One year of La Nación and its discount card for a fixed $2/month

There are 30 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 15,520 times. The latest Post () was by serafina.

• To be honest I need a hell of lot of patience to read anything in Spanish and even then it has to be something I'm really interested in. An Argentine newspaper is the last thing I'd ever want to read.

The missus used to get the newspaper delivered every day up until a year ago. She cancelled it when she realised most of the news was far too ruddy depressing.

• It definitely makes sense to limit an overwhelming volume of bad news, so I applaud her decision. I’m afraid that I go in the other direction, immersing myself in every awful new turn in US news, as if drawn to watch a long-lasting train wreck. So I maintain a growing level of depression over events over which I have no control. Argentina’s situation is so far beyond control that it seems preternatural: even long-term, the voters won’t or can’t change the path the country is on. It makes me so sad.

• We had the La Nación card a few years ago to get the restaurant discounts. There are very strict rules for the LN card which the restaurants must abide by. Unfortunately, but hardly surprising in Argentina, virtually none of the restaurants abided by the rules (they would exclude the wine from the discount, or not honor the card for lunch, or for specific meals, or for twenty other reasons that are explicitly stated in the rules of the program). All the arguing and being cheated got very tiring, so we got rid of the card.

I have the card again now as part of one of those deals in the title of the thread (3 months free then 300/month), but the card stays in a drawer, and when the 3 months are up I'll switch to just the newspaper.

• Official Post

That's unfortunate, amigoartistico!

I had the card a couple of years ago, but was never able to use the discount. I was in Mar del Plata back then, and went to one of the place listed as 'discounted' for a laser epilation treatment. When it was time to pay, they said they never put their name on that listing and refused to honor the discount. To be honest, on Club La Nación was listed a slightly different business name under the same address, but I assumed they just changed their name at some point and never update their listing.

The place in question didn't issue a receipt, so when I tried to argue with Club La Nación customer service, they didn't want to have anything to do with it. Of course, they didn't bother to call the business using the telephone number on their listing (which is the phone number of the salon still in business).

Then I had issue posting comments to articles. Basically, I typed the comment and it looked like everything was fine and the comment got published. But it turned out that I was the only one seeing my comments. Opening an incognito tab, I could see my comments were not published.

I tried to contact customer service several times and they said there must be a reason why they blocked comments from my account and there is nothing I can do about it. Now, I posted FIVE comments in my limited Spanish, so I am pretty sure my comments were not worth filtering. However, I hit a wall with LN customer service. I called several times, and they kept saying 'you must have done something wrong' and then switching to 'it must me a temporary technical glitch' when I insisted I didn't publish filter-worth comments.

So I decided to cancel... and there started another saga. You can only subscribe paying with credit card. To cancel your subscription you have to call by phone. They say they've cancelled your subscription but they do not cancel it and keep charging your card. I think we had called 4 times, until finally they ACTUALLY took in my request to cancel.

In the previous attempt, they even gave me a fake 'customer ticket number' for my request, which then didn't turn up in the system. The fourth lady said I never specified I wanted to cancel... excuse me, I called three times already to cancel!!!

The only reason I am tempted is because they've put the most serious articles for subscription users, only. It is not a paywall thing, they are market with a lock symbol and can be read only if your account is a paid one.

Now, I'd really want to have a paid account with which I can comment. I think your account is linked to your DNI, so you can just have one, and mine is banned from posting.

• What a history, serafina ! Think of all the people with similar stories who didn’t care enough about reading subscriber-only stories to persist the way you did. La Nación must be losing out on countless subscribers.

amigoartistico , I never encountered the problems you did with the card, but pretty much gave up on finding participating restaurants we had any interest in, except for one long-time favorite, Don Julio, whose prices make the 20% discount significant. I’d suggest going there before ditching your card.

• Sounds like my story with the 365/Clarin card

Card never arrived and I blocked the c/c payment

I "cancelled" 5 times before they paid any attention.

Bloody customer service people who have no idea what customer service is all about.

But we have talked about that before on here.

• This is just one more of those things (isn't it?), that fit into that category of how crazy this country is, but when talking to people who've never been here, you just can't find the right way to explain it. Each individual thing seems of a small or medium significance on its own, but when you add the thousands of them together, you understand that you simply live in another world unlike any other.

• Official Post

When I got subscribed previously, there was an offer where you got both la Nacion and the New York Times together. It was totally worth it because the NYT is a great newspaper. The difference in journalism quality between the two newspaper was striking at best.

I wonder how they got into an agreement for a joined subscription!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• This is just one more of those things (isn't it?), that fit into that category of how crazy this country is, but when talking to people who've never been here, you just can't find the right way to explain it. Each individual thing seems of a small or medium significance on its own, but when you add the thousands of them together, you understand that you simply live in another world unlike any other.

The hardest thing to explain to people in other countries could be why they can’t send you packages. And why we can’t send them anything, even a simple Christmas card, unless we allow 3-4 months for arrival. But we have all vented about this in other threads -