400,000 litres of milk produced in Chivilcoy every day

There are 74 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 15,278 times. The latest Post () was by Rice.

• It's cheaper to get a cow, nowadays! ^^

I really would, if I had the space....I have a garden, but I ain't sure it would be enough.....my daughter have constantly trying to talk me into getting live chickens, a pig, a pony, a lamb, a Papagei, a turtle and and and......she just need to catch me in a wrong moment, half drunk and with the money, and she might have luck convincing me! Last week an old guy offered me a horse from a recent deceased neighbor.....was damn close to going for it!!!! Now I realized, I would have been f$@#& with that running around in garden.....

• We might just make up our own self-sufficient Amish style expat farm.....

Then we'll have all our stupid stuff, cheap and well made......cheese, honey, sirup, rye bread, milk, beer and and and.....

I would do it if I had a larger family.....I don't.....I'm basically the only one together with my daughter, that would appreciate and value it.....and for 2 people I can't start a farm.

• For sure by UK Man u can get the milk directly from the cow.....hahaha....or?

Might need to go to countryside to get it!!!!

We sold the beef not milk herd over a year ago. Our neighbour out in the countryside had milkers...think he actually sold his milk to SanCor funnily enough. Anyway, he also got rid of his herd as well after suffering a heart attack.

The yoghurt making sounds interesting...tell me more. My wife is into natural yoghurt and buys it in glass jars. I love Greek style yoghurt but you can't get it here sadly. Do you know what the difference is between natural yoghurt and Greek? I haven't a clue.

• UK Man .....

Yougurt making is just tooo simple......do it, if you want some great natural youhurt....

I've been making for many years, it's really simple....only you need and active culture...but actually the natural one from the supermarket works....(no additives, natural, plain).

The easy process:

U heat up milk to 43c Celsius......add the active culture, and then put in a place that has 43c......u can check by your water heater the temp, or other hot places.....earlier I had a termotanque in closet...I adjusted to make closet exactly 43c, and made the yougurt in there.

To make a nice and firm creamy yougurt, add some milk powder when u heat up the milk.......u get a yougurt nice firm and really creamy.

There are many other tricks to do afterwards....u can heat the milk for an hour, just to evaporate water, to get it more firm f.ex.

The temperature is the most important part.....to hot, the culture dies...I think it's 55c Celsius.....also the taste is influenced by the temperature and the duration of the culturing. But just start by 43c Celsius and 12 hours f.ex.

Right now I'm making the yougurt on top of my expresso machine....I have made a small box to put on top to insulate the glasses when they are in process.

The yougurt you make when u add some milk powder, you cannot beat.....it makes u even skip the chocolate and candy and just opt for only yougurt......so also a healthy alternative!!!!

• This sounds delicious, @JAN. I’d like to try making it.

So when you’ve heated milk to 43 C, you maintain that temperature while you add the culture, and keep it there for 12 hrs (having added powdered milk - how much? - at the start?)?

Then put the resulting yoghurt into a 55 C atmosphere?

• Rice ....

Noooo, u don't store it by 55c, u also store it by 43c !!!! 55c is the point where u fuck it all up and only get sour milk out as a result.....so don't heat to that point!!!

The temperature and time is all variable....u don't need to be that accurate , just don't go to 55c!!!!

After u have warmed milk to 43c +/-, u add the culture, either to milk or to the glasses u put the yougurt in. It's just the starter, so you just need a small tip of a teaspoon in each glass.

I usually add around 200-300 gr powdered

Milk to 2 liter milk......again, this is not needed......but it makes u a killer yougurt, very creamy and thick!

The yougurt you buy doesn't have added powder, so compared to this it's very watery and runny.

Just try one time with a small batch and see how it works. Afterwards you can start big time.

There is one supermarket yougurt that comes in small 200 cc glasses....just buy a few and then use those glasses....works like a dream.

• Cheers Jan...finding somewhere that's 43c sounds the hardest part.

I bought some Vito Italian style natural yoghurt from the supermarket. It tasted great, very creamy, but it felt kind of powdery on the tongue. Is that normal if you add milk powder?

• Rice ....

Great do it, it's so easy!!!

Just make a test first, if u don't wanna waste a lot milk......

By the way.....try and sterilize glasses before you fill them.....boiling in hot water a few minutes, (don't need to...I never had a problem).....that way u r sure only the bacterial culture is alive and not other stuff.

Regarding temperature......u don't need to be spot on....it's said 43-46c is optimum......but anything from maybe 35-50c would work......but the taste and structure changes depending on temp and time......

Just buy a pot 200cc, eat it, leave a spoonful yougurt in, fill the hot milk with some 25-30 gr. Milk powder whisked in, in a hot dark place......then check next day!!!!

After that u are an expert!!!!

I make yougurt in blind, drunk or whatever, without a thermometer....always come out good!!!

U basically can't fuck it up if u just respect the upper temp limit!!!!

Good luck :)

• Cheers Jan...finding somewhere that's 43c sounds the hardest part.

I bought some Vito Italian style natural yoghurt from the supermarket. It tasted great, very creamy, but it felt kind of powdery on the tongue. Is that normal if you add milk powder?

U will need to add a lot powder for that......or maybe it wasn't integrated well in the hot milk.....

I have made different tests just for fun.....trying to add a lot powder....at the end u need a knife and fork to eat the yougurt hahahaha

With the amounts I mentioned, u won't have a problem....even a little more is nice......

Try and have a top brand supermarket yougurt on the side when u test the end product.......u will never ever buy yougurt anymore, I promise u!!!!

The pots I make, 200cc, cost me round

20 peso each....the better ones in super are like 50-60 a pot.

(Milk powder pricy!!)

Without milk powder, just like drinking yougurt style, is the price of the milk basically, so 35-40 peso, plus the spoon of starter.....

When u r up and running u can start getting creative......making other flavors etc.

But by me I always ended by the plain one...... simply the best and most natural.....after that u can always add fresh fruits etc when u eat it!

• Ahhhh forgot to mention on thing: the best way to heat milk is in a Bain Marie....milk in a pot inside another pot with hot water!!! That way it does not burn .....

But ok, u can do without.

Also you can heat the milk in a microwave.....just not above temp I mentioned!!!! But for the dissolving the milk powder the best is Bain Marie....let it heat up slowly and integrate the powder!

• Going to make yogurt today. Shall let you know tomorrow if it's a yay or nay. Found a thermo box we used to keep vaccines in when the vet came to inoculate the cattle so that'll solve the problem of where to keep it warm overnight.

• Good luck, UK Man. Can you set your thermal box at 45 degrees and it will maintain that temperature all night?

Thanks Rice....looking forward to it.

No it's just a styrofoam box with a lid. However it seems if you wrap your pot in a blanket and keep the box in a warmish room it'll maintain the temperature at an adequate level for it to work.

• You could also put next to it a pot with boiling water that will release heat for a few hours.

Too much faffing about serafina....the easier the better. If my method doesn't work too flippin' bad. ^^

I have faith it will although it has to be said the 'natural' yoghurt starter I'm using is Argentine which is of a concern to me. :rolleyes: