All about wine

There are 27 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by UK Man.

• Can anyone recommend a quality Chardonnay?

My favourite of all time is Jacob's Creek, an Australian wine, full of body and not too dry. Obviously you can't get it here, but it's a classy white wine to say the least.

The Norton rosado I'm drinking is too sweet for me now and it's just tasting sickly. I like white wine a tiny bit sweet, but full of body.

The Norton is about $180, but I'd certainly pay more for quality, especially since I only drink once a week, at most. I like to treat myself :)

• Jacob’s Creek is indeed a nice Chardonnay. But here? We haven’t found one worth writing home about. What about Colomé? Torrontes is a better bet than Chardonnay here.

but what do I know? I’m a red wine lover. The inkier, the better, so Malbec is manna!

• Chardonnay ....my favourite is Finca del Norte - Horrible label but I gave it a chance following a recommendation from my remise driver.

Its 125 - 130 pesos from DIA - Haven't seen it anywhere else.

At this price its a great deal - drink it cold!!

Another cheapo is Benjamin - on promo around 140.

Trumpeter is my favourite of the mid range ones - 300 peosos in the local Chino

• Jacob’s Creek is indeed a nice Chardonnay. But here? We haven’t found one worth writing home about. What about Colomé? Torrontes is a better bet than Chardonnay here.

but what do I know? I’m a red wine lover. The inkier, the better, so Malbec is manna!

For some odd reason, I can no longer tolerate red wine. It's very odd.

Is Trumpeter way better than the other two?

• Before I met the wife I was more used to drinking white in Glasgow. She doesn't like white because it's usually chilled so since meeting her I've just gone with the flow....I can drink either.

I think we might have one someone gave us kicking about however she might have used it for cooking.

• Meat in red wine is a treat. I won't count on Argentinian even being open to consider trying it, though.

• For some odd reason, I can no longer tolerate red wine. It's very odd.

Is Trumpeter way better than the other two?

Certainly better but If I drink it very day , the household budget would suffer.

its more like a traditional Chardonnay than the other two.

Can anyone recommend a good rose?

• Benjamin Chardonnay is 130 pesos this week ( maybe the whole month) in DIA.

Two dollars a bottle , can't beat that !

Wouldn't mind a nice chilled white during this hot weather but don't like anything too dry...or sweet for that matter.

• I first had beef bourguignon in a Lyon cafe when I was a starving young backpacker travelling around Europe. Over 40 years later and I can still clearly remember how wonderful it tasted.

Must try and make it when the weather cools down.

• I'm having TORO Clasico. At 81 pesos for a 1.1 litre bottle it's the best valued wine I've ever had here. Just make sure the ALC. is 13% or above.

• Im hamstering on all foreign booze at the moment, whiskey, jagermeister etc. I have a funny feeling they are gonna tax the hell out of import booze. Funny to think back, how expensive whiskey and jagermeister was in dollar terms and how incredible cheap they are now.

I remember jagermeister being around 50-70 usd 4-5 years back....now in coto 15 usd! Whiskey is also on same level as Europe more or less, even bought bottles at half price of europe.

I don't drink a load of that stuff, so if I just stock up now, say 20 bottles, im sure a meteor have hit the Planet or a military coup have taken place before I run out!!!

• Not sure they will increase the tariffs as this would be counterproductive, as Argentine wines would suffer in Europe and USA

But they may introduce compulsory import licences , which will make it difficult for importers and distributors

All the offers you see have been imported with a cheaper dollar/ pound - Prices will have to go up in the new year , no matte what the governmnet does.