Learning Spanish in Argentina

There are 49 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 8,980 times. The latest Post () was by Rice.

• And with the forced introduction of “todes,” will Presidente de todos los Argentinos become Presidente de todes los Argentinos? or even Presidente de todes les Argentines? (Crossing over to French)

How, exactly, will “todes” work? Is there any agreement with related words, or is the masculine form, todos, being changed to a genderless form while all the following words retain their gender? And if that’s the case, what’s the point?

This nowadays common phrase "todos y todas de los argentinos y argentinas" is the most ridiculous use of Castilian language. It serves to ensure that the womens are included. Since the beginnings of Castilian (XII century), the word "todos" included men and women. Another proof of demagogy this time absurd.

Some of this I noted also in English (he/she) in several progressive texts.

This is the first explanation of ‘vos’ I’ve ever heard. Generally when I ask about it, people shrug and say “that’s just the way it is.”

This makes great sense. Thanks!

"Vos" is used now as a familiar treatment, But surprisingly it comes from a way to address a higher class person:

"Vuestra merced", a r espectful manner to talk with a high cass person,

I noted that Spanish language will never grow in the United States,

Spanish is the language of the poor, recently inmigrant people.

A few months ago I was teaching in the USA and there was a Guatemalan lady (of course his mother language was Spanish) and to be sympathetic I tried to speak in Spanish, but she reteruned to English.

I suspect that she was ashamed to show that she was from Hispanic origin. The cruel issue is that his ethnical appearance was not caucasic at all, and this reluctance to speak Spanish would be useless.

To tell tne truth, all related to Spain has a low prestige in the world of today, dominated by the anglosphere. The black legend, (fueled by France, England and the Netherlands), the evident decadence of Spain from the Napoleonic wars until 1955, and the poor development of her former dominions contrubuted to this contempt.

Edited 2 times, last by Carlos: Merged a post created by Carlos into this post. ().

• Before moving here, I was also looking down to Spanish as the language of the party-goers in Costa Brava and Ibiza, useful just as a pick-up between teenagers. However, now that I speak it fluently enough to conduct business, I am very grateful for the opportunity. Knowing Spanish has unlocked some niche market in the US, with those Spanish-speakers living in the US who are not very comfortable discussing topics in English. For them, finding someone that can solve their issues in Spanish, it is a blessing. It is not a well-paying market, but still an untapped market in my business. Hence, even if it doesn't work particularly well for my business specifically, I am sure that there are other business ventures that could get a share of the market just by offering Spanish-speaking assistance.

• John McWhorter is a noted linguist who enjoys exploring all aspects of languages. Here he asks if translation apps will supplant the actual learning of foreign languages. Quite interesting.

[article is unlocked and free as a benefit of my subscription. Enjoy!]

Opinion | Will Translation Apps Make Learning Foreign Languages Obsolete? (Gift Article)
    And if so, is that really such a disaster?
    www.nytimes.com

• John McWhorter is a noted linguist who enjoys exploring all aspects of languages. Here he asks if translation apps will supplant the actual learning of foreign languages. Quite interesting.

[article is unlocked and free as a benefit of my subscription. Enjoy!]

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/0…fVoJojGwBA&smid=url-share

Translators don't help in learning the language per se. I use them for quoting an article written in Spanish because I'm too lazy to write the translation.

Here are some good examples of the nuances of Spanish as spoken here:

Translation troubles: eating stories - Buenos Aires Herald
    The Herald’s weekly dive into the newsroom’s bilingual hurdles
    buenosairesherald.com

• Oh man! That BA Herald article illustrates PRECISELY why attempting language acquisition is so frustrating.

My own attempt was vigorous for the first year or two. Then I realized how easy it was to coast, and I let up for a few years. In about 2010 I realized I’d never be able to have any but superficial conversations unless I became serious about learning Spanish, and I hired a tutor for lessons twice a week. After a couple of months it became clear that I’d taken on a full time job, and I was spending long hours studying instead of enjoying being in this beautiful city.

Given the choice, I’m afraid I’m sticking with the decision to speak lamentable Castellano so I can have long, wonderful days exploring the fascinating nooks and crannies of BsAs.

• Handy for future employees in Argieland.