Buenos Aires clearly has too many tourists?

There are 15 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 3,221 times. The latest Post () was by Rice.

• If you are a daily checker of ambito.com for peso:dollar rates, you might have seen this today.

https://m.ambito.com/economia/…stas-extranjeros-n5075298

It seems that CABA has decided it will be helpful to make tourists and temporary rentals pay an additional fee for breathing the Buen Aire of the city. That is to say for the “right to use and enjoy the public space of the Autonomous City of Buenos Aires.”

• hahaha 🤡 is desperate....

And really.....how much will that bring ???? Not gonna change anything!

Still it's quite small amounts, so I doubt it's gonna make a difference in the foreigners decision whether to visit or not.

Many believe tourism will blossom here......driven by the dollar/peso of course. If you look at prices here from a US or European view, it's really not that expensive now with a dollar at 80 nearly.

Just spoke to an American guy visiting, said to me, "incredible which great wines you get for 15 usd here".........that's 1200 pesos......for that you get EXCELLENT wine here I told him.....

Also when you look at Airbnb........loads of great options for 35-50 usd a night....cheaper than cheap I think!

So this little fee is nothing really......

• Good point. Meanwhile, I’m wondering how they will get the extra US$135.00/year out of us, because we rent a furnished place, which surely qualifies as “temporary.”

Edit:

I just figured it out. It will be collected at the airport upon entry, when we have to declare how long and where we will be staying.

• oh yes - that tourist visa fee will definitely be reappearing. While tourists generally don’t stay in BsAs more than 5-7 days, thus unlikely to be deterred by the small ‘use & enjoy public spaces’ fee, a US$100-150.00 tourist visa would make many choose another country to visit.

• I reckon it will be a tax to be paid at hotels and apartments

In a long stay apartment , you should be OK . But i reckon the City Authorities will be forced to control and administer these apartments in a different way.

When i stay in France at an AIRBNB , I have to pay a tourist tax. It can be done - someone just needs t organize it.

• Official Post

Good point. Meanwhile, I’m wondering how they will get the extra US$135.00/year out of us, because we rent a furnished place, which surely qualifies as “temporary.”

Edit:

I just figured it out. It will be collected at the airport upon entry, when we have to declare how long and where we will be staying.

What if you said you stay at a friend’s?
    And if you said you are staying in Buenos Aires just two days and then going to Patagonia?

Or is it calculated based on the number of days between your flight ticket in and your ticket out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Since it’s only for CABA, I don’t think it could be plane ticket related. My guess is that, since rental laws are changing too, the dueño will be stuck filling out more paperwork, then will have to collect the fee and turn it in to the city.

• couldnt imagine anything less important than this, considering what shit the world, this part of continent, country or city is in!!!!!!

Beside that the money it's gonna bring to the country is totally minuscule.....

• You’re entirely right, @JAN . The question of CABA signaling they don’t want to grow their tourist base is definitely less important than the cost of pistachios in the city, especially considering the condition the world, the country and the city are in.

• Rice u r blending two threads together.....

When I was pre high school traveller with 14-16 years, with no money to much to spare, I cannot imagine bothering about such an total in important amount of money..... That is actually charged many places all around the world and in much larger size....

I believe that A: will not have any effect on amount of tourists here and B: Not bring any significant amount of money to the state.

I posted the pistazie pic because I find 1000 pesos for a snack a lot of money......I don't give a flock personally, because I rarely eat that stuff....

But again the two threads are two different threads.....or is this also the fault of Trump?????