TV or not TV? That is the question...

There are 12 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Rice.

• Our 32" Philips smart TV died the other day. The repair man said it would cost 2900 pesos to replace the main board (placa).

I was already excited we would be getting a new TV and we went to Rodo yesterday to have a look at the various models/prices.

There are many models, but only a few are 4K and as Splinter said last year in this post, the difference is amazing. It should be noted that 4k TVs are only available from 43" upward. I think we can definitely put a 43" TV.

Indicatively, a new 4K TV costs 20-25k pesos, which amounts to roughly 550 USD right now.

We would also need an arm to fix it to the wall, since our small wooden stand is pretty precarious and we don't think it would hold well the weight of a bigger TV - and we move the stand from the wall to in front of our bed every night. A mechanic arm would be pretty neat. ;(

The arm would cost another 2-4k pesos (we also need a long one, and the longest available on mercadolibre is 60 cm, although longer it would be better), and it should be able to swing downward. since the Tv would be installed higher than our bed.

My question is:

1) is the 4k difference appreciable also at home? I.e. when we watch Netflix, should we look for HD contents to fully appreciate it? Are movies downloaded from the internet high quality enough to show on a 4K?

2) Would we need a faster internet connection to watch HD movies with a 4K screen?

3) Is it really important the brand? At Rodo there was a 50" 4K model on offer for less than 20k pesos, but it was by Zenith.

My husband is of course pushing to repair the TV, but I hated the Philips because the system was old, it was not possible to install Amazon Prime app (only Netflix was installed), and it needed to connect to the internet manually each time (there is a Smart TV button to press, but you have to wait almost a minute or navigate two menus).

My mom in Italy has a newer LG which is a lot faster.

• We are just back to civilization after 5 weeks with no tv at all, so our expectations are lower - - we just want to press a button and see something moving on the screen!

Seriously, I’m glad you raised all these questions, because I want to dispel some of my ignorance.

• The difference is noticeable when watching 4K content of course, but then Netflix and Prime offer loads of content in 4K and HDR and frankly I'm really glad I chose the LG 4K model in the end. The image is incredible!

In fact, when I logged on to Netflix for the first time, I was asked if I wanted to upgrade the Netflix account to include all 4K content, so I agreed for another $2 per month.

Personally, I'd avoid brands like Zenith, Noblex etc and stick with LG, Samsung, Sony etc. It's worth paying the extra.

Depending on what Internet speed you have currently, 50Mbps should run 4K very nicely and believe me, you'll notice the difference.

You may also want to consider a sound bar, because most TVs have tiny speakers. We bought one that came with a sub-woofer and I connected it with an optical cable, although it's also Bluetooth, so you can play your music over the sound bar as well.

All TVs have a VESA design at the back, so that you can mount it on the wall. You can also connect a USB pen-drive for watching downloaded content.

The most common OS for smart TVs is WebOS, but some have Android, so you'd have to ask.

If possible, try to connect the TV direct to your router with a LAN (network) cable for better results.

This Samsung looks very nice:

https://www.samsung.com/ar/tvs/uhdtv-mu6100/UN43MU6100GXZB/

And here's an article all about 4K and HDR

https://www.lifewire.com/diffe…etween-hdr-and-4k-4176961

• Thanks, Splinter, for replying to my doubts.

I was concerned that 4k was just a fad like 3D or curved screens.

I see there are at least 130 4k UltraHD contents on Netflix and I am sure my husband, who like to watch historical movies, would love it.

Now I just have to convince him we need to dock an extra 20k instead of repairing our old TV. X/

This could prove hard since we also need to install an electric fence, thanks to the outlaw masonry work done by our neighbor, which was quoted around 17k ARS.

• It looks like we are in for 8k since my husband opted to have our old Philips repaired. We are going to pick it up tomorrow. X/

• Our last TV purchase for the bedroom was an LG. It does all sorts of fancy stuff which I rarely use as I haven't a clue how to work them...I did once beam some YouTube videos to it while using my tablet which impressed me but I've forgotten how I did it.

I watch the BBC news then the wife takes control of it when she comes to bed. She was watching some old erotic Argentine drama the other night....in between shots of bare boobs and bums she commented 'she's dead, he's dead,she committed suicide etc. etc.

• Our last TV purchase for the bedroom was an LG. It does all sorts of fancy stuff which I rarely use as I haven't a clue how to work them...I did once beam some YouTube videos to it while using my tablet which impressed me but I've forgotten how I did it.

I watch the BBC news then the wife takes control of it when she comes to bed. She was watching some old erotic Argentine drama the other night....in between shots of bare boobs and bums she commented 'she's dead, he's dead,she committed suicide etc. etc.

:D:bananadance: