Where to change dollars in Blue market?

There are 101 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by serafina.

• They're booked into the Kerr Historico hotel. Never heard of it until today.

It looks like it was just launched: https://www.kerhistoric.com.ar/

I saw on the map where it is: on the border with Puerto Madero. I'd rather go there at night than in downtown San Telmo.

It is true that not all areas of San Telmo are sketchy after dawn, but you need to develop a radar to smell the sketchy Buenos Aires' calles. An empty street at night in Europe doesn't mean anything, here should steer you away immediately.

• They're pretty savvy travellers so know all the precautions to take. My BIL is 75 so I can't see them painting the town red after midnight. :D

• Qué es el dólar “contado con liqui”?
    Es una operación la cual una persona o empresa puede cambiar pesos argentinos por dólares en el exterior, mediante la compra-venta de acciones o títulos de deuda , como por ejemplo, los bonos inyectados en el mercado recientemente por la ANSES como el Bonar X.

Basically u trade a stock or bond that is traded both in USA and here......

The price is the same, but it shows the real USD/peso value......

Another piece on the subject:

https://www.armstrongeconomics…rrency-rate-in-argentina/

• Qué es el dólar “contado con liqui”?
    Es una operación la cual una persona o empresa puede cambiar pesos argentinos por dólares en el exterior, mediante la compra-venta de acciones o títulos de deuda , como por ejemplo, los bonos inyectados en el mercado recientemente por la ANSES como el Bonar X.

Basically u trade a stock or bond that is traded both in USA and here......

The price is the same, but it shows the real USD/peso value......

Another piece on the subject:

https://www.armstrongeconomics…rrency-rate-in-argentina/

• Last week we went to the place on Scalabrini to exchange and we were told they were exchanging at 1 pesos less because we had older bills.

Now I have found this piece on Ambito on the subject: some places downright refuse to exchange older bills (90's series), some exchange them for 3-4-5% less, especially the 'small head' Bens. The reason seems to be that they cannot resell them easily, as people are worried of deterioration over time (remember that here these bills are stacked under the mattress).

The only place where they are exchanged at the current rate is the bank, but the rate is already far worse than the blue rate.

0037174640.jpg

• yea, the Argentinian can allow themselves to be picky......you cannot just accept any usd bill....... hahaha!

The world upside down.......

• serafina , I’d be glad to exchange new bills for your old ones. No problem at all.

No worries, we just have two bills left and one pesos less over a 200 USD exchange is really a small amount (200 pesos is about 3 USD).

Right now my husband has sorted bills based on their serial no., so that we will exchange older bills first consistently.

It seems crazy... I think only Uncle Scrooge had this attachment to the physical currency.

4bf25b2c-000a-4304-9af7-4f82ac95e0f0.jpeg

• New
    • Helpful

just did a Western Union transaction to get money here.......

I used my Payoneer prepaid card to wire 100 eur as a test......here is the outcome:

Sent 100 eur + 4.99 eur fee

Got 7945.16 pesos!!!

Assuming that USD/EUR is 1.10 right now now that's an exchange rate of 72 for usd more or less plus fee. Quite ok!

And I just tested with 100, u can actually send 1000 or more, then the fee is unimportant.

Gonna use this more often.......by using the ATM, I get 4000 pesos and it cost me 89 usd......which is 45 per dollar.....huge difference!!!!

• JAN Thanks for flagging up Western Union - I always thought they were fuddy duddy and expensive

I just sent a transfer from my Glasgow account and got 94.5 to the Pound.

The official rate is 77 / 78...

They seem to be using the Contado con liquidacion system

Take advantage while it lasts

Their fees are slightly higher than AZIMO and Small world transfers , but their exchange rate is so much better.

JAN , I owe you a beer....

• I just sent a transfer from my Glasgow account and got 94.5 to the Pound.

Can you please expand a little?

Do you have to bring in paperwork to WU to be able to collect the money?

Is there a restriction based on residency/citizenship?

I have never used WU, but I was always told to never send money to yourself from your accounts abroad as it involves loads of paperwork on the origin on funds.

• no paperwork......

You just verify your person through ur bank account in Europe, if u wanna send larger amounts.

I just locked on through the system in my abn amro account and that's it!

U don't need to do this though, only if u send over 5000 usd.

The current euro rate 81.68 though WU!!!!

It took me 2 min to pick up the money by a carrefour WU desk yesterday.......easypeacy!!!

:bananadance:

• Holy banana! that's 10 more pesos than the blue market! There is a small PagoFacil-WU office one block from here. What kind of ID do you present to collect the money? Local or foreign?

• no idea if the Argentinian gestapo is picking me up for money laundering 100 euros......:D

Anyway I could also have used passport.....to stay of the records!

Anyway the amounts we are talking about here, I think is reasonable harmless and of no interest to the authorities.