Apple charging cables

There are 9 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Rice.

• A very basic question:

The end of lightning cables that plug into the device can be inserted either way; there is no right or wrong way.

Why can’t the end that plugs into the charger be designed the same way?

• They are USB at the other end, which is not a standard developed by Apple.

This allows you to plug your phone to your computer without needing an adapter.

• Except if it's USB-C, which is similar to the way Lightning works, i.e. USB-C is bi-directional, so to speak. (distinguished by its two-fold rotationally-symmetrical connector)

Apple sell Lightning to USB-C cables for around $35 (yikes!), but of course, you need a USB-C port on your computer or charger.

• A practical question: if a cable isn’t direction neutral, why not put something unsubtle, like a red dot, on one side?

• A practical question: if a cable isn’t direction neutral, why not put something unsubtle, like a red dot, on one side?

That wouldn't be any good, although USB (1-3) have a USB logo on one side of the connector which should face the male part of the input port. Bear in mind that USB (1-3) ports can be horizontal or vertical.

You only have to look, really.

• Yes, they have a barely perceptible logo, white logo on white connector. My only point is that if it were easier to see, it would be helpful. And why not?

• You can always draw a mark with a marker or add a drop of nail polisher so that you can feel the raised drop.

My home key has a raised dot on the upper side.