Supermarkets lack of pricing items....common?

There are 12 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,790 times. The latest Post () was by Rice.

• Our local Vea was fined 50,000 pesos the other week for not displaying prices on items. About time too I said to the wife as the manager there loves to walk about with an air of arrogance doing sod all while ignoring his customers.

We were back in there yesterday and guess what...yeah you've guessed, several items I looked at had no price. Got me thinking, do they do it on purpose on certain goods when there is a discount to make you buy another brand?

Anyway....here's hoping the manager gets caught again.

• I've come across this loads of times. Doesn't seem too difficult to put prices on items, but maybe they think people will just chuck the stuff in their trolleys and hope for the best?

At least in La Anonima they have one of those bar code readers on the wall for you to use whereas in Vea the wife has to ask at the check out and tells them they can keep it if she doesn't like the price.

• Maybe has to do with the hustle changing it on an hourly basis......😀

In larger Carrefour they have the digital pricetags.....that get updated directly.....no writing needed.

UK Man .....U really think they would do something like that???? 8| hahahaha

Brings me back to the good old days and childhood, when the price label was on the goods....no idea how many times there was "wrong" labels on the stuff we bought as teens.....

• Maybe has to do with the hustle changing it on an hourly basis......😀

That sometimes works in your favour. I was in my local tobacconist the other week and bought some cigars which were half the price they should have been. Either that or the girl made a mistake. Went back a few days later to get more and they were all gone. :cursing:

• That sometimes works in your favour. I was in my local tobacconist the other week and bought some cigars which were half the price they should have been. Either that or the girl made a mistake. Went back a few days later to get more and they were all gone. :cursing:

Happened to me too in the Chinese.....bought a few bottles wine, one clearly to cheap.....greedy me, goes back to look for more before paying....Lucy Ming then realizes the wrong price....stupid me

• Booze is much cheaper in the Chinese for some reason. i found Jameson whisky for $750 there, as opposed to 1100 at Coto.

Probably because the Chinese sell it at the normal price while the thieving supermarkets want us to believe we're getting a bargain when they 'discount' it. :rolleyes:

Similar story with beer. :thumbdown:

• I buy a lot wine in the Chinese.....but premium brands they don't have that often, like boutique wineries or smaller ones. That I buy in Coto when they have 40% of.

A good tool to use by buying wine is the vivino app......I use that nearly all the time.....as uk man saids, in the big supermarkets it's already marked up 50%.

• Our local Vea was fined 50,000 pesos the other week for not displaying prices on items. About time too I said to the wife as the manager there loves to walk about with an air of arrogance doing sod all while ignoring his customers.

We were back in there yesterday and guess what...yeah you've guessed, several items I looked at had no price. Got me thinking, do they do it on purpose on certain goods when there is a discount to make you buy another brand?

Anyway....here's hoping the manager gets caught again.

I hope you reported him again, UK Man !

@JAN , I love the Vivino app too.

• Official Post

Probably because the Chinese sell it at the normal price while the thieving supermarkets want us to believe we're getting a bargain when they 'discount' it. :rolleyes:

Similar story with beer. :thumbdown:

Fun anecdote: a few months ago we spotted a great offer on boxed Kleenex tissue at the Disco in Palermo. It was about 1 euro per box, so I put maybe 10 in the trolley. Then put another 10... and before I knew I had put all of them. My husband was looking at me in disbelief "Where are we going to put all those tissues?!", and I told him that we will never throw away unused tissue, so it is worth buying. Kleenex is one of the best brand here, and the price was great. Plus, they don't expire and Winter was approaching!

At the cashier, the lady wasn't convinced she could sell us 28 boxes of tissues. I asked her what was the problem, and added "If you put something on offer, don't get surprised if the people buy them in quantity!". Her supervisor arrived and asked how many boxes were there. 'About 25', I replied.

She then consulted with someone on the phone to find out if there was a quantity limit on the number of tissue one could buy. After we got cleared, we paid and left. They explained that Chinese raid supermarkets when there are good offers, and then resale the item for an increased price in their shops.

Another Chinese tale. The City of Buenos Aires has this initiative to replace incandescent bulbs with LED bulbs for free. You just need to bring an electricity bill to show you are paying it and you reside in Capital, but other than that...you could present the same bill over and over.

We traded our old bulbs and got new ones, and the guy kindly explained that the bulbs were loose in the cardboard boxes because they were no longer authorized to give them away in their original boxes - after the City launched this campaign, the stock to distribute quickly run out and the same LED bulbs suddenly popped up for sale in Chinese stores! Uh oh!