English is for England - the Official Argentinian tourism office website says

There are 20 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 3,891 times. The latest Post () was by Rice.

• Official Post

Well, for Portuguese it makes sense as most of their Portuguese-speaking tourists are from Brazil. But I doubt that there are so many English tourists in Argentina as to justify the English flag.

Ah, I see what you're getting at now. Unfortunately this country still has a hang-up with the union flag in certain areas, mainly because of the Falklands, so they often use the US flag to denote English.

:unionjack:

• Hahahaha so childish......

How can you forget what a ferrous attack that the English suddenly decided to start out of nothing!!!

:scratchead:

Hahahaha

Would like to know WHAT exactly the kids in school are teached about in this matter....I mean like how the thing started........ahhhhh forget it, maybe I don't wanna know.

• Official Post

It's the generic use of the word ingles, really. For example I'll be translating my book The Last British President into Spanish (eventually), but was advised that El Ultimo Presidente Ingles would be preferable to using the word britanico.

This is because most, not all, Argentines consider that anyone from the UK, is English, regardless of whether that's England, Scotland, Wales or N.Ireland. It's confusing enough to define UK, but I suppose the Argentines have simplified it somewhat by referring to us simply as los ingleses.

• Official Post

<woltlab-quote data-author="Splinter" data-link="https://www.argentinaexpats.org/forum/index.php?thread/2002-english-is-for-england-the-official-argentinian-tourism-office-website-says/&amp;postID=13887#post13887"><p>It's the generic use of the word <em>ingles</em>, really. For example I'll be translating my book The Last British President into Spanish (eventually), but was advised that <em>El Ultimo Presidente Ingles</em> would be preferable to using the word <em>britanico</em>.</p>
    <p>This is because most, not all, Argentines consider that anyone from the UK, is English, regardless of whether that's England, Scotland, Wales or N.Ireland. It's confusing enough to define UK, but I suppose the Argentines have simplified it somewhat by referring to us simply as <em>los ingleses</em>.</p></woltlab-quote><p>If it is any better, in Italian we use the same generalization. And we call “Americans” people from the USA, specifically.

Eventually, we’ll end up in hell for all these sins 😁</p>
    <p><br></p>
    <p><br></p>
    <p>Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk</p>

• Ah but Americans are from the USA. It’s a perfectly acceptable thing to call them as its right there in the title of their country. Of course calling an Argentine an American would be factually correct but also needless. It would be like calling you a European all the time instead of Italian.

Argentines hate the Americans being called that even though it’s part of the name of their country. I love that it bothers them so much.

Calling someone from Wales British is fine, while calling them English is just incorrect. When people assume I am English and I correct them they seem to relax more knowing that I am not from England, I have no idea why.

• Official Post

Precisely.

You only have to watch their facial expression change when you say that in fact you're Scottish, Welsh or Irish.

Mind you, I've often told people that I'm Welsh and their faces go blank which clearly indicates that they have no idea where Wales is. Often they don't acknowledge that and simply say 'How nice.'

• Of the English topic.....here in Argentina many ask if I'm from Brazil......I don't know how to respond... hahahaha....even had some ask if I'm from Asia..... seriously! So my guess is: many don't have a blimp of knowledge of the differences outside of South America........

So English Scottish Brit or Scott is maybe to push it.....

• Official Post

Of the English topic.....here in Argentina many ask if I'm from Brazil......I don't know how to respond... hahahaha....even had some ask if I'm from Asia..... seriously! So my guess is: many don't have a blimp of knowledge of the differences outside of South America........

So English Scottish Brit or Scott is maybe to push it.....

I am one of the fellow wrongly-assumed Brazilians! I guess that Brazil had many German immigrants, so they put German-looking together with “can speak Spanish with a light accent” as “must be Brazilian!!!”

Once I got Australian, Belarus (?), France.

Most of the time they think I am French, or Brazilian, or German, or Russian. In that order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• serafina .....

There u see .......how on Earth if u cannot differ a face, in general, are u supposed to know difference that subtile like Welsh, Scot, English or whatever.....

I tell u, I don't have the slightest look of Brazilian.....I'm "Germanic".....not Brazil Germanic but European, scandi Germanic.

It's funny, it's one of my favourite sports...to guess people, where they r from......I would say I get it 9/10 right.

• Rice ....

I go more deep.....the face, the structure etc.......not the clothes.....

I know you will have "Chinese" face in Germany too or a Russian in USA......but in general.....I don't talk about the background mob to a Obama gathering, I know u have each color and face structure of the planet there.....:D

I mean, if u would take 100 Germans f.ex., and then 100 Italians, u would straight away see the difference....

And sorry, I don't believe in this crap "we are all the same" Blablabla.....

I used to be by Oktoberfest in Munich each year, btw started last Saturday.......there u have a wide selection of nationalities..... Of course a jap is easy to spot, but ok New Zealand vs Aussie? Dutch vs Belgium? And so on.....but at a certain point u start to see small differences. F.ex, many would say scandis are quite the same.....no way.....Danes very German squared faced, swedes round and very blond, very youth looking, Finn's slim faced, like an Argentinian but with light hair....(and no horse jaws there).

Islandic, Germanic ruff strong faces, I think this could be mistaken with a Scott or Irish sometimes if reddish. Greenlandic....haha, that's easy.... Norwegian, like swedish but more pounds hahahaha......and so on.

It's something I find horrible in commercials in countries with a quite homogeneous population: the need for including a person from each genetic group of the planet......just seem so incredible fake and obviously trying to market whole world as one big blend.

In countries very genetic diverse it might be correct, but in Denmark it just look stupid, sorry!!!!! IKEA, which I love, was one of those companies....(maybe because they make commercial for all world at same time).

• I think the phony multi-ethnic advertising is simply an attempt to sell more products, based on the reasoning that a person is more inclined to buy if he sees someone who looks like him in the ad.

@JAN, you are quite a student of national physical characteristics. But you’d have a tougher time detecting people in an immigrant country like the USA vs smaller, formerly more insular countries.

A hundred years from now, this kind of differentiation will be virtually impossible to see in European countries as well.

• Rice .....

Yes I know......but then the stage 2 n 3 in the ID check starts......8|

Normally you would have half of one genetic you recognize......or the person would be with other people easy to tell, or would behave in a certain way.

It's funny to watch the commercials here in Argentina and try to understand.....

Here they like to use the European Italian/Spanish type in nearly all adds......even that I would say the majority here in percentage does not have that genetic look, (in capital yes, but rest of Argentina no).

• Official Post

I am with Rice on this one. We are pretty used to see different people from different countries in Europe. But before I moved here, I couldn’t tell a Mexican from a Peruvian or a Bolivian or Chilean.

It is still impossible (to me) to tell an Argentinian from an Uruguayan or a Chilean.

The level of blending we are seeing now is unprecedented and will change any paradigm associating certain physical features to a specific country.

Most Americans getting dual Italian-US citizenship are surprised when in Italy they are not considered ‘really italian’ and don’t get into an argument only because they do not speak Italian. Then they find an outlet for their frustration on the internet.

In Europe, we are historically taught that Germans speak German and live in Germany, French live in France and speak French. We cannot conceive the idea of a third generation French living in the US or Argentina and not speaking any French!

However, this is increasingly common and we will have to accept this, eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk