What's for lunch/dinner today?

There are 933 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 106,449 times. The latest Post () was by UK Man.

• We've had an easy day and a late lunch so weren't really all that hungry. All eaten now and they were fine. I sprinkled some Parmesan on mine just for the hell of it and put some of our own avocado in the salad. A large glass of wine helped it all go down. Not usually one for pudding but had some strawberries and cream.

No idea what Nachos are Rice. Not a big fan of pizza serafina although the missus is. Must tell the wife about the parsley Splinter. She mixes beaten egg in hers...she says it helps keep them moist.

• Nachos - really meant to be an appetizer, but in extreme conditions, fine for supper too.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nachos

I so envy your having your own avocados! We could easily eat a dozen a week.

The nachos look interesting, pity the wife doesn't like spicy or hot. The avocados are handy to have although I can't say I eat as many of them as my wife does. The dogs go mad for them which surprises me....they'll even try and eat the seed.

Haven't a clue what's on the menu tonight. We'll be busy this afternoon into the evening so may just buy in empanadas.

• GlasgowJohn Jr was at a school camp last night , so the boss and myself nipped our for dinner at Ley Primera , a restaurant in Ing Maschwitz.

Although it is known for its steaks they had Grilled Salmon on the specials list and thats what we had.

Pretty good, it was too.....

• Official Post

Interesting indeed. :thumbup:

I suspect I'd have to drag the kicking and screaming wife there. ^^

To be honest, I was the only foreigner there. There was also a couple in their '60s, the rest of the crowd was between 20 and 40 years old. The place is small, there is seating outside under a plastic tent.

Most dishes are with meat and veggies. They do a bland version of the original spiced dishes.

• Well yes, speaking of bland, UK Man, your wife wouldn’t balk at nachos the (bland) way we make them. We usually just crack open a bag of corn chips, spread the chips on a big plate, sprinkle shredded cheese on top, and microwave for 20 seconds.

Not a hint of spicy or hot!

But that reminds me of how surprised we were when we first came to Argentina and found that, when people said “I don’t like spicy food,” they included in that category essentially anything besides salt. And this spice phobia usually goes hand in hand with a great reluctance to try anything new, even if bland. What’s with that?

Carlos and his wife and family are international travelers, so they are great sports about trying - and enjoying - new things to eat. But almost all of our other Argentine friends almost seem to think I’m trying to poison them with even something like chicken salad made with only finely shredded chicken, mayonnaise and chopped sweet pickles.

• Official Post

Most Argentines are not keen on hot, spicy food, but I've converted our lot who'll now eat anything hot .

We had Mexican fajitas the other night with crispy fried chicken chunks done in hot taco spice mix with guacamole, sour cream but without jalapeños because I couldn't find any.

They are really hot and I eventually found them yesterday at The Pick Market, Martinez who stock a lot imported goods and popped a couple in the home made burgers. Yummy!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/The+Pick+Market/@-34.4878625,-58.4962793,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xfcd47034714755bd!8m2!3d-34.4878625!4d-58.4962793

• But that reminds me of how surprised we were when we first came to Argentina and found that, when people said “I don’t like spicy food,” they included in that category essentially anything besides salt. And this spice phobia usually goes hand in hand with a great reluctance to try anything new, even if bland. What’s with that?

All the Argentine's I know only ever seem to eat plain cooked non spicy meals. In fact out here in the sticks it's practically impossible to eat anything spicy in a restaurant....I've certainly never seen anything spicy. Ginger is about as exotic as it gets here.

As for tonight's meal. Not empanadas as I suggested earlier but sausage and mash. I fancied some of the excellent salchicha parrillera our local butcher makes. Might make some onion gravy to go along with it.

• Official Post

I am plus one in the not-spicy comrade, so I am doing well in that respect in Argentina.

But I subscribe what you say about the general lack of food curiosity for non-Argentinian dishes, Rice.

I had a neighbour as a guest for three days in a row, lunch and dinner, while they were doing works in his apartment, and I always tried to give him options.

He always went for the Argentinian dish (like lettuce and red tomatoes), and he wasn't even interested to try the European dish of the day (like peperonata, French mushrooms, etc.) . I am not saying he should have been a fan, but I would have never let pass the chance to eat a real home-made dish from another culture. He looked at me like I was trying to say he was NOT welcome, while I was just trying to do the opposite! :scratchead:

• Last night it was chicken milanese prepared by the missus as she always does. Bought them only once already made and they were all bread and no chicken. Had it along with buttery tattie mash and peas. Love them with a splash of Hellmanns Casero mayonnaise. Followed that with strawberries and cream. When I first came here the strawberries were awful dark hard things now they're every bit as good looking and tasty as those available in the UK.

Tonight it's chicken on the grill with potato croquet's and salad....made too much mash last night.

• Official Post

After reading Dan Perlman's latest post on the Caribbean-influenced spot two blocks from here, available only on weekends and for lunch, I dragged my husband there and at 1:10 PM we were the first there and lights were out. We thought it was closed, but the door was open so I entered anyway... and my husband obeyed. :D

You can see the pictures that Dan took on his visit, and his review, HERE.

I am also enthusiastic about the place, which has so many pros a no cons! It is close to home, it offers dishes I never had in my life before, the staff is super helpful, the place is recently updated, with a giant brick wall and colorful Caribbean-style murales inside and out.

Below: my husband all vegan plate, made to order: black beans, rice, friend platano, lettuce, tomato, onion, carrots.

My patacón caribeño: a whole platano (green banana) mashed and fried at the bottom (basically invisible in this picture), covered in lettuce, tomato, pulled beef, cheese and crispy bacon, with ketchup and tartar sauce.

I also had a dessert, called manjar (which means nothing, really, just 'tasty dessert'), a sort of flan made with condensed milk and cheese and it was delicious. I had a coconut lemonade to drink.

The bill came at 1135 PESOS in this little jar, where we put our money.

More pics on their instagram: https://www.instagram.com/barugastropub/

It works like a drink spot during the week, and apparently it is rented over lunch in the weekend to a Caribbean restaurant.

indeed, there were 4 tables with Colombian and Venezuelan families and groups, and two tables of Argentinians (including our).

The staff was very helpful and explained us the various items on the menu.

Barú - José A. Cabrera 4602, C1414 CABA