Supermarkets and prices

There are 316 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 56,124 times. The latest Post () was by UK Man.

• I the supermarket, like Coto or Carrefour, I realize why democracy and elections will never work here.....please take a moment next time you are shopping and look at how people extract, pull, force, rip the bags of for putting in the vegetables......my guess would be the majority, or more like 70-80%, pull the bag with full force in the entire width of the bag......which means you need to say rip of 20 cm in one go........if you just start ripping of sideways like a zipper would un-zip, a baby can pull it of! Just saw a guy in Coto having a 10 time go in trying to pull of a bag.....got more and more brutal......my god help us!!!

This is something I have been observing since day one here in Argentina!!!!!

(In Recoleta, Palermo Cotos!!!)

• Vea bags tend to rip if done your way Jan....no, brute force is the only solution to separate the blighters. I once knocked down the whole stand during an attempt to get a bag for the ruddy potatoes!!

I'd like to know when they're going to do away with those stupid floppy milk bags. Twice in the last couple of weeks we've had to deal with a right mess at check-in after they were punctured by other items in the trolley.

• UK Man .....

U have been here waaaaay to long then.....got integrated well....using brute Force....:)

I my hole life I have never seen people pulling of the bags that brutal, anywhere I have lived!

Never had any broken bags in Coto, doing it the cultivated way......

I would out of heart say chance of a ripped back would be higher with violence......

I have a few times showed some people how to do it "look, I show you a secret".....they looked at me as an alien hahaha! No luck teaching them anything!!!

You are forcing me to visit vea now to confirm my theory!!!!

The sachet milk bags also makes me go nuts.....I'm a big milk drinker and also uses a lot for yougurt .......the odds are quite high you get a punctured....but it seems like thats the only milk u get at low price, "precio cuidados"

• On more than one occasion the arse has fallen out of them leaving my tatties all over the place.

If I didn’t know you were referring to groceries, with the antecedent reference to a fallen arse, I’d swear that the word “tatties” must be naughty slang, and the pronoun “them” must refer to trousers.

• Our Vea have the silliest way to display their potatoes (must remember to take a photo tomorrow if we go).

They stack them on a near vertical pyramid shaped shelf so when you pull one out at the bottom you start a tattie avalanche. I have to assume they do it on purpose hoping you'll choose the scabby knobbly ones at the top nobody wants.

• Do they have someone whose full time job is picking up after the avalanches?

It was so quiet the last time we went I only spotted two workers in the whole place. One at the six check outs and the security guard. Might help to get more customers in if they reduced their prices.

The way supermarkets operate here continues to baffle me....their pricing especially. You have to assume they're forced into it?

• Yea......and the kkukas are surprised :/

It's funny if you look at the prices and then realize that many products have NOT moved on cent, in real price, USD!

I remember back in 2010 a kilo of ojo de bife was around 20-25 pesos, by a peso by 4...that's around 5-6 USD. Today a kilo at same place, Coto cost 300 pesos, by USD at 60.....5 USD....... exactly the same!!!!!

When does the masses realize that ARGENTINA is the problem, and the economy behind, nothing else?

All this would be no problem if Argentina would be self-sufficient.....or close to...but it's far from the case.....just look in your house, at the street, at the things u see....where do they come from? (Or basic products to make, or the machines that make it etc). All from abroad.....bought with USD and not promissory notes! I bet the kkukas are not using wooden telephones from 1700 century, or clothes made with fabric wool from here either.....the whole agriculture sector uses machines from outside, all cars are imported, OR, assembled with parts from abroad........it just cannot work in anyway, unless you would produce all goods here!!!! But how on Earth can you ever explain that to the potato heads running around here.

• That's the same in most countries though Jan yet they still manage to have a stable economy. The UK household is full of goods made abroad.Part of the trouble here was caused by keeping old industries alive by subsiding them. Today you have to be part of a world economy and play by the rules.

• Official Post

That's the same in most countries though Jan yet they still manage to have a stable economy. The UK household is full of goods made abroad.Part of the trouble here was caused by keeping old industries alive by subsiding them. Today you have to be part of a world economy and play by the rules.

I agree with UK man. Many of the machines used in other countries are imported and those economies manage perfectly well. Added to which they have free markets where importing and exporting are not controlled to the extent of this country.

Argentina has a huge manufacturing base, but the problem is that they are crippled with bureaucracy and a tax regime that makes your eyes bleed.

The trouble here is that Argentina's sovereign currency, the peso, is so reliant on external factors that one sneeze and it's crisis all over again.

• That's the same in most countries though Jan yet they still manage to have a stable economy. The UK household is full of goods made abroad.Part of the trouble here was caused by keeping old industries alive by subsiding them. Today you have to be part of a world economy and play by the rules.

Exactly, I know that!!!

That's the reason why I point it out!!!

The difference is, that here people talk about "the peso".......the peso? What is the peso????? (Autocorrect wrote pedo hahaha...mind-reader also). The people talking about pesos, already show they have no clue of economics or anything....the peso or any currency is just a way how to make transactions easier.....not needing to bring a goat to pay for an iPhone or whatever.......but here the people think the peso has an intrinsic value from nature.......it does not!!!!! The value is determined, not by your big mouth or empty promises, but by SALES EXPORT mainly, in relation to all the imports, (of course other factors too). So you cannot buy an iPhone paying with a 20 years old fridge, a rotten tomato or a kilo of wood......you need to pay USD!!!!! Most of the civilized world that you refer to, understand this.....the people here just don't get it!!!!!