Supermarkets and prices

There are 316 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 56,237 times. The latest Post () was by UK Man.

• Semigoodlooking

This is for sure not a place to joke around, and for sure not about cheese....:)

I'm not a cheddar cheese eater and have never been.....I think it's an American thing....no country I have been living in have had a lot of that stuff, (maybe UK has, no idea).

We civilized eat real cheese and not this processed stuff.....8| hahahaha

Anyway, if the alternative is the local cheddar, I guess this would be the better option.

Last year I actually bought cracker Barrell extra sharp cheddar cheese in Coto also.

I bought it as an replacement for typical Scandinavian strong strong strong aged cheeses........years they age...forget about comparing them to cheddar......they smell so strong that u can't get the cheese juice washed of your hands for days.....if I wouldn't know it was cheese and delicious, I would throw up I guess!!!! This is traditional Danish type cheese, don't think the other scandi countries or Germany have this type of cheese.

These type of cheese is soft cheese that you can cut with a cheese cutter....unless it falls apart.....but it's not hard cheese.

Here is how it look:

• Official Post

With respect Jan, the cheddar you posted and are referring to, is NOT what we Brits know as Cheddar Cheese.

For a start it doesn't come packed in slices and it's not processed like the truly awful stuff masquerading as Cheddar in Coto and other places.

I'm not sure what Americans define as Cheddar, but I'm pretty sure it's not that Kraft Krap lol.

This is real Cheddar:

Semigoodlooking

Yes mate, that's Snowdonia Cheddar :)

• ... and it is delicious.

The country that gave us the Cheddar Gorge and the village of Cheddar definitely deserves all rights to the cheese!

There is “cheddar” cheese made in the US, and it is good, though not at all like the true off-white British cheddar. The orange color of the US version comes from the addition of a vegetable extract called annatto, which is derived from anchiote seeds, and not only adds the characteristic color but also makes the cheese smooth and less likely to crumble. It can be very delicious, especially when aged well.

US Cheddar cheese is VERY different from “American” cheese, which is not actually cheese, but is called a “cheese product,”

A Canadian named Kraft moved to the US in the early 20th century and, noticing how quickly cheese spoiled, began to experiment with ways to give it a longer shelf life.

Eventually, he settled on shredding real cheddar, pasteurizing it again, mixing in some (ugh) preservatives; and he came up with what came to be known as American Processed Cheese, or American Cheese, known less for any perceptible taste or character than for its fast melting property and its seemingly perpetual shelf life.

• Splinter

I follow u!!!!

It's funny how names can be misused and create a wrong perception...like with cheddar....! In continental Europe, most people would probably think about American cheddar when they hear the name cheddar.....unless you are a top cheese conneseur. I myself, an extreme cheese lover and so are many of my European friends.....if we would be presented with the name cheddar, we would automatically think about something from USA, not England! Really a pity how you can fuck up names and their perception! Beside that, I think very few in continental Europe, like Germany, Scandinavia, France etc., Would even think about cheddar as an alternative! (Because of the conception). A pity!

Let's not get started on the names they use here for cheese, that does not have the SLIGHTEST resemblance to the original cheese......Gouda, fynbo, Hollander etc.

Actually the only cheese I know from here that has a little of the real deal is emmenthal from Coto......that has some emmenthal characters.

• Reminds me of the old myth that English soldiers would wear red coats....that way the rest of the soldiers would not panic by seeing bloodstained fellow soldiers......

That was also why the French soldiers was also wearing brown trousers at the same time....:D:D:D:D

• Official Post

I first heard about cheddar on a Macdonald's menu and it stuck as being the orange rubber thing from the US.

I had no idea it was like the cheese that Splinter posted.

How is British cheddar eaten? Grated like in the picture? Raw as an appetizer?

I stopped eating cheese after 3 years I moved to Argentina. There was no point in buying overpriced rubber stuff.

I love smelly season cheeses like they do in France - they are alike to the kind of cheeses we have in Italy.

I could have a dinner on 4-5 kinds of cheeses and 2-3 types of bread alone. Here, the bread is terrible and the selection SO limited, and cheeses they all taste the same to me.

Personally, I am very fond of fresh cheeses like ricotta, mozzarella, burrata, primo sale... and those who are sold here under the same name have nothing to do with it.

I tried Arrivata ricotta and burrata several times, but only once it was okay - the other times it was not stored correctly and it was too stingy.

Part of the blame goes to distribution and supermarkets, of course!

• Mind you, the French would probably turn their noses up at Cheddar anyway. Not that I've got anything against the French, but you know, all those wars and La Manche and all that.

Regards

Monsieur Le Teabag

Always thought French cheese was overrated especially that smelly gooey stuff. British cheese will only do for me I'm afraid.

• Official Post

Always thought French cheese was overrated especially that smelly gooey stuff. British cheese will only do for me I'm afraid.

I am completely ignorant of British cheese. It was not available in Italy and apparently I missed in my recent visit to London.

Where would one go to have cheese tasting? I confess my ignorance!

• serafina .....

It's not u that is an ignorant cheese lover......like I already mentioned, I have never myself been presented with the option of English cheese on mainland Europe.......and I lived in Prag, Vienna, Hamburg, Düsseldorf, Finland, France Denmark, Amsterdam......never ever really seen it!!!

• From all your posts, I can see that I’m “cheese-näive.” But I’m wondering, UK Man , if you’re talking about Sardo?

No I was talking about the fresh style parmesan you use for grating on pasta....it's pretty good here. However seen as you mention it sardo can be tasty. Trouble with it is the quality isn't consistent. Last couple of times we had it lacked taste and was dry.

serafina no idea where you can go for a cheese tasting. However you'll be able to buy a selection of British cheese in the food department of M&S or in Waitrose.