Tortoise on a terrace

There are 9 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,165 times. The latest Post () was by Rice.

• Official Post

There is a tortoise on my neighbor's terrace. There are no flower pots she can reach, afaik. There are some places with shadows (under the parrilla). I see her walking on the terrace tiles... I guess/hope they leave her water and vegetables, but this seems no place for a ground turtle.

Apparently tortoises are a protected species in Argentina, but there is no law forbidding to have a tortoise, only their sale is prohibited.... and it is quite common to have a turtle on a balcony or a terrace, nobody thinks it's cruel here...

I can't see her having a great time, and I am wondering if anyone of you has a drone to rescue her. I have already found a sanctuary where hopefully they could take her in. At least she would be among other tortoises in a big garden.

• Is it a turtle or a tortoise?

We've had a tortoise for 12 years now. It recognises my voice when it is feeding time which is nice. We only bought it because the shop looked kinda dodgy and we were worried about its wellbeing. She stays in a gated patio area with plenty of plants and bushes to hide in and get some coolness when it's hot. I don't like the idea of having one as a pet but we'll continue to give her the best life we can possibly give her.

WP-20181016-004.jpg

• serafina

Changed the title of the thread from “Turtle on a terrace” to “Tortoise on a terrace”.
  • Looks like a girl to me. Sounds like she’s living in tortoise paradise, but she definitely needs to kick her tobacco habit. Hasn’t anyone told her how expensive Condor is in Argentina? Maybe she could switch to KitKats.

About that tortoise harness: super opportunity for exercise! What a great way to walk 0.1 km in 8 hours!

• Must admit I'm not happy having her but as long as we do we'll do our best to give her a comfortable life...which she might not have had if someone else bought her. We have to keep the dogs away hence why we keep her in a gated off patio area with the cat. She stays in her hibernation box during winter/early spring inside an unheated utility room so she's only really active for 3/4 of the year.

Tried getting her to eat other things but she'll only eat zapallito for some reason.