The great KitKat rip off continues!!!

There are 46 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 7,319 times. The latest Post () was by UK Man.

• My greatest comfort food here in Argentina is a KitKat along with a cup of coffee....used to be the same in Glasgow.

I've moaned before about the price of them here compared to the UK but yesterady it got even more ridiculous. A pack of four 4 bar Kit Kat in the UK can be had for the equivalent of 77 pesos. In La Anonima yesterday the price for just one four bar Kit Kat was 91 pesos!!!!! :cursing:

Mentioned this to Nazarena the MIL's carer and she said she saw them for sale at a non chain outlet for 42 pesos. So off we went and picked up a box of them. Crazy....when a large supermarket chain refuses to compete with a independently owned shop. Worth noting La Anonima was empty when we were in.

• I noticed the oranges were going cheap yesterday. 29 pesos a kilo.

• Official Post

I noticed the oranges were going cheap yesterday. 29 pesos a kilo.

Because they are old! Oranges are ready at the beginning of winter and those sold now are old. That said, they are still good, but just for juice.
    I guess they store them somewhere to have a continuous supply throughout the year. This is no season for citrus fruits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• In October, we were paying 60 pesos per kilo for lettuce. Now in the same verdulería it is 120. I am guessing that it’s just too hot to maintain a big lettuce crop, so the prices have increased.

UK Man , maybe vegetables aren’t the only seasonal foods. Could it be that KitKat season has ended, so the stores are selling out-of-season KitKats at a premium?

• Kit Kat is unfortunately owned by Swiss giant Nestle.....

Unlikely to give the distributorship to a company they don't own................

I fear the pricing and discount policy is dictated by the retailer in the case that UK Man is talking about.

The KITKATS on sale in Argentina are made by Garoto , a Brazilian company owned by the Swiss multinational.

• Yes I knew they were made in Brasil....still tastes as good as the ones avilable in the UK so I don't have a problem with that. Doesn't explain why a large chain supermarket charges three times what a Kiosco charges for the same product.

Went to Dia today to load up with some coffee. According to their 3 for 2 offer all brands of coffee were included. Went to the checkout and found out my Dia's own brand Colombian made instant coffee didn't register the offer. When my wife complained the girl told her just to go and get another couple of jars which would be free of charge. She also got three packets of mate cocido which were on the 3 dor 2 offer. When she checked the bill later it turns out they refunded all the cost of the three packets of mate cocido she got. :scratchead:

Shopping in this country is a very strange affair.

• Official Post

Shopping in this country is a very strange affair.

Not to mention the receipts that looks like the first Touring's experiment.

If there are discounted items, first there is the list of items with full price, then the subtotal, and then the list of the discounts but often in anonymous form such as "Martes desc. 20%". If you make a large shopping, it's impossible to tell which is which.

• Not to mention the receipts that looks like the first Touring's experiment.

If there are discounted items, first there is the list of items with full price, then the subtotal, and then the list of the discounts but often in anonymous form such as "Martes desc. 20%". If you make a large shopping, it's impossible to tell which is which.

Always thought my wife was taking it all too seriously when she would refuse to leave a supermarket without checking every item on the bill....now I know why she does it.

To be fair the checkout girls don't mind being questioned if she thinks something isn't quite right. Sometimes if we've missed an offer they'll even tell us to go and get another one as it'll be free.

• Official Post

Always thought my wife was taking it all too seriously when she would refuse to leave a supermarket without checking every item on the bill....now I know why she does it.

Supermarkets here are quite sloppy. Often price tags are inconsistent - for example, for a 100 g item they show a price, and the per-kg price in small print is *not* 10 times fold; or there are two price tags for the same item, but one is older and with a different price and on another shelf; or there is a display with a promotional price, but the same item in the aisle is advertised (and later billed) full price.

I agree, though, that the personnel is always happy to help and nobody presses you to move on when you are checking the bill.

If they were showing the discount when they are passing each item on the scanner, it would make is simpler to check that the product is billed with a discount as they are passed through.

I also found very confusing Coto, because they do not display on screen the actual total price to pay. Instead, they show the pre-discount total and the cashier read out aloud the actual amount due. I sometimes don't get the number (which can be also a few 100s off on larger purchases) and it is embarrassing. At first, I was pointing at the display 'But the display reads...' because I hadn't yet understood that the cashier was saying a lower amount and I thought they were trying to screw me. But the cashiers kept saying 'don't mind the screen' so I let it be.

Customer experience is the least of their care, between confusing labeling, unclear receipts, very long checkout times, inconsistent pricing and high sales price compared to mom-and-pop stores.

• I couldn’t agree more, serafina. I remember having the same wacky, confusing experience at Coto, wondering if this could be time travel being filmed by the old Candid Camera.

I now no longer read the Coto ads and don’t want to be tempted by their marked-up-to-mark-down specials. Knowing that I’ll leave there irritated about something, whether because I have trouble finding what I’m looking for, or they are out of the things I need, or the checkout lines are ungodly long and slow, I try to go there no more than a couple of times per year.