Remember - no booze on Sunday

There are 21 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Rice.

• Helpful

Most of us regulars will remember that there is no alcohol on sale on Sunday , due to the elections.

So this is a wee reminder for people visiting the site and have never experienced Argentine elections.

If you want to drink , buy it all on Saturday and have a house party.

• It's a weird quirk of Argentine elections, that's for sure. I can't see the rationale behind it, considering you could get pissed at home first from booze that you'd bought the day before.

It’s a quirk of elections elsewhere, too. When I was in grad school in Indiana, I went out to lunch with friends on voting day. We were not happy to learn that we couldn’t have wine with our meal, even though we had already voted (sober or not). The restriction was lifted at 7 pm when the voting locations closed.

I never asked - in Argentina, can you buy alcohol once voting ends on Sunday?

• The Carrefour opposite me and across the road from Velez Sarsfield stadium doesn't sell booze whenever there is an event in the stadium (football, rugby, concert) which I always found strange.

• On the other hand...

Consider the cautionary tale of poor George Washington. When he ran for the House of Burgesses in 1755, the father of our nation got a measly 40 votes. The winner that year, who offered voters beer, rum punch, wine and whiskey, lapped him seven times. Ever the quick study, Washington learned his lesson: while one may catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, when it comes to self-interested voters it’s best to “swill the planters with bumbo.” As in rum. As in yum. Three years later, Washington came armed with ample alcohol—enough for a half gallon for every voter—and won with 331 votes. (One can only assume the hangover cries: “whoa, who did I vote for last night?”)

Founding Fathers Loved Drunk Voters

That's more like it.

• The Carrefour opposite me and across the road from Velez Sarsfield stadium doesn't sell booze whenever there is an event in the stadium (football, rugby, concert) which I always found strange.

Perfectly acceptable to embezzle millions yet you can't buy a beer in a shop after 9pm. :rolleyes:

• Perfectly acceptable to embezzle millions yet you can't buy a beer in a shop after 9pm. :rolleyes:

Worse than that, its 3 hours before a game or concert too. Ignoring the fact there are kioskos and even a Carrefour Express within 3 blocks that do sell booze even before, during, and after the events. The Carrefour supermarket does not sell booze, but the little park running down the side is always filled with fans drinking fernet and beer anyway. It's laughable. Luckily, Velez fans have a fame for being timid and quiet, and I can confirm this to be the case. I have never seen any trouble.

• We are in a metric country...

No one except the brits and Americans use gallons , stones, feet, mph etc.......personally I have no clue when I get a number in the table..... always need to Google and recalculate....

it’s crazy, isn’t it, that the U.K. and US can’t just get with the program and finally go metric?

I don’t have a problem with instantly converting miles to km, gallons/quarts to liters etc., but ALWAYS have to stop & scratch my head on Celsius to Fahrenheit.

(ps to you Brits - the “Stone” designation has to be the most useless and least memorable one of all!)

• And what about you Yanks with all this "He must weigh about 140lbs."?

Isn’t that more direct than looking at a guy and saying “He must weigh about 140 divided by 14 = 10 stones?”

After all, you’re the ones who gave us the pound: why don’t you use it instead of making things complicated by multiplying it by 7?