Supermarkets and prices

There are 150 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by UK Man.

• My newly discovered Golden Virginia tobacco went up by 25% overnight. It's now $250 for 40g, with the only consolation being that that's the price I was previously paying for 30g Belgian tobacco which is nowhere near as good.

Naturally I commented to the girl at the tobacconist about the price increase and all I got in return was a look that said "Wtf? Why are you even bothering to ask? What planet are you from?"

It's amazing how much can be packed into one withering look, it really is.

• My newly discovered Golden Virginia tobacco went up by 25% overnight. It's now $250 for 40g, with the only consolation being that that's the price I was previously paying for 30g Belgian tobacco which is nowhere near as good.

Naturally I commented to the girl at the tobacconist about the price increase and all I got in return was a look that said "Wtf? Why are you even bothering to ask? What planet are you from?"

It's amazing how much can be packed into one withering look, it really is.

Strangely enough my Gold Leaf fags which used to be 90 pesos a packet went up by 15 pesos last Saturday!! So there was a price hike even before the election.

• I don't understand why they will relieve VAT on mate and not on toilet paper or vegetables.

Half of that is not exactly primary goods of the food pyramid.

• Why in the HAYULL do they even consider charging a VAT on necessary items like milk, bread, etc?

Meds too, I assume.

• Toilet rolls are a ridiculous price....mind you, so are many other non food but necessary items.

My very proper Scottish landlady ( from Aberdeen) in Oxford many years ago posted a sign above the roll of toilet paper saying "Please use both sides."

• Toilet rolls are a ridiculous price....mind you, so are many other non food but necessary items.

From time to time, Farmacity/Simplicity has 2x1 offers and when these are on toilet paper, they are a bargain. We bought about 25 packs last time, 'raiding' about 3 Farmacity stores in our area. The price was the equivalent of slightly less than €1 per 4 rolls (double ply, the good stuff, 30 meters).

Dia toilet paper, even if 2 ply, has deteriorated so much in quality that it is no longer worth it.

Carrefour is our choice, otherwise.

UK Man , weren't you shopping at a mayorista store in Pilar/Escobar? Or am I confusing you with someone else?

• UK Man , weren't you shopping at a mayorista store in Pilar/Escobar? Or am I confusing you with someone else?

Not me serafina...I don't even know where that is. The only supermarket shopping we do during our rare visits to the capital is at Dia around the corner from the small apartment the family has in Ave Uruguay. Funnily enough she left to go there at 05.30 this morning to make sure all is okay.

As regards toilet paper quality here....it varies a heck of a lot and my wife is extremely fussy.

• Argentina must be one of the only countries in the world where you still sell toilet paper without separation between the sheets........why not do the same with the plastic bags in the supermarket.....you can then decide length yourself and then you knot it together hahahaha

What u say UK Man ????

:/

• Argentina must be one of the only countries in the world where you still sell toilet paper without separation between the sheets........why not do the same with the plastic bags in the supermarket.....you can then decide length yourself and then you knot it together hahahaha

What u say UK Man ????

:/

This bum only buys the best...with perforations every 4''. 172 pesos for 4 the other day and it was advertised as an offer!! :rolleyes:

• There are huge multiple roll packages in the windows of some of the little stores that sell mops, brooms, cleaning products etc. Perhaps the prices in bulk are better than 4-packs sold in grocery stores and pharmacies? I don’t know anything about the quality.

• There are huge multiple roll packages in the windows of some of the little stores that sell mops, brooms, cleaning products etc. Perhaps the prices in bulk are better than 4-packs sold in grocery stores and pharmacies? I don’t know anything about the quality.

Quality is usually poor. I'd use it but my wife is very fussy.

• Maybe we need to start doing with toilet paper like with wine: having a during the week roll, and for weekend, another more exclusive one....:D

• [quote='JAN','https://www.argentinaexpats.org/forum/index.php?thread/1932-supermarkets-and-prices/&postID=12760#post12760']

Maybe we need to start doing with toilet paper like with wine: having a during the week roll, and for weekend, another more exclusive one....:D

[/quote]

Save the best for the most important occasions, like diarrhea? 🤢

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk