Customer service stories

There are 110 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 15,293 times. The latest Post () was by serafina.

• Official Post

Indeed....but hardly a surprise given what else goes on here.

Well, I would imagine they'd be pretty hungry for clients after 4 month stop. Not to mention the staff they had to keep paying while earning no money during the quarantine.

The 'wrong' hair salon 40 meters away had the owner outside smiling and waiting for some client to come in.

• Do you think the ones that haven’t opened are permanently closed, UK Man ?

Maybe the tenants haven't been paying the rent and the owners won't allow them to open until they come up with some cash.Two of our tenants closed over the lockdown period. One was a mobile shop ran by an arsehole who I suspect was up to something dodgy so we were glad to see the back of him. The other was ladies clothing who was a great tenant. Luckily for us her friend took over the shop. She refurbished it and is doing very well by all accounts.

• Oh Happy Day! Our 3-wk wait for the refrigerator service guy ended this morning! We can finally have milk in the refrigerator that lasts more than a day!

The bill was an even $1,000 USD. For a repair of that magnitude (took 65 minutes), wouldn’t you think the repairman, who owns his own business, would have been eager to bump it up on his schedule by a couple of weeks?

I’m bitching about this in order to demonstrate that Covid-19 is the great equalizer: US service is currently on a par with Argentina’s.

• Official Post

Glad to hear you got the fridge fixed. Nothing like sour milk.

Today I had to do a tramite/paperwork exercise for a customer at the dept of justice and human rights on Paseo Colon which is not something I would normally wish to do, but having an appointment helped.

Anyway, I also had to photocopy some documents a couple of blocks away which was easy and my temp was taken by a policeman before entry (so many government buildings are manned by police?)

and although I didn't have to wait long, I was reminded of a government dept straight out of 1984. Oppressive and forbidding with long rows of cubicles manned by miserable and officious employees who would probably rather be somewhere else. Like on a beach, far, far away.

Customers get charged extra per 30 mins for stuff like this and at least I didn't have to wait long.

• Oh Happy Day! Our 3-wk wait for the refrigerator service guy ended this morning! We can finally have milk in the refrigerator that lasts more than a day!

The bill was an even $1,000 USD. For a repair of that magnitude (took 65 minutes), wouldn’t you think the repairman, who owns his own business, would have been eager to bump it up on his schedule by a couple of weeks?

I’m bitching about this in order to demonstrate that Covid-19 is the great equalizer: US service is currently on a par with Argentina’s.

One thousand dollars just to have it repaired?

• Yep. The dealership, who couldn’t make the repair themselves, had estimated it at $1500 to $1800, so we were actually relieved that the actual cost was lower, not higher. Crazy.

Must be a top of the range fridge. I could buy at least 5 new fridges for that amount of money. ^^

• Of course. But this one is built into the kitchen cabinetry. We could always buy a lesser brand, but then 1) we would have to have wood workers come replace that end of the kitchen (2021? 2022?), and 2) we wouldn’t have the brand we prefer.

Anyway, all of this is to say I never meant to bring that decision into the discussion; I just wanted to point out that, while customer service in Argentina leaves much to be desired, I think there is also some long-distance romanticizing of the GREAT service in other countries.

• Of course. But this one is built into the kitchen cabinetry. We could always buy a lesser brand, but then 1) we would have to have wood workers come replace that end of the kitchen (2021? 2022?), and 2) we wouldn’t have the brand we prefer.

Anyway, all of this is to say I never meant to bring that decision into the discussion; I just wanted to point out that, while customer service in Argentina leaves much to be desired, I think there is also some long-distance romanticizing of the GREAT service in other countries.

''built into the kichen cabinetry''...I like it!!

You're certainly right about great service in other countries being a fallacy. I think the difference here compared to the UK is the ability to get repairmen here who can and are willing to come and repair old stuff. We have gas heaters that are as old as me yet whenever they go on the blink our man is willing to come and fix it. I suspect in the UK they either couldn't be arsed or wouldn't know how to fix it as everything is more modern there.

• Official Post

I'm still scratching my head as to why so many government institutions have a permanent police barrier.

The other day I had to go to the justice ministry for a client which involved a prearranged appointment for rubber stamping some documents i.e a tramite. When I arrived, there was no queue so I knocked on the glass door and a miserable policeman came out and told me to stand back and wait until I was called. So I did, then he came back out ten minutes later when a queue had formed and told me to go to the back of the queue, so I refused, point blank.

He then insisted on seeing my appointment details which I showed him on my phone and then I was let in.

But it was his aggressive attitude that bugged me more than anything and I've already related my experience at the marriage office, which was very similar.

Yesterday in Disco I arrived to pay some bills in the new Western Union kiosk inside and seeing that there was only one person being dealt with I stood well back, but apparently not on the correct side of the tape marking the way to queue. There was nobody within at least four metres of me, but the security bloke came over and said I was standing in the wrong place and I should move one metre to be on the other side of the tape.

I said I was happy where I was but he insisted, at which I told him to mind his own business and I wasn't budging, bearing in mind that if I had moved I would have moved closer to some other people who had just arrived.

He insisted again and I lost it completely, telling him to go forth and multiply very loudly, causing him to retreat to his security corner.

Frankly, I'm getting sick and tired of being told where to stand and what to do and it's fraying my nerves.