Argentine mechanics...

There are 10 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,208 times. The latest Post () was by Splinter.

• While the wife's new car is in getting an engine overhaul after driving it into a big puddle she's been using the MIL's Ford Focus which has mostly sat about in her garage for the last 10 years.

I suspect that's the reason why it's been nothing but trouble for the last few weeks...the shock of being driven was too much for it!!

Coolant continues to disappear every night from the reservoir. Ss she took it to the mechanic the other week and he said he couldn't find anything wrong....she suspects he never even looked at it as he never charged her.

Now the brakes are playing up so she asked a different mechanic if he could see what the problem was. Like the last mechanic this one also demanded she bring the car before 9am. She asked if it was possible to bring it later as she had things to do....he insisted she couldn't. So as ordered she left it outside his garage at the back of 8am this morning. I reminded her to check the petrol gauge and mileage before she left it.

Do all mechanics work this way? They insist on having your car for at least 8 hours even for a simple job?

• Official Post

It never happened to us to have such request, unless the car needed a major job.

However, my husband is extremely wary of mechanics, and only goes by reference. He went to replace part of the exhaust tube, and he was happy the guy wanted him to go below the car (in the hole) to see the damage and what he wanted to replace.

My husband says there were several taxi cars for repair, and to him that's a double thumbs up!

• Check the coolant cap . If its a replacement cap it might not be the right size . Or it might be a copy . You should always buy an original coolant cap if the ones that comes from the factory breaks.

If it is not the original , it might be that the coolant will evaporate as the seal is not totally hermetic.

• I am assuming that you have checked yourself that there is no leakage . If you are not sure yourself , fill the coolant tank with coolant in the evening and put some newspaper under the motor . If there is a leak in the system , it will show in the morning.

• It’s not just in Argentina, UK Man . A few years ago, we were at a work location in the Midwest USA and drove down to The wine & food festival in New Orleans, 1500 km away, expecting to be back in a week. As we arrived, lost power in the steering and took the car straight to a highly recommended mechanic, who didn’t return our calls for days, but the shop assistant daily assured us we’d be able to get it in time for the weekend drive back. On the fourth day, we took a taxi to the shop and learned he hadn’t even looked at it. When he finally did so on the 5th day, it turned out he had to order a new steering block, which couldn’t be had before the weekend. We had to rent a car, drive back up to the Midwest, then the next weekend, make the 2-day drive back to get the car, then turn right around and drive 2 days north again. By the 4th trip we were convinced we were in the 80’s film Groundhog Day.

• I am assuming that you have checked yourself that there is no leakage . If you are not sure yourself , fill the coolant tank with coolant in the evening and put some newspaper under the motor . If there is a leak in the system , it will show in the morning.

Good thinking shall give it a try. :thumbup:

I thought the missus hadn't been tightening the cap enough after topping it up but it wasn't that. She bought a new cap to see if that made any difference but no.

• It’s not just in Argentina, UK Man . A few years ago, we were at a work location in the Midwest USA and drove down to The wine & food festival in New Orleans, 1500 km away, expecting to be back in a week. As we arrived, lost power in the steering and took the car straight to a highly recommended mechanic, who didn’t return our calls for days, but the shop assistant daily assured us we’d be able to get it in time for the weekend drive back. On the fourth day, we took a taxi to the shop and learned he hadn’t even looked at it. When he finally did so on the 5th day, it turned out he had to order a new steering block, which couldn’t be had before the weekend. We had to rent a car, drive back up to the Midwest, then the next weekend, make the 2-day drive back to get the car, then turn right around and drive 2 days north again. By the 4th trip we were convinced we were in the 80’s film Groundhog Day.

Mechanics even in the UK have always had a bad name for being dodgy characters...even though most probably aren't.

Doesn't help when customers like the wife and I know bugger all about mechanics so you automatically assume you're being conned. ^^

• Good thinking shall give it a try. :thumbup:

I thought the missus hadn't been tightening the cap enough after topping it up but it wasn't that. She bought a new cap to see if that made any difference but no.

Ask the boss if it was an original or a copy..... . It took me three months to get an original for my Tracker . So i had to live with a copy for a few weeks and fill the coolant up every two days.

• Ask the boss if it was an original or a copy..... . It took me three months to get an original for my Tracker . So i had to live with a copy for a few weeks and fill the coolant up every two days.

The original tank that came with the car cracked. When she went to buy a new one they said would have to order it which could take a while so she just bought a copy. Probably a good idea to get an original.

At least the brakes are now working as they should. Cost 2300 pesos.