscribing to the New Yorker, YES!!! Excellent in-depth articles, extremely well written.

• Official Post

I think the news are bad here because no one dares to be critical in serious.....so it all end up being very platonic.....

Do you think it's a cultural thing? Because I have complained about this very thing with my husband, but in a different area, and it looks like a more generalized thing, this of do-not-criticize

serafina .......u ever watched la nación tv?

I don't have the TV, and when we had it briefly as part of a welcome package we didn't watch it. Too dispersive to get information when you have the internet at your fingertip!