British reaction to car crash

There are 44 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 11,182 times. The latest Post () was by Rice.

• Half of the rules mentioned in the video are overruled daily. Nobody stops to let a pedestrian cross, not even bikes!

Anyway, on the 26th it should be just a bureaucratic matter and they will just take a picture, take in the payment receipt and print the card.

Cost of renewal: 990 ARS.

Re: driver's test - no vision test given? That's a scary thought, with all the creative driving.

Re: bikes not stopping for pedestrians - I'm surprised the same rule doesn't apply to the car/bike vs pedestrian situation as applies to the car vs bike situation. Or maybe it does, but the same observance isn't made for mere pedestrians?

• Official Post

Re: driver's test - no vision test given? That's a scary thought, with all the creative driving.

Re: bikes not stopping for pedestrians - I'm surprised the same rule doesn't apply to the car/bike vs pedestrian situation as applies to the car vs bike situation. Or maybe it does, but the same observance isn't made for mere pedestrians?

AFAIK, this is a renewal because I moved and not because elapsed the required time to take another physical. I am not sure if the new driving license from CABA will expire according to my old license (October 2020) or if I will be issued a new 5-year DL.

• Official Post

Pedestrian crossings here are a bit tricky actually and they are normally at major traffic lights, so when they turn red (depending on direction of traffic) it seems to be an unwritten rule that you can drive over the crossing even if people are still on it when you're turning right for example. Otherwise everyone is honking at you.

Whilst I always give pedestrians the benefit of the doubt and give them room, whilst always going behind them, it's pointless hanging around if the crossing is empty or someone is just beginning from the other side.

Many drivers, especially taxis and bikes, drive across the paths of pedestrians on crossings, which can be fatal.

• Pedestrian crossings here are a bit tricky actually and they are normally at major traffic lights, so when they turn red (depending on direction of traffic) it seems to be an unwritten rule that you can drive over the crossing even if people are still on it when you're turning right for example. Otherwise everyone is honking at you.

Whilst I always give pedestrians the benefit of the doubt and give them room, whilst always going behind them, it's pointless hanging around if the crossing is empty or someone is just beginning from the other side.

Many drivers, especially taxis and bikes, drive across the paths of pedestrians on crossings, which can be fatal.

Must admit I thought if you were turning the pedestrian had the right of way at a crossing.

• Official Post

Must admit I thought if you were turning the pedestrian had the right of way at a crossing.

In my online safety course to renew my license in CABA, there was a part about this.

The pedestrian always has the precedence, unless your (car driver) light is green and theirs is red.

When you are turning, usually the pedestrian light is green, so you should give way.

• In my online safety course to renew my license in CABA, there was a part about this.

The pedestrian always has the precedence, unless your (car driver) light is green and theirs is red.

When you are turning, usually the pedestrian light is green, so you should give way.

Splinter ....

Please include this in the dash cam video if u see it........I wanna see it how it looks like .....never seen it.....also if u see flying pigs.....:D

• Official Post

serafina

The Argentine highway code might say that, but in my experience the rule book is thrown out of the window as soon as anyone gets behind the wheel in this country.

The next time you're out and about, see how much respect motorists pay to pedestrians.

Edit:

Lane filtering by motorcyclists in the US is only legal in California and Utah, by the way.

That's just crazy, because when carried out safely there's no reason why a motorcyclist shouldn't do it.

It's also illegal in Canada, but perfectly legal here and in the UK.

• Yes, the pedestrian does have right of way. The point I'm making is that these crossings don't seem to be used in the same way as I've always been used to in the UK.

Most motorists here keep moving, but the priority is NOT the pedestrian. Wrong, I know, but that's the way it is.

Most car drivers try and intimidate you into stopping rather than them stopping to let you cross. BA is especially bad for pedestrians. Here it's better but it's still a guessing game as to who has the right of way due to the lack of painted road marks, signs and green man pedestrian crossings.....I've only seen one of them here.

• What I will never understand here in the driving is, how can no one understand that cars can drive parralel to each other..... meaning, f.ex. when u enter a roundabout, two cars at the same time, u r supposed to continue that also in the roundabout....untill u look if u can change the lane in the roundabout......let's say I'm in the left lane and on the right I have another car waiting side by side of me to enter the roundabout......in 99% cases, the car on ur right will go in to the roundabout like and arrow.......so u always need to be extremely quick so that u don't get cut off and need to make an emergency brake in the middle of entering.......

• I shan't tell you how I got a full driving license here but it may explain why the standard of driving is so awful.....that is if the driver actually has a driving license.

Hopefully it's different in the capital. Here it's a case of who you know rather than what you know.

• Well, UK Man, that DOES sound like a story.

It certainly surprised me. Not that having a driving license has been any use to me anyway as I have no intentions of driving. Wouldn't fancy sharing the roads with my 83 year old mother in law when she takes her car out. She has to have her license renewed every year and doesn't have any problem getting it despite all her ailments.....physical as well as mental. =O

• Official Post

I simply took my UK license, had an eye test and they gave me the license. Renewal was just as easy.

Getting bikes added was just as easy, they simply added bikes up to 300cc and later I took a written test, then a practical which involved driving around a few cones - six if I'm not mistaken, job done!

Now I can ride any size bike.

• Splinter......

U traded in ur UK license????

U did it where?

I'm driving on my DK license since 15 years, but wanna get a local one.......but trying to find a way how to do it easily......I really don't have a moral issue with finding an "alternative" way, considered it's a real drivers license and not a bubblegum automat one!!!! :D

I know Spain n Italy ones u can trade in.

• Official Post

@JAN

This was in Vicente Lopez about six or seven years ago. I just showed them the UK license and they issued an Arg one based on that.

Naturally they didn't understand the paper document, but enough to understand what it was. When I later went back to add motorcycles, I convinced them that I already had a UK license for that category by showing them a diagram of a bike on the license and that was it.

I still keep my UK license of course.