You should've enjoyed Miami while it lasted.

There are 45 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 8,520 times. The latest Post () was by JAN.

• Official Post

In an attempt to promote and relaunch Mar del Plata and national tourism, the new President is considering reinstating the Dolar Turista, which is a 20% lower exchange rate for Argentinians shopping abroad.

In current terms, it means that Argentinians traveling and shopping abroad and paying with their Argentinian card, would get 1 USD for 80 pesos, instead of the 60-62 that they'd get if they exchanged money in Argentina... always remembering that they can exchange 200 USD per month.

So if they'd exchanged every year for two months, they'd finally get enough money to enjoy their Miami holiday!

I wonder if they plan on heating the Mar del Plata beaches to make them look like Miami, too.

El gobierno de Alberto Fernández analiza la posibilidad de volver a establecer el “dólar turista” para encarecer y desalentar el turismo y las compras de los argentinos en el exterior, lo que a su vez podría significar un impulso para los destinos nacionales como Mar del Plata.
    [...]

Un 20% de recargo a través de un impuesto o de alguna forma de desdoblamiento cambiario adicional a los ya existentes, llevaría el valor del dólar turístico o tarjeta a cerca de los 80 pesos, según indicó Infobae.
    [...]
    En 2013, el gobierno de Cristina Fernández de Kirchner ya había implementado una medida similar. El entonces titular de la AFIP, Ricardo Echegaray, dispuso encarecer el dólar mediante un cambio de alícuota, que en un principio se llevó al 20% y más tarde al 35%, aunque el recargo era tomado como un anticipo del Impuesto a las Ganancias.

• Even that I'm totally against any currency control, I actually think it's not that unfair........ never understood why the state needed to subsidize peoples holiday with USD at a fake rate! Beside that, many of the ones that love mayamey, is peronchos and corrupt politicians.....

• Official Post

Remember this from about four years ago? Well, it's back, so if we use our credit cards for foreign purchases, including Netflix etc, we'll be charged 20% on top which this time is non-returnable.

I'm pretty sure this won't be the end of all this either.

:smiley-on-fire:

https://www.ambito.com/economi…el-dolar-turista-n5071235

EDIT

I had started a new thread without realsing that Serafina had already started one on this subject.

• Official Post

It's the same fake rate at which they can convert up to 200 USD per month because the government-regulated official currency is crap.

While I can see the general idea you are describing, it seems to be self-contradicting.

It's like saying that the controlled USD rate is done to allow Argentinian to save more: buy 200 USD at 60 and then sell on the blue market for a profit. Seriously?

• Official Post

Even that I'm totally against any currency control, I actually think it's not that unfair........ never understood why the state needed to subsidize peoples holiday with USD at a fake rate! Beside that, many of the ones that love mayamey, is peronchos and corrupt politicians

Jan, this is yet another tightening of the screw by a new government that will prove equally inept as the previous one.

It's like being stuck in a fucking time warp.

• I fully agree with u, it's crap!

Doesn't make sense.....

Buuuuuuut the argies that have made it to Miami, I guess are not dying of hunger.....at least let them pay their Italian shoes at the right price, without subsidies....

And as u say, the monthly amount of subsidized usd also I don't get, sorry!!!!

If u want usd privately, buy them......but not with state money....absurd!

• serafina ....

Exactly....assuming u r going in holiday, and really cannot accept Bariloche, mdq, Las Lenas, Cordoba or Mendoza as destination......pay for it!!!!

Or more easy just stop the fooling around with the rates.....much more easy!!!!

• I don’t understand how NOT charging Argentines 20% more for foreign purchases, not just vacations abroad but Netflix or Amazon, would be subsidizing their vacations or purchases?

I understand that ham-handedly tacking on a 20% surcharge on foreign purchases provides a powerful incentive for spending money at home. But I just don’t understand how NOT adding this tax on Argentines could be considered subsidizing their foreign purchases or vacations. Please explain?

• .....and the magic number is:

82!

Not the euro, the dollar tourista........

Hang on to those crumpled stained dirty USD....let's see if they are really "worthless".

The dollar will rally with this....

• any financial 101 logic would suggest that the blue should move towards 82 next days.......since it's the only alternative that argis would have to buy usd if not using the government usd!!!!! But hey, this is Argentina!

Beside that it should move above, since you would have many that want usd but stay of the records.....

With all this said, expect usd to fall on Monday hahaha :D

• Official Post

any financial 101 logic would suggest that the blue should move towards 82 next days.......since it's the only alternative that argis would have to buy usd if not using the government usd!!!!! But hey, this is Argentina!

Last time the exchange rate bumped, was after the PASO.

I was expecting another bump after the elections, but it just shifted a few points, and then retroceded.

I was expecting a mayor bump on Dec 10 when Alberto took office, but the exchange rate retroceded!

Right now I am just waiting for Santa Claus and exchanging when I run out of pesos. :|

• Last time the exchange rate bumped, was after the PASO.

I was expecting another bump after the elections, but it just shifted a few points, and then retroceded.

I was expecting a mayor bump on Dec 10 when Alberto took office, but the exchange rate retroceded!

Right now I am just waiting for Santa Claus and exchanging when I run out of pesos. :|

serafina .....

U r more likely to meet santa, the real one, than see logic in this country!!!!! That's good news or? Hahaha

• Official Post

It's now confirmed that the tax on overseas spending is a punitive 30%, non-reclaimable.

https://tn.com.ar/economia/dol…-finalmente-de-30_1018626

La cotización para el turista, con el impuesto de 30%, sería entonces de $82, tomando como referencia el precio del dólar de este viernes, de $63,07. Si un turista hiciera una compra con tarjeta de 200 dólares, en lugar de tener que pagar en pesos $12.614, debería abonar en su resumen $16.400.

El impuesto alcanzará no solo a los gastos que se produzcan en el exterior, sino también al pago de servicios y compras online que se efectúen desde el país y que requieran el envío de divisas al extranjero. Estarían así incluidas las facturas de Netflix, Spotify y Airbnb, por caso, y las compras vía Amazon o sitios web similares.