Supermarkets and prices

There are 316 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 56,110 times. The latest Post () was by UK Man.

• Official Post

We have been holding off some deco purchases for the house. We went to Tigre last month upon suggestion of our interior decorator who had spotted light fixtures that would suite our sought after design style. The place is called Compañia Nativa and it is the nicest store of them all in Puerto de frutos.

We needed to buy two hanging lamps bade of witch basket. The price back then was about 3800 ARS (aprox 100 USD back then). So this Monday my husband told me 'If we want those lamps, it is now or never!'. Before venturing to Tigre again, he gave a look at the prices on the online store and the lamps are 5800 ARS (still 100 USD!!!)

Last Saturday I spotted another store which seemed to carry the stile of decorations we are looking for. It is called Rapsodia and the store I saw was a big one in Alto Palermo Mall. I was curious to go there to browse, but since I am short on time I decided to get a preview online.

A 60x60 pillow with pillow case can costs 50-60 USD in current pesos prices. Are they out of their mind or what?!

• We needed to buy two hanging lamps bade of witch basket. The price back then was about 3800 ARS (aprox 100 USD back then). So this Monday my husband told me 'If we want those lamps, it is now or never!'. Before venturing to Tigre again, he gave a look at the prices on the online store and the lamps are 5800 ARS (still 100 USD!!!)

That’s the bizarre thing. Simplifying the numbers by rounding them, when inflation is approximately 50%, you would expect that over a year, the prices would go up by 50%, not 100% or more.

Eight months ago, a liter of Serenissima milk cost 21 pesos, which happened to be the exchange rate for a dollar. What does milk cost today in your Coto or Vea?

• Official Post

I don't buy milk so I cannot answer. I looked online on Walmart and it says 47,70 pesos, which was roughly over one dollar with Friday's exchange rate (we exchange for 45.50 on Friday, believing that the rate was raising before the PASO and then promptly deflate after the results... boy, were we wrong!!!!)

We lost about 15.000 pesos. But I don't like to think about it as 'lost' money, as it was never our in the first place... and because it would drive me mad to reason in those terms (my husband does, and it is not pleasant to be around him when he runs these numbers). X/

• We did the weekly shop yesterday and didn't notice much difference in prices. If anything there were far more offers on show than the week before. Total spend came to around 7000 pesos although that included the MIL's shopping as well which was larger than normal. We got 20% off paying with Nativa.

The car park was much busier than we thought it was going to be.

• Was in Carrefour and Coto.....coffee marked up!!!! Obviously the import goods will be the first ones to be marked up!

• Was in Carrefour and Coto.....coffee marked up!!!! Obviously the import goods will be the first ones to be marked up!

Yes coffee is an obvious one....despite most of it being shit. However there were a lot of offers on many imported bottled spirits yesterday. That leads me to believe they were overpriced in the first place.

• Official Post

Yea......and the kkukas are surprised :/

According to my kukkas friends, the PASO opened the pandora's box and now the exchange rate is the actual exchange rate that we would have had if Macri hadn't sold the country to the IMF to artificially keep the dollar low (using the K's self-imposed 'official' exchange rate was natural, then?).

What it is not clear to me, is why having a soaring exchange rate is a good sign. I understand this is resuming an old but bad trend from the past, and I cannot understand for the sake of me why this is good in their eyes. It is not like in 2014 we were about to become a first world power and then Macri put it to a halt...

Also, if salaries lost almost 30% of their value in USD overnight (from 45 to 60), how are people happily singing and smiling and rejoicing?

And I am also talking about people traveling abroad, so they will be affected directly by this.

• Yes coffee is an obvious one....despite most of it being shit. However there were a lot of offers on many imported bottled spirits yesterday. That leads me to believe they were overpriced in the first place.

That is great news for us boozers

:bananadance::bananadance::bananadance::bananadance:

• UK Man

U will attract attention in your village....

The red haired Scottish gringo knowing secret tricks.....hahahaha.....

(Don't know if anyone here, except of Carlos, knows where Scotland is though)

• The girl server at the cafe the other week didn't.....me telling her we wore skirts confused her even more. ^^

Hats off to you, UK Man - In the interest of making yourself understood in Argentina, you didn't confuse her with "kilts." I understand that normally if someone uses the word "skirt" to a Scot, a fistfight might ensue.

And BTW, @JAN, (“Don't know if anyone here, except Carlos, knows where Scotland is”)

We’ve been to Scotland (and if I need to show wanderer bona fides, also to all 5 Scandinavian countries as well) - climbed up to Edinburgh Castle, unsuccessfully hunted for Nessie in Loch Ness, and enjoyed the gentle drizzle affectionately called Scotch Mist (Scots' Mist?) . And although my great, great grandparents were born and died in Scotland, unfortunately none of us received that beautiful red hair.

• Official Post

The girl server at the cafe the other week didn't.....me telling her we wore skirts confused her even more. ^^

I had to send a mail courier to Edinburgh three years ago. I went to Andreani's office in San Isidro. While checking for the shipping rate, the young girl at the counter asked me if the UK was in Europe. FFS!!! =O=O=O=O=O

I gave her a blank stare, which she interpreted as 'I have no clue, either' instead of 'are tyou kiddin' me?'. Until I cleared the air by adding "Por supuesto que sí", to which she sighed in relief!

• Rice.... obviously my comment, if anybody HERE knew where Scotland is, was targeted at Argentinian people, and not people here on board.....:)

I would claim most European and Americans have a slight clue hahahaha

• Official Post

The best I ever had here, from an adult, without kidding......"if you can get to Germany by train" hahaha!

:D

Apparently, someone else, in Germany, didn't find it inappropriate:

German railway nixes plan for 'Anne Frank' train

Deutsche Bahn caused an outcry when it announced it would name one of its new trains after the writer. The Anne Frank museum said it was inappropriate in light of Frank's deportation to Auschwitz.

• Must say I don't think I ever met an Argentine during all my years of travelling and living in Scotland. I think that's part of the problem here...it's a bit isolated to the rest of the world.

Anyone here I know who travels has a few bob and either goes to Spain or Miami.

• Splinter

Changed the title of the thread from “Supermarkets” to “Supermarkets and prices”.