British tourists shot in Buenos Aires...one dead.

There are 33 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 6,466 times. The latest Post () was by UK Man.

• Official Post

Here's the BBC article (the media plugin below seems not to be working - click on the 'BBC article' words to get redirected to the BBC website).

There is even a video of the CPR here on the Mirror, where it reads the Brits were 28 and 35, and the older one died. It was 11 AM on a Saturday, which I consider an extremely safe time of the day in Puerto Madero.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-50797374

• its a very strange robbery.......when I look at the details and the video it smells of "entrega".......someone sold them out that they were carrying a lot money with them.......

Not just a coincidence robbery, there was 6 goons involved I read.

I cannot imagine anything more stupid than declare large amounts of money in the airport.....don't know if they did......but something made them very interesting for the robbers.

I always had in mind which terrible place Puerto Madero is/could be......ur neighbours: Villa 31, Retiro, Boca, Barracas, Constitucion nearby....... basically the worst barrios of the center of the city!!!!

• Official Post

As Jan said, they were apparently followed by the criminal gang from Ezeiza, from where they travelled in a minibus.

But how were they targeted? And how did the gang know they were carrying a lot of cash? If indeed they were, because I can't find any information on them declaring cash at Ezeiza customs.

Maybe just the mere fact of staying at a 350 GBP/night hotel told them they were loaded.

That kind of tourists should never EVER hire services not recommended by their hotel / tour operator. It's just too risky.

Or maybe the guy posted on FB "We are arriving in EZE on Dec 11 and staying two weeks. Can I pay with my cards?" followed by the usual choir of answers"for 2 weeks, bring plenty of cash". And maybe a little post saying "What transfer service do you recommend from EZE to Faena hotel?".

Next thing you know, you're being set up, followed, robbed and shot.

• Official Post

Las víctimas del violento robo no llegaron a bajar del vehículo cuando los dos motochorros los interceptaron y, en medio de un forcejeo, les dispararon. Uno de los proyectiles impactó en el pecho de Matthew Charles Gibrand , de 50 años, y en la pierna de su hijo, Stefan Joshua Zone, de 28 .

This is the horrific moment armed robbers shoot a British father dead and gravely injure his stepson outside a five-star hotel in Argentina.

The tourist, named locally as Matthew Charles Gibrand, 50, was gunned down by motorbike-riding thugs in an ambush in Buenos Aires on Saturday morning.

His stepson Stefan Joshua Zone, 28, was shot in the leg after the pair refused to hand over their luggage and tried to fight off the robbers outside the Faena Art Hotel.

CCTV footage shows one of the crooks flying off the motorcycle to tackle one of the Britons to the ground, before the other man, believed to be Mr Gibrand, bravely rushes in to kick an assailant.

GUNNED DOWN

First pic of Brit millionaire dad, 50, shot dead in motorbike robbery outside five-star hotel in Argentina

Mr Gibbard is the director of retirement homes firm Tingdene, which last year posted a turnover of £20million.

• a wild wild guess from me: coming to do some real estate transaction or business transaction, requiring a cash deposit......

• The difference to robberies in other countries is, they are VIOLENT!

In Brazil, I think it's more or less codex by the goons to execute or shoot if a victim resist........that way you control the people......to be submissive!!!! Would not be surprised if there is a similar codex among goons here!

Argentina is a third world country in that regard....a victim or a police officer do not have any entitled right to shoot someone.....no matter what the condition is!!!! This is not gonna get better with the current bobos!

We can only hope for a civilian rejection of that sick fact!

Ps: and in Brazil the police have a codex also, how to deal with armed robbers, killers, wannabe Bonni and Clyde......the chance of making it home after being caught in an armed assault is slim!

Here not!

• Interesting that yesterday’s La Nación respected the family’s request not to print the victims’ names, but the Daily Mail and BBC didn’t. I agree with you, @JAN , they were probably in BsAs to conclude a deal which required a large cash deposit; wanting to play by the rules and not have AFIP confiscate the money, the would have declared the full amount. Immigration also asks where you are staying Someone heard and made a call.

In the US and undoubtedly in the UK, all the perpetrators would be caught. In Argentina, I’m not sure. But I certainly hope they are. Puerto Madero certainly has plenty of security cameras.

• A nail in the coffin....

And because Argentina like to be anti cyclical, the new minister of security, Sabina Frederic states that the police use of arms are an abuse.....:facepalm:

Maybe not the right moment to talk about that stuff......

This country gets what it deserves......

A pity that all the ministers have bodyguards and live in gated communities......they would really deserve to get a cup of their own tea.....

• Interesting that yesterday’s La Nación respected the family’s request not to print the victims’ names, but the Daily Mail and BBC didn’t. I agree with you, @JAN , they were probably in BsAs to conclude a deal which required a large cash deposit; wanting to play by the rules and not have AFIP confiscate the money, the would have declared the full amount. Immigration also asks where you are staying Someone heard and made a call.

In the US and undoubtedly in the UK, all the perpetrators would be caught. In Argentina, I’m not sure. But I certainly hope they are. Puerto Madero certainly has plenty of security cameras.

The surnames that were published first on the Argentine media the day it happened weren't the same names that are now being published by the British media. All very confusing.