A wee weekend on the coast

There are 8 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by UK Man.

• Is it expensive in the winter as it is in the summer? Are most places closed?

Mar del Plata, though it has a million inhabitants, in winter becomes a different place.

• Must admit from pictures I've seen of seaside resort/areas within easy reach from here none have inspired me enough to make me want to get up and go....I'm not really a beach person which doesn't help. Come to think of it there's nowhere inland either within reasonable driving distance for a weekend.

Being Scottish doesn't help. Largs, Helensburgh, Loch Lomond are all within an hours drive of Glasgow. :)

• I used to jump on a train to Helensburgh and start my weekend cycle rides to Loch Long from there passing Faslane along the way. Even on a push bike I was camping surrounded by majestic scenery within the hour.

• Is it expensive in the winter as it is in the summer? Are most places closed?

Mar del Plata, though it has a million inhabitants, in winter becomes a different place.

Much more reasonable if you can be flexible on dates and avoid school holidays and long weekends.

We paid 3,000 pesos per night - the same place is more than double in the summer

• Must admit from pictures I've seen of seaside resort/areas within easy reach from here none have inspired me enough to make me want to get up and go....I'm not really a beach person which doesn't help. Come to think of it there's nowhere inland either within reasonable driving distance for a weekend.

Being Scottish doesn't help. Largs, Helensburgh, Loch Lomond are all within an hours drive of Glasgow. :)

The water on the Atlantic Coast is as cold as Scotland , even in the summer...