I'm switching phone providers

There are 14 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,710 times. The latest Post () was by UK Man.

• Official Post

Having just switched from Cablevision/Fibertel ($3000 down to $750), I took a look at how much I was paying for my my mobile phone.

I've been using Movistar 3Gb for $684 p/m (which has steadily and stealthily risen every month) and saw that Claro has a offer of $690 2Gb reduced by 50% for two years, thus making it $345 p/m, so I snapped it up.

I also get to keep my number under the portability law.

It also includes free Whatsapp, free calls to other operators and free text.

It's also worth bearing in mind that if you don't watch films and download huge amounts on your phone, you'll never reach the 2Gb limit, so a drop from 3Gb won't impact me.

On Android, go to data usage and check, you'd be surprised at the data that you haven't used.

• We are out in the boonies this month, with a signal so weak that I can’t make or receive calls, I receive email late and sporadically, and have to try multiple times to send a simple text. Can usually get on the forum only around 2-3 am. Google, YouTube, the news feed, attachments, photos are all out of the question on my new spartan regimen; every night I obsessively check to see how many Mb’s remain. I have toggled off all but the most essential programs and apps.

Yet I am burning through my 3 Gb of data at a rate that makes it inevitable I’ll have used it up about a week before the month ends. Because of the terrible signal, the phone sits on a shelf all but about 45 minutes per day. How the HAYULL can I be using a Gb per week?

• My wife uses her mobile a lot whereas mine sits doing nothing most of the time....bit like me. :cheesy:

She deals with the provider regarding contracts which IIRC has always been with Movistar. It was renewed not that long ago after she threatened to leave if they couldn't offer her a better deal....which they did. We mostly use WhatsApp to keep in touch with each other and friends.

• It's worth noting on iPhone the data presented is start to present and not just for the last month. So, if you see a high number of data used then it may be that. I really can't see how you would be burning through 3GB of data, that's a lot that requires some heavy media streaming, downloading, etc.

• Yep, I’m running through the 3Gb all right.

I’m well aware of my iPhone’s settings: cellular: data: breakdown. I check it every day to see how fast the meter is running.

Talked with customer service on July 12 at 11:48 am and reset the counter then. To this minute, in the past 9 days, being as abstemious as possible, I’ve used 988 Mb. In the week before that, when I wasn’t being as careful, I used 1200 Mb. Meaning that I have approximately 800 Mb remaining for the final 2 weeks. There is nothing short of turning the phone off that can keep me from running out this week.

By the way, customer service said it was precisely the fact that I have such horrendous service that is making data usage so high. Go figger.

• Official Post

I have to say that the mobile service in Argentina is more consistent and has better coverage than the UK, in my experience. That includes travelling far and wide throughout the country.

Oh and the new Claro sim card arrived this morning as promised, so I'm just waiting for Movistar to disconnect me before popping in the new sim.

That was pretty quick, to be honest.

• We just changed from Personal to Movistar . We will save a nice 50% , which is the real reason for changing.

Personal sent me a nice message wishing me all the best and saying that I can change back in 30 days.

If they had kept their promise of two months ago of reducing our deal then we would still be with them.

The replacement simcard/ chip arrived as promised , but they had sent the wrong ones. Quick call to Movistar and it was sorted straight away.

So far the coverage is equally as good - the big thing is waht happens when we travel......

• I have to say that the mobile service in Argentina is more consistent and has better coverage than the UK, in my experience. That includes travelling far and wide throughout the country.

I am not sure about this. I have been most remote places in the UK and have received connection at least nearer towns and up on mountains (Snowdonia, Brecon Beacons, Pembrokshite Coastal Patch, Highlands). To be clear, coverage is not blanket, but it is available for the most part.

On a trip from Capital to Sierrea de la Ventanas I could barely get a signal through many parts of the route. It was obviously available on a detour to Tandil and then in Sierre de la Ventana town itself, although it was patchy there. Service was also largely poor en route from Sierre to Monte Hermso and average at best in the towns. Even in Buenos Aires I find cell service to be failry average. It has been a similar story in other areas of Argentina I have been too.

In UK cities I have not had a problem with coverage for around 10 years. My most recent trip back was the smoothest mobile network experience I have had in years.

• I have been to small towns in Argentina with zero connectivity. It's a bold claim. Hell, I could go 30 minutes away from the city and have my data all but collapse.

I come from and lived in a small town (a village even) in Wales and get pretty consistent service that surpasses what I get sitting right here in my apartment in a major world capital.