Are you woke?

There are 48 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 6,426 times. The latest Post () was by MoveToArg?.

• I agree with you. Live and let live as far as I'm concerned.

On the other hand, rendering the non-use of preferred pronouns as a criminal (?) offence is a step towards lunacy, as Prof. Jordan Peterson eloquently states. In fact, he himself was hauled over the coals at his university for NOT doing just that.

Why not make it a criminal offence for not referring to me as him or he? Same thing really.

I sometimes have problems with Peterson but boy did he throw himself into the lion's den on this subject. What was annoying about that whole epoisode is no-one was listening to what he was saying, instead going to the lowest denominator argument. His whole contention was about the ramifications of compelled speech through law. He never really discussed the issue of transgenderism at all, but everyone else wanted to make it a conversation about that. Of course, he became a nazi because it is easier to label someone and dismiss them rather than engage with them to find a common ground.

He also modified his stance - which some call flip flopping - but I call learning. For example, when the protests against in Toronto University started against him, he said he would not call a trans person by the pronoun they chose if asked in a personal interaction. When asked months later he admitted that indeed he probably would call someone by whatever they want to be called. By the way, that video of the students cornering him outside during the protest is an infuriating example of why those on the far left are as bad as those on the far right. Peterson trying to discuss the subject and his opponents getting angry, emotional, and reeling off triggering words and basically looking for a scalp.

He says bizzare things sometimes, but he was sport on and I think the winner during that sage. I doubt he is complaining anyway because it made him rich.

• Official Post

I agree. They only listen to or hear what they want to hear and if it doesn't fit their agenda or go beyond seeing beyond their own noses, they throw their toys out of the pram.

I like Peterson because he's precise and heads straight for the issue at hand and yes, if he flips, he's learned something along the way, which his detractors find difficult to acknowledge.

• As I said, I have some problems with him, mostly surrounding how sometimes he is purposely vague (not on this subject) when he could clarify and ease tensions. However, when he speaks common sense it usually gets drowned out by people who think he is Hitler. I am not even sure he is right wing, but more classical liberal or centerist.

• That’s absurd.

And not at all related to “woke,” a term that has been contorted to include “politically correct,” and now, in this UK Cancer Trust suggestion, to include the completely absurd as well.

(Is this for real? Or Monty Python Meets The Onion?)