Boris Johnson is the new UK prime minister

There are 49 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 11,271 times. The latest Post () was by Rice.

• Official Post

If I'm honest, his speech outside Number 10 was quite impressive as was his cabinet clear out, so let's see if he can deliver on his promises.

Can force of personality give the required result on Brexit an other problems? In that department, he knocks Theresa May into a cocked hat.

She was a lame duck the moment she took over from Cameron.

• Why is that? Does he have some hidden qualities that are hard to detect? I'd like to have some positive feelings toward some major world leaders besides Macron, Merkel and Trudeau, so if you are discovering positives about him, please share?

Macron? Merkel? (Trudeau I don't have any opinion on)

I can hear u r not living in Europe mainland!!!!

I can tell u, Germany is a war zone.....it's totally fucked up by Merkels totally mismanagement of the immigration problem. In many bigger city's like Berlin, Dusseldorf, Dortmund, Munich etc., Families have given up on visiting public outdoor pools.......because of quite a few very bad incidents. All my friends from Germany in general is in that believe. To understand: the public pools has always been a linked to summer family gatherings for people without own pool and garden.......

Macron?????? Clearly u need to look more in the news, sorry!!!! Such a charlatan.....hole France is living on the mercy of Germany financial.....a disaster.....also in immigration perspective!

• Official Post

Why is that? Does he have some hidden qualities that are hard to detect? I'd like to have some positive feelings toward some major world leaders besides Macron, Merkel and Trudeau, so if you are discovering positives about him, please share?

Because he is injecting a spirit of 'can do' into the government, so for the moment he comes across as a breath of fresh air. His opening statement to the house was positive and refreshing and it's clear that a change was required from the vacillation and weakness of Theresa May.

We shall have to see if his words are merely empty promises.

• Of course you do! (are you sure that your trolling days are behind?!)

Not trolling......I have a poster of him in my bedroom :)

Anyway, Boris was elected in a democratic way, (not Argentine or Venezuela democratic way, with Pancho's or bribes or similar). I believe England is a fully functioning democratic country, that can decide which road to take......that's how democracy works, (again, if not corrupted!).

Worse than May I have hard to believe he can be! Disaster!

Let's not forget: England casted a democratic vote years back, TO LEAVE EU!!!!! It was a fully democratic vote......the peoples decission....... whether it's good or bad , no one can tell yet..... nevertheless, that was the vote!!!!! Until now that has in no way been respected......and continuously, it suggested that new votations should be made......same way as Erdogan tried in Istanbul.......!

U cannot just ignore a democratic vote just because u don't like it......and try to bend it to fit.....

I'm glad that England seems to get a strong man and not just a people pleaser that talks back and forward and never get anywhere.....

• U cannot just ignore a democratic vote just because u don't like it......and try to bend it to fit.....

I'm glad that England seems to get a strong man and not just a people pleaser that talks back and forward and never get anywhere.....

I don't think anyone is suggesting that a democratic vote should be ignored. But that doesn't mean everyone has to like the person whose party elected him, either. As for the UK now having a strongman as their leader, yes they have. I hope it works out better for them than for the US.

In the mid-20th century, Italy and German had strongmen, and that didn't work out too well for them. In the 21st century, we also have Putin, Kim Jung Un, Erdogan, Maduros, Duterte.

• I don't think anyone is suggesting that a democratic vote should be ignored. But that doesn't mean everyone has to like the person whose party elected him, either. As for the UK now having a strongman as their leader, yes they have. I hope it works out better for them than for the US.

In the mid-20th century, Italy and German had strongmen, and that didn't work out too well for them. In the 21st century, we also have Putin, Kim Jung Un, Erdogan, Maduros, Duterte.

i don't think you can compare Boris with any of the mentioned.....

It's the strategy of the left, always bringing up dictator comparisons, whether it's Bolsonaro or Macri ir now in this case Boris.

With a strong man is meant a strong man, not a strong hand or dictator....May was the opposite, (and female).....

If I was British, and belong to the majority that voted for brexit, I would feel encouraged with May ....

It does not make any sense to make votations and then afterwards just disrespect them.....

Seems like it's in general always how the left move on....pulling the dictator card.....look here in Argentina, it's done on a daily basis, latest with aerolíneas, talking about civil war etc.

• Official Post

I know I called him a buffoon before, because he has behaved like one in the past, especially when he was mayor of London.

However, maybe he has now come of age, who knows?

As for his election, it wasn't truly democratic since only 160,000 privileged Conservative party members voted for (or against) him. That's hardly a popular vote and once Brexit is put to bed, perhaps he should consider going to the country next year.

• I'm not comparing Boris with any of the mentioned (see above: argumentum ad hominem), of course.

I'm merely pointing out that calling a leader a strongman is not necessarily a compliment. Better that he/she be a strong leader, and one who listens to and responds to the people he/she is meant to serve. And even better if he/she is someone who comports as a dignitary of whom the people can be proud, rather than someone who prefers to bask in the spotlight through outrageous behavior....

• I'm not comparing Boris with any of the mentioned (see above: argumentum ad hominem), of course.

I'm merely pointing out that calling a leader a strongman is not necessarily a compliment. Better that he/she be a strong leader, and one who listens to and responds to the people he/she is meant to serve. And even better if he/she is someone who comports as a dignitary of whom the people can be proud, rather than someone who prefers to bask in the spotlight through outrageous behavior....

Why would you bring up their names then in this thread? I called Boris maybe a strong man, and you then start talking bout strongmen from the 20 century???

It's clearly to connect them in some way.

And regarding calling someone a strong man, is not a compliment......even better, seems like he picks a fight now and then!

I remember a newspaper from my youth, yes, a tabloid...bring it on... whatever...

But one of their slogans was: "you cannot be friends with everyone".....how true that is.....

I for sure wouldn't like a leader to be "friends with everyone".....because that would clearly show how useless and without any added value he would be....

The leaders job is to lead and make choices......u cannot always be in between just to make yourself lovable!

And Splinter ......I know what you say.....it was same situation with Trump!!!! So basically they are not democratically elected......because the Constitution only works in your favor, if the opposition get elected, u claim it's not democratically!!!!

So both USA and England need to change their Constitution.....