Dia 30% discount offer farce!!!

There are 43 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 8,513 times. The latest Post () was by GlasgowJohn.

• So yesterday we popped into Dia as I was needing instant coffee. Had got some Nescafe granules in a bag last week for 180 pesos in the same Dia but found it now cost 200 pesos....a 20 peso increase inside a week is to be expected here so never thought much about it. However the girl at the check-out said we could get it 30% cheaper if we waited until today and spent more than 1500 pesos. I needed it so just bought it.

Roll on today and my wife has just been off the phone to tell me she was in Dia planning to spend 1500 pesos so do I want more Nescafe...yes I said get several seen as it'll come with the 30% off offer. A minute later and she's back on the phone telling me the same bag which cost 200 pesos less than 24 hours earlier is now priced at 250. :wt-hell:

Tell the thieving bastards they can stick it up their a*** I told her.

• so funny, sometimes you can find stuff here priced as in Europe, but only until they get the new pricing in system.....like the whisky and Underberg I bought lately, even cheaper than Germany!

Earlier I managed to get the good BBQ sauce also to ok price.....

Currently I'm looking into buying a new weber or weber style kettle BBQ.....I like to use different grills all the time....nice to be able to variate! And actually now the one I'm really hot on, is a Canadian brand, Napoleon, that makes "weber" style grills.......I have an offer to buy one, that is cheaper than anywhere I can find in the rest of the world......do funny or?

It's like 250-300 usd, and cheapest here is 17.000 pesitos........so just in the low range of prices anywhere else. For sure they will reprice soon when they need to restock for the summer......

This happens with many things.....had it with Nutella also.....140 a jar some time ago.....

• Good luck Jan in getting a bargain price on the grill. All I can say is the seller is obviously not Argentinian.....that or or he's lost his marbles!! :D

I just find the retail trade here a joke....especially when it comes to offers and the small print which is rarely obvious.....they seem to be able to do what they want. Vea here got fined a large amount of pesos a while ago for not displaying prices on items yet when I was in the other week I saw many items were not priced.

• A minute later and she's back on the phone telling me the same bag which cost 200 pesos less than 24 hours earlier is now priced at 250. :wt-hell:

Tell the thieving bastards they can stick it up their a*** I told her.

Wifey is back and I quoted her wrong. The coffee was 280 not 250....so a 100 peso increase since last week and a 50 peso increase since yesterday. The girl at the checkout told her on the QT the boss had increased the price of 300 items overnight. :rolleyes:

• UK Man

Yes it's a Jungle here....

But Argentinian means many things....so sometimes u r lucky and are in a vacuum.......

To tell a story, a German story about Germans......I went to look for a used car end of 1999 in Hamburg.....went around a lot, and ended by a car dealer in a very expensive neighborhood, uhlenhorst......in the center of Hamburg.......they had a car for sale, very low mileage and first owner.........for close to half the real value!!!!!!! I couldn't believe it.....went in and chatted with owner and his wife.......half hour later signing the papers.....(but picking up a week later after transferring etc).

When I went to pick up car, I was sure something, a bad surprise would come, but no!!!!!

Owner and wife shaking my hand and as happy as me!!!!!

What happened?????

I tell u what happened....... they had changed the prices to euros , around half of the German mark, and already put those prices in the display of the cars.....1. jan. German mark would be replaced by the euro!!!! I have never figured out how either the owner or his wife did notice it.....!

Point of the story: is that very German? Don't think!!!!

Things like this can happen with an ice cream.....

But not a car or.......

(I still till now think it was the cabriolet driving younger wife that did the mistake and the husband was to love-drunk to realize it hahaha)

• Yes it's a Jungle here....

Yeah a jungle full of chancers.

To end the story wifey did walk out of Dia buying nothing and to her credit the checkout girl was pleased that she did. Customers waiting in the queue behind her began inspecting the so called 30% off offers in their trolleys. 8o

She has now calmed down with the help of a glass of wine. ^^

• It is frustrating, to say the least. I really always expect that these "specials" are going to be scams, and I just don't go. What makes me crazier than anything is finding NO pricing on grocery items. I like to know what I'm paying; otherwise, why not just go to the checkout line and empty out your pockets?

Also, I don't like Dia. Period.

• Helpful

the bloody discount game here ks a pain in the proverbial......

We were following seats on Buquebus for our pre Xmas break

For three of us and the car it was close to 40,000 pesos . when Cybermonday started it had gone up to 50,000 but we got it for 36,000

OK , we saved 4,000 but not the 14,00 they were saying,

• Official Post

Very tricksy, that is.

• Official Post

In Argentina it is hard to come across real offers, unless the seller is desperate.

I like nail polish from a certain brand, and it is widely available here in chains and small stores alike. Some chains have discounts (40% off or 2x1) and I always keep an eye on such offers.

Once I bought a nail polish at Simplicity, marked 40% off. I thought they the were discontinuing that color. It turns out it was expiring in 2 months. I wondered how do a nail polish expire, at all, and bought it anyway. It turns out the nail polish is not homogeneous, I shake it a lot but it looks like it is clumped against the inside walls.

I found another 40% off in Margarita's and this time the nail polish is expiring in 3 months, and it is runny. I have to apply at least 3 layers to get a smooth result.

An offer is never an offer here.

• We have three Dias here, one within walking distance. We just use it for certain things as due to their small size they don't have a vast brand selection of one particular item like the big named chains do. My tactic is to go in grab what I want and get out asap.

All the supermarkets here inflate prices especially on certain high priced goods in readyness for these so called offers.....usually a week or two before them but doing it only hours before is a bit much.

It's just one reason why I hate shopping here compared to doing the weekly shop at a supermarket in the UK.

• Official Post

We have three Dias here, one within walking distance. We just use it for certain things as due to their small size they don't have a vast brand selection of one particular item like the big named chains do. My tactic is to go in grab what I want and get out asap.

All the supermarkets here inflate prices especially on certain high priced goods in readyness for these so called offers.....usually a week or two before them but doing it only hours before is a bit much.

It's just one reason why I hate shopping here compared to doing the weekly shop at a supermarket in the UK.

Curious to know how many different supermarkets you have down there UK Man ?

As I've mentioned previously, supermarkets here are so dismal that I usually treat them like an SAS assault:

Objective: obtain product

Method: surprise dawn assault

Egress: rapid deployment through nearest exit

Style: do not look back and sneer at other sufferers